Capture HD video directly from HDMI uncompressed

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Smarty, Feb 21, 2007.

  1. Smarty

    Smarty Guest

    Blackmagic has introduced a very novel capture card called Intensity for
    $249 which has an HDMI input and an HDMI output connector. It makes the
    impressive claim of eliminating HDV compression penalties by directly
    capturing uncompressed 1920 X 1080 HD video directly from HDV camcorders (at
    least those which have an HDMI output port) as well as from other HD and SD
    video sources. It offers a number of other impressive features as well, in
    particular real-time down-conversion from HD into SD and the ability to sync
    and switch 2 HDV camcorders with 2 cards in a studio setting. It provides
    HDMI output to drive monitors, projectors, etc. Macs and PCs are supported,
    but do require one newer PCI Express slot. It would appear to allow
    off-the-air HD capture external to set-top boxes equipped with HDMI (and
    DVI) outputs.

    Since copyright materials could be captured and digitized, the advertising
    plainly excludes protected content, and says the board will not be useful
    for those purposes.

    More info at: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

    Smarty, Feb 21, 2007

  2. Smarty

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:02:45 -0500, "Smarty" <> Gave
    us:

    >Blackmagic

    SPAM complaint filed.

    Hey, fuckhead. NO SPAM is allowed in Usenet, so **** off with your
    dumb shit.

    MassiveProng, Feb 22, 2007

  3. Smarty

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:02:45 -0500, "Smarty" <> Gave
    us:

    >Since copyright materials could be captured and digitized, the advertising
    >plainly excludes protected content, and says the board will not be useful
    >for those purposes.

    They likely lie about the card's ability, and the function they
    claim it has is illegal.

    MassiveProng, Feb 22, 2007
  4. Smarty

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:02:45 -0500, "Smarty" <> Gave
    > us:
    >
    >>Since copyright materials could be captured and digitized, the advertising
    >>plainly excludes protected content, and says the board will not be useful
    >>for those purposes.

    > They likely lie about the card's ability, and the function they
    > claim it has is illegal.

    Not spam, or any NG version of it. (And I'm somewhat
    sensitive to it, myself.)

    Blackmagic has a good rep. in the budget broadcasting
    field. Mostly based on their Decklink SDI cards.

    That card has been floating out there for some time now,
    still the post is a reasonable heads-up/ new product post.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 22, 2007
  5. Smarty

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:51:16 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> Gave us:

    > Blackmagic has a good rep. in the budget broadcasting
    >field.

    Not if they have retarded shills SPAMMING Usenet groups due to lame
    salesmanship.

    And yes, it was SPAM.

    This group is about DVDs not some lame asswipe pushing a product for
    sale.

    MassiveProng, Feb 22, 2007
  6. Smarty

    Smarty Guest

    One of my students brought this new HDMI capture card to me today, and both
    of us were trying it out on the MacPro here. It's only been on the market
    for a few weeks (press release announcing it in mid January) and it is the
    very first and only card which does HDMI capture. (I don't ever recall
    seeing a card which does DVI capture either for that matter.)

    This post has nothing to do with shills, lame salesmanship, or "pushing a
    product" as you call it. I couldn't care less whether this company or
    product succeeds or fails commercially.

    My motive was simply to inform others who may not have been aware of the
    product.

    Sorry if it offended you.

    Smarty

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Smarty, Feb 22, 2007
  7. Smarty

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:25:28 -0500, "Smarty" <> Gave
    us:

    >This post has nothing to do with shills, lame salesmanship, or "pushing a
    >product" as you call it. I couldn't care less whether this company or
    >product succeeds or fails commercially.

    Or, apparently, whether or not this Chinese import POS is even legal.

    Cross posting to so many groups is also frowned upon by ISPs these
    days, so if you were not spamming, dipshit, you should at least learn
    to follow PROPER Usenet posting conventions.

