    What do you think? I did swap out the keyboard and the same thing is
    happening regardless of the keyboard.

    Thanks

    nick, Apr 23, 2006

  2. nick

    JANA Guest

    When your computer is off, the power supply should normally be in the
    standby mode. In this mode, there is a small amount of power in the system,
    so that the CPU can do certain functions in the background, such as being
    able to start the computer from LAN, or the keyboard, depending on how it
    was set up.

    It is not good practice to turn the AC supply off to the computer, but if
    you did, I am sure the light would go out.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "nick" <> wrote in message
    Tell me if you ever heard of the following.
    I have a compaq tower running Windows NT. When the machine is powered
    off, the caps lock led indicator remains on. Where is the power for the
    light coming from? Is this condition draining the battery inside the
    tower? Should I unplug the keyboard when the computer is powered down?

    JANA, Apr 23, 2006

  3. nick

    Plato Guest

    nick wrote:

    > Tell me if you ever heard of the following.
    > I have a compaq tower running Windows NT. When the machine is powered
    > off, the caps lock led indicator remains on. Where is the power for the
    > light coming from? Is this condition draining the battery inside the

    IT's coming from the tower. Modern PCs are NEVER really turned OFF,
    unless you have a button on the back of your power supply to use or hit
    the surge protector/power strip. ie there is always power running to the
    mobo and bios chip. This allows stuff like "wake on lan" and/or "wake on
    modem" to work.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 23, 2006
  4. nick

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    JANA wrote:
    > When your computer is off, the power supply should normally be in the
    > standby mode. In this mode, there is a small amount of power in the system,
    > so that the CPU can do certain functions in the background, such as being
    > able to start the computer from LAN, or the keyboard, depending on how it
    > was set up.

    FFS Jana, why do you persist in posting shit. Of course the power
    supply on an ATX system is in a standby mode, that is the way ATX power
    supplies work. One of the "certain functions" as you put it, is to
    switch the fucker on from the momentary action "on" button.

    > It is not good practice to turn the AC supply off to the computer, but if
    > you did, I am sure the light would go out.

    Crap. Would you care to expand on your reasons for suggesting it is
    not good practice to turn the AC supply off to the computer?

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Apr 23, 2006
  5. Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > JANA wrote:
    >> When your computer is off, ...

    > FFS Jana, why do you persist in posting shit. ...

    And at the top. Above a sig delimiter, which, when replying, cuts off
    all the original quote.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 23, 2006
  6. nick

    nick Guest

    Thanks for weighing in. So, I guess what you guys are saying is that it
    is safe to leave the keyboard plugged in, and I don't have to worry
    about any battery on the mother board from dying, because the juice is
    coming from the AC where the computer is plugged into.
    Thanks. I wasn't fond of unplugging and plugging in the keyboard into
    the back of the cpu tower because of how fragile those pins are.
    Okay, guys, thanks again.

    nick, Apr 23, 2006
  7. nick

    Plato Guest

    nick wrote:

    > Thanks for weighing in. So, I guess what you guys are saying is that it
    > is safe to leave the keyboard plugged in, and I don't have to worry
    > about any battery on the mother board from dying, because the juice is

    The motherboard battery is only used to keep the bios running if the PC
    has NO external power.

    Plato, Apr 23, 2006