    Thanks.

    Raymond
    , Jan 14, 2008

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:fmgg08$us9$...

    > I have a 16:9 display. When viewing DVD content authored in letterbox
    > (not anamorphic-widescreen), I use the "zoom" view mode (instead of
    > full-mode) on my TV to show the letter boxed content.
    >
    > All works great, but when I turn on the caption on the dvd-player, the
    > caption gets clipped off at the bottom.
    >
    > Is the caption position specified by the DVD content? Or is my
    > dvd-player not displaying it correctly? If I have a 4:3 TV, then the
    > caption position is correct, it is out of the picture. But I have a
    > 16:9 TV, so the position it displays the caption is wrong.
    >
    > Will getting a different DVD-player help? I have an old Toshiba 5-disc
    > DVD changer.

    it's the fault of the dvd maker - they choose where the subtitles appear -
    and badly designed dvds will present them in the missing area.
    some tvs allow you to shift the picture up to take account of this - but
    that's still a bodged solution.

    --
    Gareth.

    That fly... is your magic wand.
    http://www.last.fm/user/dsbmusic/
    the dog from that film you saw, Jan 14, 2008

  3. Kimba W Lion Guest

    wrote:

    >All works great, but when I turn on the caption on the dvd-player, the
    >caption gets clipped off at the bottom.

    Use the zoom function on your DVD player instead of on your TV.
    Kimba W Lion, Jan 14, 2008
  4. Kimba W Lion <kimbawlion> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > >All works great, but when I turn on the caption on the dvd-player, the
    > >caption gets clipped off at the bottom.

    > Use the zoom function on your DVD player instead of on your TV.

    Thanks for the tip, that sounds like it'd work. I don't have a
    widecreen tv but I play with others' sets.
    Walter Traprock, Jan 15, 2008
  5. Richard C. Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I have a 16:9 display. When viewing DVD content authored in letterbox
    > (not anamorphic-widescreen), I use the "zoom" view mode (instead of
    > full-mode) on my TV to show the letter boxed content.
    >
    > All works great, but when I turn on the caption on the dvd-player, the
    > caption gets clipped off at the bottom.
    >
    > Is the caption position specified by the DVD content? Or is my
    > dvd-player not displaying it correctly? If I have a 4:3 TV, then the
    > caption position is correct, it is out of the picture. But I have a
    > 16:9 TV, so the position it displays the caption is wrong.
    >
    > Will getting a different DVD-player help? I have an old Toshiba 5-disc
    > DVD changer.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Raymond

    Just one more reason that I detest non-anamorphic DVDs
    Some companies insist on still releasing them.
    MGM is one of the worst. 1.66:1 movies need anamorphic too.
    Richard C., Jan 16, 2008