    MassiveProng, Feb 22, 2007
  8. On a sunny day (Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:02:45 -0500) it happened "Smarty"
    <> wrote in <>:

    >Blackmagic has introduced a very novel capture card called Intensity for
    >$249 which has an HDMI input and an HDMI output connector. It makes the
    >impressive claim of eliminating HDV compression penalties by directly
    >capturing uncompressed 1920 X 1080 HD video directly from HDV camcorders (at
    >least those which have an HDMI output port) as well as from other HD and SD
    >video sources. It offers a number of other impressive features as well, in
    >particular real-time down-conversion from HD into SD and the ability to sync
    >and switch 2 HDV camcorders with 2 cards in a studio setting. It provides
    >HDMI output to drive monitors, projectors, etc. Macs and PCs are supported,
    >but do require one newer PCI Express slot. It would appear to allow
    >off-the-air HD capture external to set-top boxes equipped with HDMI (and
    >DVI) outputs.
    >
    >Since copyright materials could be captured and digitized, the advertising
    >plainly excludes protected content, and says the board will not be useful
    >for those purposes.
    >
    >More info at: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

    Hi, thank you for the interesting posting.
    For 1920x1080 @ 25fps I was thinking about the transfer rate for the disk
    system that is required.
    Let's see:
    1920 x 1080 x 25 x 24 (bit per pixel) / 8 = 155 520 000 bytes / second,
    is about 155 MB /s (1 244 160 000 bps, or 1.24 Gbits / s)

    It seems the disk system will have to be able to do about 200 MB/s sustained.

    Not every harddisk will sustain this, I just looked around at the seagate
    site for a usable disk...
    It is not an interface issue (SATA or SCSI), SATA goes to 3Gb/s, but more
    a drive issue.
    Any comments?

    Jan Panteltje, Feb 22, 2007
  9. Smarty

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:25:28 -0500, "Smarty" <> Gave
    > us:
    >
    >>This post has nothing to do with shills, lame salesmanship, or "pushing a
    >>product" as you call it. I couldn't care less whether this company or
    >>product succeeds or fails commercially.

    > Or, apparently, whether or not this Chinese import POS is even legal.

    So you are trying to boost their sales? If it defeats DRM I might
    want one myself. Are you sure your not a shill yourself there,
    Mr. Prong?

    > Cross posting to so many groups is also frowned upon by ISPs these
    > days, so if you were not spamming, dipshit, you should at least learn
    > to follow PROPER Usenet posting conventions.

    3 or 4 isn't considered "so many" these days, especially if they all
    contain a common term.

    Hmm... let's see... "Massive Prong" as a "Net Nanny", he's such
    a shining example of polite and civil discourse on the net.

    LOL;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Feb 22, 2007
  10. Smarty

    nappy Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:25:28 -0500, "Smarty" <> Gave
    > us:
    >
    >>This post has nothing to do with shills, lame salesmanship, or "pushing a
    >>product" as you call it. I couldn't care less whether this company or
    >>product succeeds or fails commercially.

    > Or, apparently, whether or not this Chinese import POS is even legal.
    >
    > Cross posting to so many groups is also frowned upon by ISPs these
    > days, so if you were not spamming, dipshit, you should at least learn
    > to follow PROPER Usenet posting conventions.

    Oh.. where did this twit come from. Never heard of Blackmagic? SPAM?

    Damn.. I come back and the place is chock full of dolts. Don't look now but
    that Massive Prong is protruding from your forehead.

    nappy, Feb 22, 2007
  11. Smarty

    nappy Guest

    "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:02:45 -0500, "Smarty" <> Gave
    > us:
    >
    >>Blackmagic

    > SPAM complaint filed.
    >
    > Hey, fuckhead. NO SPAM is allowed in Usenet, so **** off with your
    > dumb shit.

    Yeah.. that SPAM complaint is really gonna resonate. Smarty.. expect the
    police at your door.. YOur internet connection will be terminated. YOu NEVER
    shoulda done that Smarty.. are you cowering yet?

    Q. what kind of numbnut is this guy?

    nappy, Feb 22, 2007
  12. Smarty

    Smarty Guest

    Jan,

    What a refreshing and intelligent reply! I've done a bit of research on this
    specific topic, and it appears that "Port Multiplication" with SATA drives
    in a RAID is an available and more than adequate solution. The web link
    cited below shows simple to achieve 230 MB/sec performance and offers a
    solution up to around 265 MB/sec as well.

    http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/PortMultiplicationGuide.php

    This will certainly fill disk drives quickly!!

