    ironically erases the title and caption that Photoshop would normally
    store somehow in a standard jpg file.

    Bill
    Bill, Jan 6, 2004

  2. (Bill) writes:

    > Doesn't it seems moronic to have developed a digital image format
    > (JPEG) without including a provision to store a short text caption
    > that's readable by all jpeg-compatible applications? About as clever
    > as coming up with a digital format for sound (audio CD's) that
    > couldn't store the artist and song title. How can these things happen?
    > What are the working groups that come up with formats thinking, unless
    > their plan is for us to throw away all of our media and start again
    > with v9.0?

    Ummm, the JPEG standard includes a UserComment field (tag 0x9286), as well as a
    field for the Copyright holder (0x8298). If memory serves the IPTC fields
    define some other fields, such as a bunch of custom fields, a headline field,
    and a caption/abstract field to name a few. If your tools don't know about the
    standard fields, complain to the vendor who made them. I use the command line
    program jhead, which allows me to get, edit, or replace the comment field. I
    use it to store my Copyright marker.

    Jhead is available at:

    http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

    > Enough ranting. I've found that some jpg image processing programs can
    > store textual info, but you risk losing them if you use the wrong
    > program to edit or display the file subsequently. Does anyone have
    > ideas about saving a photo's caption within the image file (very
    > important!) in a standard fashion without going to an inefficient or
    > proprietary format? The JPEG2000 plug-in for Adobe Photoshop
    > ironically erases the title and caption that Photoshop would normally
    > store somehow in a standard jpg file.

    The other way is to embedd the caption as part of the picture. Various tools
    allow you to do this. Since I use Linux as my primary system, I use the
    ImageMagick tools when I want to add a caption:

    http://www.imagemagick.org/

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Bill

    Guest

    Michael Meissner <> wrote:

    > Ummm, the JPEG standard includes a UserComment field (tag 0x9286),
    > as well as a field for the Copyright holder (0x8298).

    Has EXIF been formally absorbed into JPEG? Because those are EXIF
    tags which live in a JPEG file as a TIFF-encoded block of data
    embedded in a "user defined" section of the JPEG image.
    , Jan 7, 2004