    damaging the keyboard? Why did Microsoft, or whoever, put the Caps Lock key
    where it is? Probably the dumbest decision I have ever seen.

    Thanks!
    Julie P., Jul 8, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    jda Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:54:45 -0400, Julie P. wrote:

    > Hi, I am a bad typist, and I have this annoying habit of accidentally
    > hitting the "Caps Lock" key and typing a whole bunch of text in all caps,
    > before catching this and having to backspace and retype. A similar situation
    > exists with me accidentally hitting "Insert", and then overwriting wherever
    > I type before I notice the problem. Another habitual problem I have is
    > hitting the semi-colon key where I want an apostrophe instead. Spell check
    > is also a pain, since sometimes it takes forever to correct all the typos,
    > even in just a few small paragraphs.
    >
    > Is there anything I can do, especially with the "Caps Lock" and "Insert"
    > keys, to disable them temporarily? Can I just remove the key without
    > damaging the keyboard? Why did Microsoft, or whoever, put the Caps Lock key
    > where it is? Probably the dumbest decision I have ever seen.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Nailfile, small screwdriver or similar will do the trick
    Jakob
    jda, Jul 8, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    I haven't tried it, but it looks like what you need.

    sMaRTcaPs
    http://www.phoebusllc.com/index.htm

    "sMaRTcaPs is the solution to the Caps Lock, Num Lock,
    and Insert key problems. Accidental touches will no longer
    ruin your documents nor waste your time. You control the
    response of the Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Insert keys so
    that each must be purposely held before it will toggle. You'll
    be notified by a unique sound when the Caps Lock, Num Lock,
    and Insert have been activated, and when each has been
    turned off. There are also 2 types of visual indicators for Caps
    Lock and Num Lock. Plus you can simulate the Caps Lock
    operation of typewriters and Macs. And all of this works in
    the background - for all your Windows 95 and later applications!"

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 20:54:45 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    jda Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 02:10:57 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    > Plus you can simulate the Caps Lock
    > operation of typewriters and Macs.

    Now we have programmes that can simulate feratures of Macs and almost help
    us with the stabillity of Linux, so now we are getting better of as PC
    users for every day
    Jakob
    jda, Jul 8, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 03:24:56 +0200, in
    <>
    jda scrawled:

    >On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 02:10:57 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> Plus you can simulate the Caps Lock
    >> operation of typewriters and Macs.
    >>

    >Now we have programmes that can simulate feratures of Macs
    >and almost help us with the stabillity of Linux, so now we are
    >getting better of as PC users for every day
    >Jakob

    TINW. TINU.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "jda" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:54:45 -0400, Julie P. wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I am a bad typist, and I have this annoying habit of accidentally
    > > hitting the "Caps Lock" key and typing a whole bunch of text in all

    caps,
    > > before catching this and having to backspace and retype. A similar

    situation
    > > exists with me accidentally hitting "Insert", and then overwriting

    wherever
    > > I type before I notice the problem. Another habitual problem I have is
    > > hitting the semi-colon key where I want an apostrophe instead. Spell

    check
    > > is also a pain, since sometimes it takes forever to correct all the

    typos,
    > > even in just a few small paragraphs.
    > >
    > > Is there anything I can do, especially with the "Caps Lock" and "Insert"
    > > keys, to disable them temporarily? Can I just remove the key without
    > > damaging the keyboard? Why did Microsoft, or whoever, put the Caps Lock

    key
    > > where it is? Probably the dumbest decision I have ever seen.
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > Nailfile, small screwdriver or similar will do the trick
    > Jakob

    Thanks Jakob! I will give it a try. Hopefully no permanent damage will
    occur.
    Julie P., Jul 8, 2004
  7. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > I haven't tried it, but it looks like what you need.
    >
    > sMaRTcaPs
    > http://www.phoebusllc.com/index.htm

    Hi Mike, thank you! Let me try removing the key first. If that doesn;t
    (there's that apostrophe/semi-colon problem I mentioned in my original
    post!) work, I will try that program. $15 is not too bad.

    J.
    Julie P., Jul 8, 2004
  8. SOme systems have a Sound or "Beep" feature when the Cap lock is pressed.
    It is enabled in the Bios. I have used this and it helps me, With the beep
    feature enables
    it tell you when ever you hit the Cap lock by mistake

    Fox Chase Watch, Jul 8, 2004
  9. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 21:46:42 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> I haven't tried it, but it looks like what you need.
    >>
    >> sMaRTcaPs
    >> http://www.phoebusllc.com/index.htm
    >>

    >Hi Mike, thank you! Let me try removing the key first. If that doesn;t
    >(there's that apostrophe/semi-colon problem I mentioned in my original
    >post!) work, I will try that program. $15 is not too bad.
    >
    >J.

    You're welcome. Just be aware that, as I said, I haven't
    tried it, so be careful that it carries no spyware, etc.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 8, 2004
  10. Julie P.

    Guest

    I use a little utility program called AntiCapsLock. Once installed,
    you activate it in Control Panel using the Keyboard option, There was
    a nominal fee for it, but it works great for me. I too hate that Caps
    Lock key
    http://www.orionsoft.cz/anticapslock

    >Hi, I am a bad typist, and I have this annoying habit of accidentally
    >hitting the "Caps Lock" key and typing a whole bunch of text in all caps,
    >before catching this and having to backspace and retype. A similar situation
    >exists with me accidentally hitting "Insert", and then overwriting wherever
    >I type before I notice the problem. Another habitual problem I have is
    >hitting the semi-colon key where I want an apostrophe instead. Spell check
    >is also a pain, since sometimes it takes forever to correct all the typos,
    >even in just a few small paragraphs.
    >
    >Is there anything I can do, especially with the "Caps Lock" and "Insert"
    >keys, to disable them temporarily? Can I just remove the key without
    >damaging the keyboard? Why did Microsoft, or whoever, put the Caps Lock key
    >where it is? Probably the dumbest decision I have ever seen.
    >
    >Thanks!

    , Jul 8, 2004

    Almost as dumb as a stupid **** who can't type.
    William Bennet, Jul 8, 2004