caps lock coming on spontaneously

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by GrandpaChuck, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
    typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
    lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
    the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
    completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
    help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
    helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
    answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
    to find that.

    It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
    instant messaging someone.

    Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
    it back to normal without having to shut down?
    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Americans killed in Iraq as of January 7, 2007 is 3014. United Kingdom = 128 Other = 123.
    Non-Mortal American casualties 46,880 as of December 02, 2006.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    As of January 8, 2007 it has been 1346 days since Bush while standing in front of the banner Mission Accomplished declared,
    "In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." IOW "Mission Accomplished."

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, and carrying a cross." --Sinclair Lewis
    GrandpaChuck, Jan 9, 2007

  2. GrandpaChuck

    Only Moi Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 05:57:48 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    wrote:

    >Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
    >typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
    >lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
    >the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
    >completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
    >help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
    >helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
    >answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
    >to find that.
    >
    >It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
    >instant messaging someone.
    >
    >Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
    >it back to normal without having to shut down?

    Boy I'm hardly a tech, (and I hate HP products with a passion), but
    common sense (from living a long hard life) would tell me to try
    another keyboard before I blame it on the PC.
    It sure wouldn't take long to hook up another, and see if the prob
    persists.

    If it continues, I'd badger HP a lot harder than you did for an
    answer.
    Only Moi, Jan 9, 2007

  3. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 06:03:38 GMT, Only Moi <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 05:57:48 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
    >>typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
    >>lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
    >>the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
    >>completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
    >>help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
    >>helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
    >>answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
    >>to find that.
    >>
    >>It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
    >>instant messaging someone.
    >>
    >>Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
    >>it back to normal without having to shut down?

    >Boy I'm hardly a tech, (and I hate HP products with a passion), but
    >common sense (from living a long hard life) would tell me to try
    >another keyboard before I blame it on the PC.
    >It sure wouldn't take long to hook up another, and see if the prob
    >persists.

    Kind of hard to do on a laptop. I guess I should have mentioned that
    rather than assuming people would know that a HP Pavilion is a laptop.
    Sorry about the confusion.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Jan 9, 2007
  4. GrandpaChuck

    Fred Guest

    "GrandpaChuck" <> wrote in message
    > Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
    > typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
    > lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
    > the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
    > completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
    > help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
    > helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
    > answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
    > to find that.
    >
    > It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
    > instant messaging someone.
    >
    > Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
    > it back to normal without having to shut down?
    > --

    There is a bit of a thread here about that keyboard.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=57325
    It may be a common fault.
    One guy says, "You don't need to reboot to fix the problem, just hit the
    SHIFT key repeatedly until Sticky Keys popup comes on your screen, then
    click cancel. That will fix the reverse caps lock issue without rebooting."
    Fred, Jan 9, 2007
  5. GrandpaChuck

    rjdriver Guest

    > Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
    > typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
    > lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
    > the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
    > completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
    > help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
    > helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
    > answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
    > to find that.
    >
    > It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
    > instant messaging someone.
    >
    > Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
    > it back to normal without having to shut down?
    > --
    >
    > Grandpa Chuck
    > -ô¿ô-
    > ~

    If it's under warantee, call HP back. Hopefully you'll get a more
    sympathetic tech support person this time. The unit needs to go in for
    repair or replacment. If it's not under warantee, use the method described
    by Fred to get a round it. Or, if you don't think you'll ever have much
    need for the caps lock key (mine has been deactivated for years to keep from
    hitting it accidently), change it's function to something else with Key
    Tweak ( http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/ )

    Bob

    ..
    rjdriver, Jan 9, 2007
  6. GrandpaChuck <> wrote in

    snip

    > Kind of hard to do on a laptop. I guess I should have mentioned
    > that rather

    You should have.

    > than assuming people would know that a HP Pavilion
    > is a laptop.

    Assumptions can be fatal. There are also Pavilion desktops.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com
    The Old Sourdough, Jan 9, 2007
  7. GrandpaChuck

    Mike Easter Guest

    GrandpaChuck wrote:
    > Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
    > typing as if the caps lock was on.

    > how to get
    > it back to normal without having to shut down?

    <snippages>

    bgmd - the keyboard inexplicably locks in Caps Lock mode, which can't be
    terminated ... Has anyone else had the caps lock problem,

    zefie - This is SHIFT or CONTROL lock. When it occurs, I press left
    ctrl, left shift, right shift, right ctrl one at a time in that order to
    "re-calibrate" the keyboard. Annoying, but works.

