Canyon De Chelly

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tony Graber, Nov 13, 2007.

  1. Tony Graber

    Tony Graber Guest

    Hello All!

    I am taking a trip late December to Canyon de Chelly in Chinle, AZ. I
    should be at Canyon de Chelly for 3 days, December 28-30. Since I
    live in Tucson, I will be driving up to Chinle in my Jeep Liberty
    4X4. That is important because I am hoping to hire a guide and use
    my Jeep to go into the canyons of the national monument at Canyon de
    Chelly. Questions:

    1. Does anyone have any advice about the best places and times for
    pictures at Canyon de Chelly, or one of the connecting canyons?
    2. Does anyone have any experience about hiring a guide at Canyon de
    Chelly and using your own 4X4, instead of taking a "Jeep tour", and
    what are those experiences?
    3. Does the Jeep Liberty have high enough clearance to go through
    the canyons?

    I have already consulted the Photo Travelers Guide to Arizona and
    Photographing the Southwest (Vol. 2 on AZ and UT), so I am mainly
    looking for personal experiences with regard to photographing Canyon
    de Chelly.

    I will also be staying in Pinetop, AZ for the week of New Years. Are
    there any good spots for some good scenic photos in the Pinetop
    area? Scenic drives? Mogollon Rim?

    Thanks in advance,
    Tony Graber, Nov 13, 2007

  2. Tony Graber

    Steve Dell Guest

    as I understand it, going there is best hiring a guide. some areas are not
    accessible without one.

    You probably want to get there well before the crowds so you walk around and
    compose.

    Check out AZ Highways magazine online or at a local Barnes & Nobles to read
    about the area in advance.

    Also, I live in Tucson and would recommend that you get with the local
    cameral clubs here in Tucson.

    The largest one meets tonight, 11/13 at the Jewish Community Center on River
    starting at 7:00 PM.

    Would be a good opportunity to meet some folks familiar with the area.

    Steve Dell
    Tucson AZ

    Steve Dell, Nov 13, 2007

  3. Tony Graber

    RG Guest

    "Tony Graber" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All!
    >
    > I am taking a trip late December to Canyon de Chelly in Chinle, AZ. I
    > should be at Canyon de Chelly for 3 days, December 28-30. Since I
    > live in Tucson, I will be driving up to Chinle in my Jeep Liberty
    > 4X4. That is important because I am hoping to hire a guide and use
    > my Jeep to go into the canyons of the national monument at Canyon de
    > Chelly. Questions:
    >
    > 1. Does anyone have any advice about the best places and times for
    > pictures at Canyon de Chelly, or one of the connecting canyons?
    > 2. Does anyone have any experience about hiring a guide at Canyon de
    > Chelly and using your own 4X4, instead of taking a "Jeep tour", and
    > what are those experiences?
    > 3. Does the Jeep Liberty have high enough clearance to go through
    > the canyons?
    >
    > I have already consulted the Photo Travelers Guide to Arizona and
    > Photographing the Southwest (Vol. 2 on AZ and UT), so I am mainly
    > looking for personal experiences with regard to photographing Canyon
    > de Chelly.
    >
    > I will also be staying in Pinetop, AZ for the week of New Years. Are
    > there any good spots for some good scenic photos in the Pinetop
    > area? Scenic drives? Mogollon Rim?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    I took a trip to Canyon de Chelly earlier this year from Phoenix. I've got
    a couple of recommendations for the trip there.

    First consider driving the From Desert to Tall Pines Scenic Byway, also
    known as State Route 288/Forest Service Road 512. This road departs from
    State Route 188, just north of Globe, and runs along the east side of
    Roosevelt Lake, winding its way up the Mogollon Rim. An excellent short
    side trip along the road is to Workman Creek Falls. The road runs through
    the town of Young, and then drops you on State Route 260, west of Heber.
    The road is mostly dirt, but is a fast dirt road that would present no
    problems for your Jeep. It's the first time I've ever driven the road, and
    it was definitely worth the trip. I learned about the road from "The
    Insider's Arizona Guidebook", published by Arizona Highways.
    http://tinyurl.com/29mdpz. This book would be an excellent companion to
    Laurent Martrès' outstanding book that you mentioned earlier.

    Second, consider spending a half day at Petrified Forest/Painted Desert on
    the way to or from Canyon de Chelly. It's right along your way. I spent my
    first night in Hoblrook, entering Petrified Forest when they opened in the
    morning. I spent a half day shooting the park, and then drove to Canyon de
    Chelly, which left plenty of time for late afternoon/sunset shots from the
    rim of the canyon.