    Given that cable boxes and satellite boxes are not generally providing HDCP
    over HDMI, this would appear to be an alternative method to directly capture
    cable and satellite HDTV at full resolution.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Feb 22, 2007
  13. Smarty

    Smarty Guest

    Thanks Ken,

    I won't waste my time with this guy. His name say it all.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Feb 22, 2007
  14. On a sunny day (Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:35:11 -0500) it happened "Smarty"
    <> wrote in <>:

    >Jan,
    >
    >What a refreshing and intelligent reply! I've done a bit of research on this
    >specific topic, and it appears that "Port Multiplication" with SATA drives
    >in a RAID is an available and more than adequate solution. The web link
    >cited below shows simple to achieve 230 MB/sec performance and offers a
    >solution up to around 265 MB/sec as well.
    >

    >http://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/PortMultiplicationGuide.php
    >
    >This will certainly fill disk drives quickly!!
    >
    >Given that cable boxes and satellite boxes are not generally providing HDCP
    >over HDMI, this would appear to be an alternative method to directly capture
    >cable and satellite HDTV at full resolution.
    >
    >Smarty

    Good info, thank you, good to know somebody already did all this..
    Yes, it will take a lot of space:
    at 200 MB / s for 90 minutes 90 x 60 x 200 = 1 080 000 MB say 1.1 Tera Byte.
    That is if you wanted to record a movie.
    It would not be so good if you recorded from a settop box, or even from a DVD player,
    as the source would be mpeg2 or similar, and that is better recorded as .ps or
    transport stream, taking much less space.
    But for directly from a HD camera it is the right stuff.
    Then you need more space for editing, at least double the space, 10TB would be nice.
    Now let's extrapolate a bit:
    In the 1980 ties we were at 10MB for a harddisk.
    Now, say 20 years later, we are at 500 MB.
    A factor 50 in 20 years.
    So perhaps 10 years from now we have the 12 TB harddisks....
    In 5 years from now the 6 TB, and that would be enough already.
    Just to know where it will go :)

    Jan Panteltje, Feb 22, 2007
  15. Smarty

    Larry in AZ Guest

    Waiving the right to remain silent, "nappy" <> said:

    > "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:25:28 -0500, "Smarty" <> Gave
    >> us:
    >>
    >>>This post has nothing to do with shills, lame salesmanship, or "pushing
    >>>a product" as you call it. I couldn't care less whether this company or
    >>>product succeeds or fails commercially.

    >> Or, apparently, whether or not this Chinese import POS is even legal.
    >>
    >> Cross posting to so many groups is also frowned upon by ISPs these
    >> days, so if you were not spamming, dipshit, you should at least learn
    >> to follow PROPER Usenet posting conventions.

    > Oh.. where did this twit come from. Never heard of Blackmagic? SPAM?
    >
    > Damn.. I come back and the place is chock full of dolts. Don't look now
    > but that Massive Prong is protruding from your forehead.

    The dipstick posts from alt.video.dvd.

    What does a stupid nym like "MassiveProng" tell you..?

    HINT: 13-year-old pining for his first lay...

    --
    Larry Jandro
    Video Engineering & Equipment Rentals

    Larry in AZ, Feb 22, 2007
  16. Smarty

    nappy Guest

    "Larry in AZ" <> wrote in message
    > Waiving the right to remain silent, "nappy" <> said:
    >
    >> "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:25:28 -0500, "Smarty" <> Gave
    >>> us:

    >>> Or, apparently, whether or not this Chinese import POS is even legal.
    >>>
    >>> Cross posting to so many groups is also frowned upon by ISPs these
    >>> days, so if you were not spamming, dipshit, you should at least learn
    >>> to follow PROPER Usenet posting conventions.

    >> Oh.. where did this twit come from. Never heard of Blackmagic? SPAM?
    >>
    >> Damn.. I come back and the place is chock full of dolts. Don't look now
    >> but that Massive Prong is protruding from your forehead.

    > The dipstick posts from alt.video.dvd.
    >
    > What does a stupid nym like "MassiveProng" tell you..?

