Cap's on mainboard looking sad

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Shore, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    Craig Shore, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Craig Shore

    ac Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    > mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    > appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    Not a Gigabyte board you have there ;) ?

    This looks a lot like the old motherboard capacitor problem, where some
    fella did the chemical mix wrong. They look really bad, get the board
    fixed under warranty right away. I've seen the 'baked on' look before.

    In my experience with this issue, you may find it all works okay until
    you turn your machine off and then try to power it up again.
    ac, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Craig Shore

    Joy Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    > mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    > appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    Oh no. Cheap Taiwanese copies, take it back to the supplyer. This was
    written about in the 2003 March issue of PC World magazine.
    Joy
    Joy, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:35:43 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >> mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    >> appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >>
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    >Oh no. Cheap Taiwanese copies, take it back to the supplyer. This was
    >written about in the 2003 March issue of PC World magazine.
    >Joy

    What's a copy, the mainboard or the caps?
    Craig Shore, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:33:55 +1300, ac <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >> mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    >> appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >>
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg
    >>

    >Not a Gigabyte board you have there ;) ?

    EPoX 8KHA+, just over 2 years old.

    >This looks a lot like the old motherboard capacitor problem, where some
    >fella did the chemical mix wrong. They look really bad, get the board
    >fixed under warranty right away. I've seen the 'baked on' look before.

    See above, well out of warranty.

    >In my experience with this issue, you may find it all works okay until
    >you turn your machine off and then try to power it up again.

    It was off then I took the photo. II was cleaning it and adding in
    another case fan, it's been a bit hot lately when the room it's in has
    been peaking at about 37deg C. It's working now as i'm posting this
    message from it :)

    I'll replace them if they're important, any idea what they run?
    Craig Shore, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Craig Shore

    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:35:43 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > >> Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    > >> mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    > >> appears to be running okay at the moment.
    > >>
    > >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    > >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    > >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    > >Oh no. Cheap Taiwanese copies, take it back to the supplyer. This was
    > >written about in the 2003 March issue of PC World magazine.
    > >Joy

    > What's a copy, the mainboard or the caps?

    The caps. It seems some engineers were poached from a reputable Japanese
    manufacturer but when they reproduced the product at the Taiwanese factory
    they didn't do it perfectly enough. This product is cheap and it's
    surprising who bought and used it.
    Joy
    Joy, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:33:55 +1300, ac <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >>> mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything
    >>> still appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >>>
    >>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg
    >>>

    >> Not a Gigabyte board you have there ;) ?

    > EPoX 8KHA+, just over 2 years old.
    >
    >> This looks a lot like the old motherboard capacitor problem, where
    >> some fella did the chemical mix wrong. They look really bad, get
    >> the board fixed under warranty right away. I've seen the 'baked on'
    >> look before.

    > See above, well out of warranty.
    >
    >> In my experience with this issue, you may find it all works okay
    >> until you turn your machine off and then try to power it up again.

    > It was off then I took the photo. II was cleaning it and adding in
    > another case fan, it's been a bit hot lately when the room it's in has
    > been peaking at about 37deg C. It's working now as i'm posting this
    > message from it :)
    >
    > I'll replace them if they're important, any idea what they run?

    I think they filter the power for the CPU.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 12, 2004
  8. Craig Shore

    colinco Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >Oh no. Cheap Taiwanese copies, take it back to the supplyer. This was
    > >written about in the 2003 March issue of PC World magazine.
    > >Joy

    > What's a copy, the mainboard or the caps?

    The caps and PC World :)

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6085
    colinco, Jan 12, 2004
  9. Craig Shore

    K & S Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:26:24 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    wrote:

    >Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    >appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >
    >http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    Get the Board replaced under warrantee as stacks of firms have been fitting
    Bad Stolen formulas caps, its not your fault..

    Abit was one of the biggest culprits..
    K & S, Jan 12, 2004
  10. Craig Shore

    K & S Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:33:55 +1300, ac <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >> mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    >> appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >>
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg
    >>

    >Not a Gigabyte board you have there ;) ?
    >
    >This looks a lot like the old motherboard capacitor problem, where some
    >fella did the chemical mix wrong. They look really bad, get the board
    >fixed under warranty right away. I've seen the 'baked on' look before.
    >
    >In my experience with this issue, you may find it all works okay until
    >you turn your machine off and then try to power it up again.

    If you leave it the electrolyte will eat parts of the board away ..
    K & S, Jan 12, 2004
  11. Craig Shore

    K & S Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:38:00 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:35:43 +1300, "Joy" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >>> mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    >>> appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >>>
    >>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    >>Oh no. Cheap Taiwanese copies, take it back to the supplyer. This was
    >>written about in the 2003 March issue of PC World magazine.
    >>Joy

    >What's a copy, the mainboard or the caps?

    No They stole a incomplete Electrolyte formula..
    K & S, Jan 12, 2004
  12. Craig Shore

    K & S Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:46:06 GMT, (Craig Shore)
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:33:55 +1300, ac <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>> Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >>> mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    >>> appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >>>
    >>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >>> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg
    >>>

    >>Not a Gigabyte board you have there ;) ?

    >EPoX 8KHA+, just over 2 years old.
    >
    >>This looks a lot like the old motherboard capacitor problem, where some
    >>fella did the chemical mix wrong. They look really bad, get the board
    >>fixed under warranty right away. I've seen the 'baked on' look before.

    >See above, well out of warranty.