    In shooting Canyon De Chelly, I took many photos from all the lookout points
    along Canyon de Chelly and Canyon del Muerto. I also took a guided tour
    into the canyon. I took one of the group tours that departs from
    Thunderbird Lodge. The group tour into the canyon was more than worth the
    time and cost, and a privately guided tour in your own vehicle would only
    add to the experience.

    Canyon de Chelly as well as Petrifed Forest and the Desert to Tall Pines
    Scenic Byway are all a photographer's paradise. Take a tripod and a
    graduated neutral density filter, as well as a good circular polarizer, and
    enjoy the trip. I've got many wonderful shots from my trip there this
    spring.
    RG, Nov 14, 2007
  4. Tony Graber

    -hh Guest

    Tony Graber <> wrote:

    > I am taking a trip late December to Canyon de Chelly in Chinle, AZ. I
    > should be at Canyon de Chelly for 3 days, December 28-30...
    >
    > 1. Does anyone have any advice about the best places and times for
    > pictures at Canyon de Chelly, or one of the connecting canyons?

    I was doing research for a trip out there myself. One of the things
    that I came across was a statement that visiting in the winter months
    could be problemmatic due to the lower sun angle that reduces/prevents
    the signature 'light shafts'.

    Not much you can do about it now except to be aware of if, ask the
    right questions and probably aim for times closer to solar noon for
    being down inside the canyon.

    -hh
    -hh, Nov 14, 2007
  5. In article <>, -hh
    <> wrote:

    > visiting in the winter months
    > could be problemmatic due to the lower sun angle that reduces/prevents
    > the signature 'light shafts'.

    I'm not sure that applies to Canyon de Chelly. It would be a concern in
    the Antelope Slot Canyons which are near Page. Am I confused? Are there
    slot canyons in de Chelly?

    Phil Stripling, Nov 14, 2007
  6. Tony Graber

    -hh Guest

    Phil Stripling <> wrote:
    > -hh <> wrote:
    > > visiting in the winter months could be problemmatic
    > > due to the lower sun angle that reduces/prevents
    > > the signature 'light shafts'.

    > I'm not sure that applies to Canyon de Chelly. It would be a concern in
    > the Antelope Slot Canyons which are near Page. Am I confused? Are there
    > slot canyons in de Chelly?

    No, you're right and I'm wrong: I got Canyon de Chelly confused with
    the narrow slot canyons such as Antelope.

    I had been researching a trip out into the same basic region a few
    months ago, for a Nov/Dec visit (roughly the same time as OP Tony was
    asking about); I was looking at a whole bunch of different options,
    even including Zion and Bryce, and I simply got location names crossed
    up.

    While its a bit OT, for future reference, here's some URL's that I had
    found that specifically mention the differences in expected lighting
    for different times of the year for Antelope:

    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003WTf
    http://www.arizona-leisure.com/antelope-canyon.html
    http://www.outdoorexposurephoto.com/photoblog/date/2006/12/

    -hh
    -hh, Nov 14, 2007
  7. Tony Graber

    Guest

    On Nov 14, 7:20 pm, -hh <> wrote:
    > Phil Stripling <> wrote:
    > > -hh <> wrote:
    > > > visiting in the winter months could be problemmatic
    > > > due to the lower sun angle that reduces/prevents
    > > > the signature 'light shafts'.

    > > I'm not sure that applies to Canyon de Chelly. It would be a concern in
    > > the Antelope Slot Canyons which are near Page. Am I confused? Are there
    > > slot canyons in de Chelly?

    > No, you're right and I'm wrong: I got Canyon de Chelly confused with
    > the narrow slot canyons such as Antelope.
    >
    > I had been researching a trip out into the same basic region a few
    > months ago, for a Nov/Dec visit (roughly the same time as OP Tony was
    > asking about); I was looking at a whole bunch of different options,
    > even including Zion and Bryce, and I simply got location names crossed
    > up.
    >
    > While its a bit OT, for future reference, here's some URL's that I had
    > found that specifically mention the differences in expected lighting
    > for different times of the year for Antelope:
    >
    > http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fet...doorexposurephoto.com/photoblog/date/2006/12/
    >
    > -hh

    A slightly off topic warning, I went to Canyon de Chelly about 10
    years ago (in September) and the car parks were covered with broken
    glass from car windows. My conclusion then, and I don't think I was
    wrong, was that cars were being broken into. Take care - we didn't
    actually leave our car. I hope ten years on this car theft has been
    stopped.

    I love the early morning and evening light best against the rocks so
    plan breakfast not around sunrise.

    Enjoy the trip

    Michael
    , Nov 14, 2007
  8. Tony Graber

    KGB Guest

    <SNIP>
    >A slightly off topic warning, I went to Canyon de Chelly about 10
    >years ago (in September) and the car parks were covered with broken
    >glass from car windows. My conclusion then, and I don't think I was
    >wrong, was that cars were being broken into. Take care - we didn't
    >actually leave our car. I hope ten years on this car theft has been
    >stopped.

