    -------------------------------------
    Graham Russell Photography
    www.grahamrussell.info

    Graham Russell, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Graham Russell

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Different folks computer differently.
    for example 1KB (kilobytes) is actually 1024 bytes in the PC world.
    However 1K (One Kilo) is actually 1,000.

    So the multiplication factor could be

    X * 1000 or X *1024

    When you are talking Gigabytes, it can make a difference.

    Rosita

    HRosita, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Graham Russell

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Graham Russell"

    >I've just bought a 1GB SanDisk Ultra compact flash card for use with a 10D.
    >I also have a 1GB microdrive.. It appears that the formatted capacity of the
    >SanDisk card is about 976MB whereas the formatted capacity of the microdrive
    >is 1GB.

    I see the same type thing when comparing my 1 GB Lexar CF with my 1 GB
    microdrive. I'm sure there's a good reason ...

    >Is the capacity of the 1GB Ultra OK or is it bad?

    Seems to be par for the course. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/
    shows actual capacity for a variety of cards and the microdrives are pretty
    much the only ones with the full listed capacity.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Graham Russell

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 05 Nov 2003 14:22:05 GMT, in rec.photo.digital et
    (HRosita) wrote:

    >Different folks computer differently.
    >for example 1KB (kilobytes) is actually 1024 bytes in the PC world.
    >However 1K (One Kilo) is actually 1,000.
    >
    >So the multiplication factor could be
    >
    >X * 1000 or X *1024
    >
    >When you are talking Gigabytes, it can make a difference.

    More fundamentally, the "correct" measurement makes sole use of powers
    of 2.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Graham Russell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    HRosita wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Different folks computer differently.
    > for example 1KB (kilobytes) is actually 1024 bytes in the PC world.
    > However 1K (One Kilo) is actually 1,000.
    >
    > So the multiplication factor could be
    >
    > X * 1000 or X *1024
    >
    > When you are talking Gigabytes, it can make a difference.
    >
    > Rosita

    It does, but then so much of a disk is taken up by directories, boot
    sectors, FAT tables, etc. that the difference really isn't too significant.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Graham Russell

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > (HRosita) wrote:

    >Different folks computer differently.
    >for example 1KB (kilobytes) is actually 1024 bytes in the PC world.
    >However 1K (One Kilo) is actually 1,000.

    The problem is many companies in their advertising use "mega" (which is 2**20
    or 1,048,576) when they should use "million" (which is 1,000,000). And they
    use kilo (2**10 or 1,024) when they should use thousand. It's a "powers of
    two" vs "powers of ten" type thing and companies pick the number that makes
    their product look better.

    Some of these disks use up a bit of space for boot sectors, etc too. What the
    capacity numbers SHOULD say is the actual number of free bytes. At times it's
    bordering on fraud and I'm surprised some publicity hound DA hasn't filed a
    class action suit demanding the disk and memory guys decide on unambiguous
    standards.

    Bill
    (former digital design engineer)

    Bill Hilton, Nov 5, 2003
  7. Graham Russell

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 09:31:39 -0600, in rec.photo.digital Ron Hunter
    <> wrote:

    >It does, but then so much of a disk is taken up by directories, boot
    >sectors, FAT tables, etc. that the difference really isn't too significant.

    Not too significant?

    { (2^30 - 10^9) / (2^30) } *100 = 6.9%

    If the gas station down the street was off this much they'd surely get
    fined by your state's weights and measures office.

    Ed Ruf, Nov 5, 2003
  8. Graham Russell

    fruitbat Guest

    dy (Bill Hilton) wrote:
    > > (HRosita) wrote:

    > >Different folks computer differently.
    > >for example 1KB (kilobytes) is actually 1024 bytes in the PC world.
    > >However 1K (One Kilo) is actually 1,000.

    > The problem is many companies in their advertising use "mega" (which is 2**20
    > or 1,048,576) when they should use "million" (which is 1,000,000). And they
    > use kilo (2**10 or 1,024) when they should use thousand. It's a "powers of
    > two" vs "powers of ten" type thing and companies pick the number that makes
    > their product look better.

    But a kilometer is 1000 meters, not 1024... Kilo, mega, giga, etc are
    all established SI prefixes that translate to even powers of 10, so
    companies using mega for 1 million are technically correct. To fix the
    problem, the IEC has actually adopted the horribly silly-sounding
    kibi/mebi/gibi system. So far, I've NEVER heard anyone utter these
    terms in actual speech. At least they're thinking in the right
    direction, though. A binary kilobyte, or kibibyte (or KiB -- yes. the
    k is capital now), is 2^10 bytes. I would have preferred different
    names, but that's life.

    > Some of these disks use up a bit of space for boot sectors, etc too. What the
    > capacity numbers SHOULD say is the actual number of free bytes. At times it's
    > bordering on fraud and I'm surprised some publicity hound DA hasn't filed a
    > class action suit demanding the disk and memory guys decide on unambiguous
    > standards.

    As far as memory cards are concerned, I don't mind that I don't get a
    full 2^30 bytes (Well, 2^29 for the card I'm using right now). 488MB
    is still much larger than the next step down, and that's all I'm
    really concerned with. The numbers are pretty much arbitrary, since
    I'm not thinking "I need EXACTLY n pictures on this card, or it's
    useless!" The difference between 512MB and 512MiB (there, IEC, are you
    happy?) is only 5%, and since the size of the pictures I take
    fluctuates *anyway*, I don't care that it's slightly less than it
    should be, I guess.

    > Bill
    > (former digital design engineer)

    Jeff
    (current digital design engineer)

    fruitbat, Nov 6, 2003
  9. Graham Russell

    Matt Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:02:50 -0000, "Graham Russell"
    <> wrote:

    >I've just bought a 1GB SanDisk Ultra compact flash card for use with a 10D.
    >I also have a 1GB microdrive.. It appears that the formatted capacity of the
    >SanDisk card is about 976MB whereas the formatted capacity of the microdrive
    >is 1GB. This means that the microdrive holds about 20 more RAW images than
    >the flash card.I wasn't expecting this difference in capacity. Is the
    >capacity of the 1GB Ultra OK or is it bad?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Graham.

    Cards are formatted too, and there's a certain amount of overhead that
    is inherent in all cards. 976 MB sounds about right.

    Matt, Nov 23, 2003