    ..1 inch?

    nappy, Feb 22, 2007
  17. Smarty

    Gene Guest

    You can get ~ 90+ minutes (~20GB) on a MiniDV camcorder tape:)
    Wonder if that would be enough to make the movie
    look OK? It's probably a little better than a double
    sided DVD.

    $400 for a 1TB sounds like a fair price:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/05/hitachi_unveils_first_1tb_hdd/

    Gene

    Gene, Feb 22, 2007
  18. Smarty

    Smarty Guest

    Jan,

    This HDMI adapter does offer a "back-door" type of access to the cable and
    satellite content which could otherwise be difficult or impossible to gain
    access to / extract in mpeg2/mpeg4/H.264 .ps or .ts streams given the way
    the content cartel works and cable/satellite hardware is designed.
    Recompression from the HDMI capture down to a BluRay or HD DVD compliant
    format would be inefficient and risk artifacts and image quality loss, but
    may be the only way to capture and then economically archive this type of
    programming. Alternately, perhaps the cable and satellite providers will
    offer burners in their HD PVRs. Time will tell.

    Since a 1 TB drive has already been announced, holding ~90 minutes of this
    raw content, I would think the time is almost immediate when a very usable
    somewhat modestly priced NLE could be built. Blackmagic identifies Adobe
    Premiere Pro, Final Cut, and other software as already being up to the task.
    Looks like a new and interesting next frontier.

    Smarty, Feb 22, 2007
  19. Smarty

    Frank Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:12:00 GMT, in 'rec.video.production',
    in article <Re: Capture HD video directly from HDMI uncompressed>,
    Jan Panteltje <> wrote:

    >On a sunny day (Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:02:45 -0500) it happened "Smarty"
    ><> wrote in <>:
    >
    >>Blackmagic has introduced a very novel capture card called Intensity for
    >>$249 which has an HDMI input and an HDMI output connector. It makes the
    >>impressive claim of eliminating HDV compression penalties by directly
    >>capturing uncompressed 1920 X 1080 HD video directly from HDV camcorders (at
    >>least those which have an HDMI output port) as well as from other HD and SD
    >>video sources. It offers a number of other impressive features as well, in
    >>particular real-time down-conversion from HD into SD and the ability to sync
    >>and switch 2 HDV camcorders with 2 cards in a studio setting. It provides
    >>HDMI output to drive monitors, projectors, etc. Macs and PCs are supported,
    >>but do require one newer PCI Express slot. It would appear to allow
    >>off-the-air HD capture external to set-top boxes equipped with HDMI (and
    >>DVI) outputs.
    >>
    >>Since copyright materials could be captured and digitized, the advertising
    >>plainly excludes protected content, and says the board will not be useful
    >>for those purposes.
    >>
    >>More info at: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

    >Hi, thank you for the interesting posting.
    >For 1920x1080 @ 25fps I was thinking about the transfer rate for the disk
    >system that is required.
    >Let's see:
    >1920 x 1080 x 25 x 24 (bit per pixel) / 8 = 155 520 000 bytes / second,
    >is about 155 MB /s (1 244 160 000 bps, or 1.24 Gbits / s)

    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (or if after 24 hours straight
    I really do need some sleep), but I believe that it's 4:2:2 not 4:4:4,
    so it's not 24 bits per pixel.

    >It seems the disk system will have to be able to do about 200 MB/s sustained.
    >
    >Not every harddisk will sustain this, I just looked around at the seagate
    >site for a usable disk...
    >It is not an interface issue (SATA or SCSI), SATA goes to 3Gb/s, but more
    >a drive issue.
    >Any comments?

    As above.

    --
    Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
    [Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]

    Frank, Feb 22, 2007
  20. Smarty

    Smarty Guest

    Gene,

    HDV does a pretty good job of it on a minDV tape, and 80 minute tapes for
    HDV are on the market now. Not sure if you can pump HDMI video into an HDV
    camcorder and have it record in HDV. If so, then capturing HD via the HDMI
    port using the Blackmagic and then copying it to a miniDV with a camcorder
    would be a sweet little archiving solution at relatively low cost. Nice to
    see the Blackmagic has both HDMI IN and HDMI OUT ports. :)

    Smarty

    Smarty, Feb 22, 2007