    Hi

    We were there in Sept 2005. Certainly no problem leaving the car in
    car parks - and no signs of any broken glass.

    Regards
    KGB
    KGB, Nov 15, 2007
  9. Tony Graber

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:36:13 +0000, Tony Graber wrote:

    > Hello All!
    >
    > I am taking a trip late December to Canyon de Chelly in Chinle, AZ. I
    > should be at Canyon de Chelly for 3 days, December 28-30. Since I
    > live in Tucson, I will be driving up to Chinle in my Jeep Liberty
    > 4X4. That is important because I am hoping to hire a guide and use
    > my Jeep to go into the canyons of the national monument at Canyon de
    > Chelly. Questions:
    >
    > 1. Does anyone have any advice about the best places and times for
    > pictures at Canyon de Chelly, or one of the connecting canyons?
    > 2. Does anyone have any experience about hiring a guide at Canyon de
    > Chelly and using your own 4X4, instead of taking a "Jeep tour", and
    > what are those experiences?
    > 3. Does the Jeep Liberty have high enough clearance to go through
    > the canyons?
    >
    > I have already consulted the Photo Travelers Guide to Arizona and
    > Photographing the Southwest (Vol. 2 on AZ and UT), so I am mainly
    > looking for personal experiences with regard to photographing Canyon
    > de Chelly.
    >
    > I will also be staying in Pinetop, AZ for the week of New Years. Are
    > there any good spots for some good scenic photos in the Pinetop
    > area? Scenic drives? Mogollon Rim?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    I've not been to Canyon De Chelly, but from my experience in other
    national parks, you are not generally allowed free reign - I'd be
    surprised to learn that they have any roads open for free travel that
    would require four wheel drive.
    ray, Nov 15, 2007
  10. Tony Graber

    Paul Allen Guest

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:08:09 -0800
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Nov 14, 7:20 pm, -hh <> wrote:

    > A slightly off topic warning, I went to Canyon de Chelly about 10
    > years ago (in September) and the car parks were covered with broken
    > glass from car windows. My conclusion then, and I don't think I was
    > wrong, was that cars were being broken into. Take care - we didn't
    > actually leave our car. I hope ten years on this car theft has been
    > stopped.

    Apparently, it has. We were there this past September. What we saw
    were people enjoying the spectacular place and the occasional Navajo
    trying to sell artwork. No broken car windows.

    > I love the early morning and evening light best against the rocks so
    > plan breakfast not around sunrise.

    Similar advice goes for the nearby Painted Desert and Petrified

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Nov 17, 2007
  11. Tony Graber

    Tony Graber Guest

    ray <> wrote in news:pan.2007.11.15.19.38.16.120012
    @zianet.com:

    > On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:36:13 +0000, Tony Graber wrote:
    >
    >> Hello All!
    >>
    >> I am taking a trip late December to Canyon de Chelly in Chinle, AZ. I
    >> should be at Canyon de Chelly for 3 days, December 28-30. Since I
    >> live in Tucson, I will be driving up to Chinle in my Jeep Liberty
    >> 4X4. That is important because I am hoping to hire a guide and use
    >> my Jeep to go into the canyons of the national monument at Canyon de
    >> Chelly. Questions:
    >>
    >> 1. Does anyone have any advice about the best places and times for
    >> pictures at Canyon de Chelly, or one of the connecting canyons?
    >> 2. Does anyone have any experience about hiring a guide at Canyon de
    >> Chelly and using your own 4X4, instead of taking a "Jeep tour", and
    >> what are those experiences?
    >> 3. Does the Jeep Liberty have high enough clearance to go through
    >> the canyons?
    >>
    >> I have already consulted the Photo Travelers Guide to Arizona and
    >> Photographing the Southwest (Vol. 2 on AZ and UT), so I am mainly
    >> looking for personal experiences with regard to photographing Canyon
    >> de Chelly.
    >>
    >> I will also be staying in Pinetop, AZ for the week of New Years. Are
    >> there any good spots for some good scenic photos in the Pinetop
    >> area? Scenic drives? Mogollon Rim?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,

    > I've not been to Canyon De Chelly, but from my experience in other
    > national parks, you are not generally allowed free reign - I'd be
    > surprised to learn that they have any roads open for free travel that
    > would require four wheel drive.

    Well, apparenty, one can hire a Navajo guide, for a fee, and go into
    both Canyon de Chelly and Canyon del Muerto. Others have done it
    recently and I plan to do the same. Thanks to all for your comments!
    Tony Graber, Dec 7, 2007