    No its not, cover under the C.G.A.

    >>In my experience with this issue, you may find it all works okay until
    >>you turn your machine off and then try to power it up again.

    >It was off then I took the photo. II was cleaning it and adding in
    >another case fan, it's been a bit hot lately when the room it's in has
    >been peaking at about 37deg C. It's working now as i'm posting this
    >message from it :)
    >
    >I'll replace them if they're important, any idea what they run?

    You need expensive low ESR Caps, this is the main 3-4 phase Switched mode PSU
    to feed the CPU its VCC.

    Get them from Radio Spares or Farnel..

    If you use normal caps they will get very hot and end up doing the same
    thing..
    K & S, Jan 12, 2004
  13. Craig Shore

    K & S Guest

    On 12 Jan 2004 23:24:2 +1200, "Tom Parker" <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore <> wrote:
    >
    >>Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >>mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    >>appears to be running okay at the moment.

    >>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    >Considering their size and proximity to the inductors and the cpu, I'd say
    >they are part of the CPU power converter. I'm not sure if the escaping fluid
    >will damage the circuit board, nor what will happen to the circuit as their
    >capacitance drops, but I wouldn't imagine it looks that great on either front.
    >
    >It's possible without the capacitors that the converter will fry the cpu, or
    >it might just shut down in disgust.
    >
    >They should be quite easy to replace if you are good with a soldering iron.
    >But don't just go to DSE and get any old capacitor with the same capacitance.
    >These are probably low ESR parts with high peak current ratings. Normal
    >capacitors will fail quickly or not work at all.
    >
    >--
    >Tom Parker -
    > - http://www.carrott.org

    I am clad some one agrees with me regarding Low ESR Caps, normal caps can get
    very hot, and explode due to the high switching currents and the ripple
    current going into the cap, the internal resistance and inductance of the cap
    causes it to heat up..
    K & S, Jan 12, 2004
  14. Craig Shore

    gromit Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    > mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    > appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    Hi

    I'd say "deal to it real fast".

    I had my board go bang about 4 weeks ago and it took out the hard drive too.

    One of those times when you're so glad you're paranoid about having backups.
    I lost no data at all.

    Cheers

    gromit
    gromit, Jan 12, 2004
  15. Craig Shore

    gromit Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    > mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    > appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    ------------------------------------

    I should have said it was the electrolytic capacitors that went bang.

    Gigabyte Motherboard.

    Took the circuit board off the drive ..... looked at the other side
    ..... nicely toasted.
    gromit, Jan 12, 2004
  16. Craig Shore

    Tom Parker Guest

    Tom Parker, Jan 12, 2004
  17. Craig Shore

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Tom Parker wrote:
    > Craig Shore <> wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >> mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything
    >> still appears to be running okay at the moment.

    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    > Considering their size and proximity to the inductors and the cpu,
    > I'd say they are part of the CPU power converter. I'm not sure if the
    > escaping fluid will damage the circuit board, nor what will happen to
    > the circuit as their capacitance drops, but I wouldn't imagine it
    > looks that great on either front.
    >
    > It's possible without the capacitors that the converter will fry the
    > cpu, or it might just shut down in disgust.
    >
    > They should be quite easy to replace if you are good with a soldering
    > iron.

    Not that easy, I've tried and failed. And I've soldered pins back on CPUs
    before now, that was easy compared with the caps going through a multi-layer
    mobo with tiny holes, exactly spaced for a certain cap.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 12, 2004
  18. Craig Shore

    colinco Guest

    colinco, Jan 12, 2004
  19. Craig Shore

    Fuel Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:33:18 +1300, K & S
    <> scribbled:

    >On 12 Jan 2004 23:24:2 +1200, "Tom Parker" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Craig Shore <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >>>mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything still
    >>>appears to be running okay at the moment.

    >>>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >>>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >>>http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    >>Considering their size and proximity to the inductors and the cpu, I'd say
    >>they are part of the CPU power converter. I'm not sure if the escaping fluid
    >>will damage the circuit board, nor what will happen to the circuit as their
    >>capacitance drops, but I wouldn't imagine it looks that great on either front.
    >>
    >>It's possible without the capacitors that the converter will fry the cpu, or
    >>it might just shut down in disgust.
    >>
    >>They should be quite easy to replace if you are good with a soldering iron.
    >>But don't just go to DSE and get any old capacitor with the same capacitance.
    >>These are probably low ESR parts with high peak current ratings. Normal
    >>capacitors will fail quickly or not work at all.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Tom Parker -
    >> - http://www.carrott.org

    >I am clad some one agrees with me regarding Low ESR Caps, normal caps can get
    >very hot, and explode due to the high switching currents and the ripple
    >current going into the cap, the internal resistance and inductance of the cap
    >causes it to heat up..

    Woger, no one ever disagreed with you about getting low ESR caps in
    the first place.
    Fuel, Jan 12, 2004
  20. Craig Shore

    harry Guest

    Joy wrote:
    > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> Can someone please tell me what these Electrolytic Capacitors on my
    >> mainboard are for? They're not looking too good, but everything
    >> still appears to be running okay at the moment.
    >>
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap1.jpg
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap2.jpg
    >> http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/craigsho/cap-close.jpg

    > Oh no. Cheap Taiwanese copies, take it back to the supplyer. This
    > was written about in the 2003 March issue of PC World magazine.
    > Joy

    What does a capacitor do Joy ?
    harry, Jan 12, 2004