    almost as if XP thinks it's a CD-ROM drive instead of a burner. (In fact, the
    icon for the drive in Explorer is labeled "DVD-R".)

    Is there a fix for this?

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgRw==?=, Jan 14, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgRw==?=

    Rick Guest

    Do you have a problem trying to write to both CD or DVD?

    I know that Win x64 does not have built in capability to write to DVD,
    but I'm pretty sure it should write to CD.

    I always use 3rd party software, so I have never encountered a problem
    writing to either CD or DVD.

    Rick, Jan 14, 2006

  3. How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW
    optical disc in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 14, 2006
  4. > How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW
    > optical disc in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

    I looked at this info, but it doesn't help. My system does think the drive
    is writeable because it does have the "Recording" tab on the devices's
    property page. The "Enable CD recording on this drive" box is checked.

    The registry entries look normal: Drive Type is 2 (which indicates a CD-RW
    device, MaxCDWriteSpeed is 48. The only one that looks bogus is
    CurrentCDWriteSpeed, which is set to 0xffffffff.

    Nero Ultra 7 has no problems writing to this drive, either on CD-Rs or
    DVD+/-Rs, so it's strictly a WinXP x64 issue, not a hardware issue.
    Unfortunately, iTunes appears to use the Windows CD writing code, so it can't
    write to this drive either.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgRw==?=, Jan 15, 2006
  5. Some CD/DVD rewriters are not compatible with the Windows cd burner
    software. On my XP Pro SP2 box the CD/DVD R/RW drives cannot burn a data
    cd. Microsoft PSS told me about a year ago that I could not use the Windows
    software with the drives to burn cd's even though they work fine under Roxio
    for burning both cd's and dvd's. Apparently the firmware that supports dvd
    writing is involved. You would think that you could at least burn cd's, but
    such is not the case.

    I thought that this was fixed in x64 (mine works) as it is in Vista, but
    some drives might still not work.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 16, 2006
  6. That is strange, I will continue to search around and if I find anything, I
    will post an update, in the mean time, I would go ahead and continue using
    NERO 7. Sorry I couldn't be of much help. :(

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 16, 2006
  7. Some cd/dvd rw drives (all-in-one) will not burn cd's with the Windows
    software. These are not the cd/rw dvd/r combo drives which do work. On XP
    x86 the all-in-one drives don't work at all.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 16, 2006