    TouchTyper - BTW, I tried the fix for the Caps Lock problem of pressing
    the Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys in sequence and it seems to work for me too

    </snippages> http://www.talkshack.com/showthread.php?threadid=518

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 9, 2007
  8. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 20:20:11 +1030, "Fred" <> wrote:

    >"GrandpaChuck" <> wrote in message
    >> Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
    >> typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
    >> lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
    >> the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
    >> completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
    >> help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
    >> helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
    >> answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
    >> to find that.
    >>
    >> It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
    >> instant messaging someone.
    >>
    >> Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
    >> it back to normal without having to shut down?
    >> --
    >>

    >There is a bit of a thread here about that keyboard.
    >http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=57325
    >It may be a common fault.
    >One guy says, "You don't need to reboot to fix the problem, just hit the
    >SHIFT key repeatedly until Sticky Keys popup comes on your screen, then
    >click cancel. That will fix the reverse caps lock issue without rebooting."

    WOW!
    How simple can an answer be?
    This is fantastic.
    Thank you so very much Fred.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    Americans killed in Iraq as of January 7, 2007 is 3014. United Kingdom = 128 Other = 123.
    Non-Mortal American casualties 46,880 as of December 02, 2006.
    Over 100 Iraqi civilians are killed every day. Most by so-called insurgents.
    As of January 9, 2007 it has been 1347 days since Bush while standing in front of the banner Mission Accomplished declared,

    GrandpaChuck, Jan 9, 2007
  9. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 06:42:13 -0500, "rjdriver"
    <> wrote:

    >"GrandpaChuck" <> wrote in message
    >> Once in awhile this computer, HP Pavilion dv8000, suddenly starts
    >> typing as if the caps lock was on. The only way I can then write in
    >> lower case letters it turn the caps lock on. It has happened twice in
    >> the last half hour. The only way to get out of it is to reboot or even
    >> completely shut down and then reboot. Awhile back I contacted HP's
    >> help line about it and chatted with a lady there. She was not very
    >> helpful at all and seemed to think I should have been able to find the
    >> answer somewhere in a help menu without bothering even tell me where
    >> to find that.
    >>
    >> It has happened a number of times, as it did tonight, while I am
    >> instant messaging someone.
    >>
    >> Do you have clue what might cause it and more importantly, how to get
    >> it back to normal without having to shut down?
    >> --
    >>
    >> Grandpa Chuck
    >> -ô¿ô-
    >> ~

    > If it's under warantee, call HP back. Hopefully you'll get a more
    >sympathetic tech support person this time. The unit needs to go in for
    >repair or replacment. If it's not under warantee, use the method described
    >by Fred to get a round it. Or, if you don't think you'll ever have much
    >need for the caps lock key (mine has been deactivated for years to keep from
    >hitting it accidently), change it's function to something else with Key
    >Tweak ( http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/ )
    >
    > Bob

    I thought about taking it in, but I have way too much on the hard
    drives to be without it for even a day.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Jan 9, 2007
  10. GrandpaChuck

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 19:00:45 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    wrote:

    >I thought about taking it in, but I have way too much on the hard
    >drives to be without it for even a day.

    Well then the warranty's kind of useless huh? :)
    Evan Platt, Jan 9, 2007
  11. GrandpaChuck

    GrandpaChuck Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:39:05 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 19:00:45 GMT, GrandpaChuck <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>I thought about taking it in, but I have way too much on the hard
    >>drives to be without it for even a day.

    >Well then the warranty's kind of useless huh? :)

    I would say situations like this are proof that the best bet is to
    invest in an external hard drive to keep programs and files you "just
    and do without" in so if the computer needs to go in for repairs one
    is not going to lose all that data.

    Some here have heard my horror story of taking a computer in for
    service, being given a guarantee that all files would be saved, and
    not getting the computer back for NINE MONTHS. When I did get it back
    none of my files, pictures, or programs were on it. The only thing on
    it was WinXP Home Edition and that was because he had me take the
    original disks in. I could have done that at home in a couple of hours
    and not been without my computer at all. Since then I have been pretty
    wary of taking any of my computers in for service.

    --

    Grandpa Chuck
    -ô¿ô-

    GrandpaChuck, Jan 9, 2007
  12. GrandpaChuck

    Guest

    GrandpaChuck <> wrote:

    >I thought about taking it in, but I have way too much on the hard
    >drives to be without it for even a day.

    Don't tempt faith, now would be a good time to back up your system or
    any important information you might miss.

    Just a tip, in case you haven't yet.

    --
    http://verystrangenews.com/?p=34
    , Jan 9, 2007