    seems to imply it accepts SmartMedia cards up to 64mb. Which is right?
    Thanks
    --Paul

    P K, Jan 23, 2004

  2. P K

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    P K wrote:
    > The specs for the Olympus PCMCIA SmartMedia adaptor card MA-2E (SSFDC)
    > specify it accepts SmartMedia cards up to 16mb. But the Olympus web site
    > seems to imply it accepts SmartMedia cards up to 64mb. Which is right?
    > Thanks
    > --Paul

    Paul, I don't use one, but I am a long time user of
    Olympus cameras. It's been my experience that when
    they publish the specs they mention max as being the
    max card size available at the time.

    For instance, I still have a d-460z camera. The manual
    says it uses up to 64 meg. But 128 works just fine :)

    See if you can't beg, borrow, steal or rent a 128 meg
    card and try it in your adaptor.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Ken Weitzel <> writes:

    > Hi...
    >
    > P K wrote:
    > > The specs for the Olympus PCMCIA SmartMedia adaptor card MA-2E (SSFDC)
    > > specify it accepts SmartMedia cards up to 16mb. But the Olympus web site
    > > seems to imply it accepts SmartMedia cards up to 64mb. Which is right?
    > > Thanks
    > > --Paul

    > Paul, I don't use one, but I am a long time user of
    > Olympus cameras. It's been my experience that when
    > they publish the specs they mention max as being the
    > max card size available at the time.
    >
    > For instance, I still have a d-460z camera. The manual
    > says it uses up to 64 meg. But 128 works just fine :)
    >
    > See if you can't beg, borrow, steal or rent a 128 meg
    > card and try it in your adaptor.

    Note, I believe there were cameras and adaptors that didn't work too well for
    media > 16 megabytes. If the adaptor was made quite some time ago, it may well
    only support 16 megabytes. A few months ago, I picked up a generic PCMCIA
    adaptor for smartmedia from CompUSA that supports the 128 megabyte cards.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jan 23, 2004
  4. P K

    P K Guest

    In article <-meissners.org>,
    Michael Meissner <> wrote:

    > Ken Weitzel <> writes:
    >
    > > Hi...
    > >
    > > P K wrote:
    > > > The specs for the Olympus PCMCIA SmartMedia adaptor card MA-2E (SSFDC)
    > > > specify it accepts SmartMedia cards up to 16mb. But the Olympus web site
    > > > seems to imply it accepts SmartMedia cards up to 64mb. Which is right?
    > > > Thanks
    > > > --Paul

    > > Paul, I don't use one, but I am a long time user of
    > > Olympus cameras. It's been my experience that when
    > > they publish the specs they mention max as being the
    > > max card size available at the time.
    > >
    > > For instance, I still have a d-460z camera. The manual
    > > says it uses up to 64 meg. But 128 works just fine :)
    > >
    > > See if you can't beg, borrow, steal or rent a 128 meg
    > > card and try it in your adaptor.

    > Note, I believe there were cameras and adaptors that didn't work too well for
    > media > 16 megabytes. If the adaptor was made quite some time ago, it may
    > well
    > only support 16 megabytes. A few months ago, I picked up a generic PCMCIA
    > adaptor for smartmedia from CompUSA that supports the 128 megabyte cards.

    Is there any chance of damage (mechanical/electronic) to the bigger
    SmartMedia card if the PCMCIA adaptor does NOT support it ?

    P K, Jan 24, 2004
  5. P K <> writes:

    > In article <-meissners.org>,
    > Michael Meissner <> wrote:
    >
    > > Ken Weitzel <> writes:

    > > Note, I believe there were cameras and adaptors that didn't work too well for
    > > media > 16 megabytes. If the adaptor was made quite some time ago, it may
    > > well
    > > only support 16 megabytes. A few months ago, I picked up a generic PCMCIA
    > > adaptor for smartmedia from CompUSA that supports the 128 megabyte cards.

    > Is there any chance of damage (mechanical/electronic) to the bigger
    > SmartMedia card if the PCMCIA adaptor does NOT support it ?

    I have no idea, but I believe the problem was more they needed to have an
    extended addressing mode (or have another pin be used in the addressing). This
    is the problem on not having the controller on the card like CF cards do -- you
    get more locked into physical limitations.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jan 24, 2004