CapsLock Comes ON At Boot

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PJ Riley, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. PJ Riley

    PJ Riley Guest

    My sister-in-law has an IBM Think iSeries, Windows Me laptop
    computer.

    Every time she turns it on, the CapsLock is "On". She would prefer
    that this not happen, that the computer start with CapsLock "Off".

    I checked the registry at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel and looked for a key, "Keyboard",
    in the hopes that its value was "1" (or "On" and I could turn it
    off there.) No key.
    From http://members.aol.com/axcel216/newtip3.htm (but this URL tip
    seems to exclude WinMe.)

    I checked
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Microsoft Input Devices and there
    was no "Keyboard" key ther either (From
    http://members.aol.com/axcel216/newtip3.htm).

    I downloaded a small program called CAPSLOCK.EXE which can be run
    from the StartUp folder on boot.

    It worked for me (Win98SE, Desktop machine, both on boot and from
    the Start | Run facility. It did not run on her machine. (Or did
    nothing.)

    Recently the mouse port on her machine was badly damaged and
    replaced. It seems to her that it was about this time that the
    CapsLock started this behaviour.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Should I have created a new "Keyboard" key in the Registry and
    assigned a value of "0" or "Off" to it in the hopes that whatever
    was turning the CapslLock "On", this would turn it "Off"?

    Thanks for your help,
    Pat Riley Ottawa ON

    --
    Pat Riley Ottawa ON
    PJ Riley, Jul 16, 2003

  2. PJ Riley

    bb3 Guest

    There should be a setting in the BIOS that allows you to enable/disable
    Capslock at boot.

    bb3, Jul 16, 2003

  3. PJ Riley

    PJ Riley Guest

    Thanks, bb3, we'll try that.

    Pat Riley Ottawa ON

    bb3 <> wrote in message
    > There should be a setting in the BIOS that allows you to

    enable/disable
    > Capslock at boot.
    >

    > "PJ Riley" <> wrote in message

    ..