    OS is Windows2000.

    Thank you a lot in advance!

    Paulo
    Paulo S, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Paulo S

    Kenny Guest

    Which IDE channel are they on and do you have only one HDD? If either is on
    same Primary IDE as HDD that one will need to be set as Slave. If both are
    on Secondary IDE set one as Master, the other as Slave. If only one on
    Secondary IDE set as Master.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jun 29, 2003

  3. Paulo S

    MJP Guest

    > Dear All
    >
    > I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
    > installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
    > think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
    > (CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
    > jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
    > now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
    > HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
    > (without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
    > if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
    > installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
    > please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
    > OS is Windows2000.

    Unplugging IDE cables with power on is not recommended, I speak from painful
    and costly experience.

    The HDD light remaining continuously lit may indicate a cable incorrectly
    aligned, i.e. plugged in the wrong way round.

    Have you entered the BIOS and set the IDE channels to AUTO?

    MJP

    ---
    MJP, Jun 29, 2003
  4. Paulo S

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Paulo S continued:

    > Dear All
    >
    > I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
    > installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
    > think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
    > (CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
    > jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
    > now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
    > HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
    > (without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
    > if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
    > installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
    > please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
    > OS is Windows2000.

    To be honest I would get someone who knows /exactly/ what they are doing to
    look at it - if you are pulling IDE cables out with the machine running, you
    are not the person to trust with explicit instructions.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    Slumpy, Jun 29, 2003
  5. Paulo S

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:50:13 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    scutters "Slumpy" <> wrote :

    >"So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
    >threw back my head and roared with laughter as Paulo S continued:
    >
    >> Dear All
    >>
    >> I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
    >> installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
    >> think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
    >> (CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
    >> jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
    >> now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
    >> HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
    >> (without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
    >> if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
    >> installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
    >> please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
    >> OS is Windows2000.

    >To be honest I would get someone who knows /exactly/ what they are doing to
    >look at it - if you are pulling IDE cables out with the machine running, you
    >are not the person to trust with explicit instructions.

    Ditto:
    Could cost a lot more just messing around blindly :O

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,
    Shep©, Jun 29, 2003
  6. Paulo S

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Paulo S deftly scribbled:

    > Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
    > HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
    > (without unplugging them completely)

    If you're doing this kind of thing, I'd suggest you've probably fried
    something on the motherboard, the ide channels and any or all devices that
    connect to them .. ;)

    --
    ....................................Paul-xxx
    Paul - xxx, Jun 29, 2003
  7. Paulo S

    Paulo S Guest

    "MJP" <> wrote in message news:<bdms9e$d60$>...
    > > Dear All
    > >
    > > I have installed on my computer a CDR. After my disastrous
    > > installation, my CDRom ceased to work and the CDR has never worked. I
    > > think that all connections are done correctly, however both devices
    > > (CDR and CDRom) do not work. I have tried all configurations of the
    > > jumpers master and slave... and nothing has improved. Surprisingly,
    > > now the HDD light is always on. Notwithstanding, I can turn off the
    > > HDD light, if I very slightly unplug the connections of the IDE cable
    > > (without unplugging them completely). The most intriguing fact is that
    > > if I uninstall the CDR and I leave installed the CDRom as before the
    > > installation of the CDR, the CDRom does not work. Could somebody here
    > > please help me domesticating my capricious CDR and CDRom? Oops... My
    > > OS is Windows2000.

    > The HDD light remaining continuously lit may indicate a cable incorrectly
    > aligned, i.e. plugged in the wrong way round.

    MJP was absolutely right! Thank you very much indeed! The cable was
    plugged in the wrong way round. Now, both the CDR than the CDRom are
    perfectly working on my computer.

    I would like also to thank everybody who tried to help me!

    Paulo
    Paulo S, Jun 29, 2003