Can't Watch DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by nikoli, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. nikoli

    nikoli Guest

    Hello all. I have a Memorex Dual Layer 16x DVD burner and Windows XP.
    (The burner can be found here...)
    http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=3&CID=11&SID=15&PID=782&FID=115&opento=11

    I can watch almost every DVD I put in there. And I can burn CDs no
    problem and listen to them too.

    The problem is that some DVDs refuse to mount. I had this problem with
    two DVDs so far. Both were rentals from Blockbuster. (Pulp Fiction, Rat
    Race) What happens is I can hear the DVD attempt to spin up (I can even
    see the little CD icon next to the mouse pointer briefly) and then I
    hear a buzzing noise from the actual dvd player. It will do this over
    and over again until I take the DVD out. Also, any program attempting to
    access the player while it's doing trying to mount will lock... except
    for dvd decrypter.

    Here's a weird twist. The second disk of Pulp Fiction wouldn't mount,
    but eventually I got it to work. It came with a special viewer that had
    to be installed to view the bonus material. Once I installed it, the
    second disk worked. However, the first disk didn't mount when I first
    inserted it. But it worked just fine after simply ejecting and
    reinserting. Rat Race simply doesn't work at all. It doesn't have a pop
    up either for any installer.

    The firmware is up to date. I think the player is good. It just seems
    like there's something blocking certain DVDs.

    Any help would be suhweet because Memorex doesn't seem to have good
    support on this issue.

    -nikoli
    nikoli, Mar 20, 2005

  2. nikoli

    M.B. Guest

    nikoli wrote:

    > Both were rentals from Blockbuster.

    Ugghhh...THAT should have been your first clue!
    M.B., Mar 20, 2005

  3. nikoli

    nikoli Guest

    M.B. wrote:
    > nikoli wrote:
    >

    >> Both were rentals from Blockbuster.

    > Ugghhh...THAT should have been your first clue!

    Then why do other rentals work just fine?

    Shouldn't any DVD at least play?
    nikoli, Mar 20, 2005
  4. nikoli

    Biz Guest

    The disks are probably just dirty or damaged. You didnt mention what dvd
    playback software you are trying to use. I have yet to find a rental dvd
    that would not play on a PC, but I have found many that skipped or had
    errors due to damage that cleaning would not cure.

    Biz, Mar 20, 2005
  5. nikoli

    nikoli Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > The disks are probably just dirty or damaged. You didnt mention what dvd
    > playback software you are trying to use. I have yet to find a rental dvd
    > that would not play on a PC, but I have found many that skipped or had
    > errors due to damage that cleaning would not cure.
    >
    > "nikoli" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello all. I have a Memorex Dual Layer 16x DVD burner and Windows XP.
    >>(The burner can be found here...)

    I mainly use WMP 10 for playback. But I also use Nero Showtime.

    I guess I left those out because the software never gets a chance to
    load up the video. The dvd never even mounts. It won't even spin up
    properly. That "What would you like to do with this disk" pop up doesn't
    ever come up. When I open WMP to try and load the movie, it hangs... as
    does Showtime.

    I'll try cleaning the disk and we'll see if that works.
    nikoli, Mar 20, 2005
  6. nikoli

    Justin Guest

    nikoli wrote on [Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:27:24 -0600]:
    > M.B. wrote:
    >> nikoli wrote:
    >>

    >>> Both were rentals from Blockbuster.

    >> Ugghhh...THAT should have been your first clue!

    > Then why do other rentals work just fine?
    >
    > Shouldn't any DVD at least play?

    Not if it's damaged.
    Justin, Mar 20, 2005
  7. nikoli

    nikoli Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > nikoli wrote on [Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:27:24 -0600]:
    >
    >>M.B. wrote:

    >>>Ugghhh...THAT should have been your first clue!

    >>Then why do other rentals work just fine?
    >>
    >>Shouldn't any DVD at least play?

    > Not if it's damaged.

    I see, but the DVDs work flawlessly in my stand alone player. I suppose
    I should've mentioned that in the first place.
    nikoli, Mar 20, 2005
  8. nikoli

    Guest

    who needs dvd's? I saw a BBC movie on my Fox tv station Saturday night.

    And it was free. It didn't cost me a thing.
    , Mar 21, 2005
  9. nikoli

    Guest

    my fox tv station shows BBC movies.
    , Mar 21, 2005
  10. nikoli

    Biz Guest

    What are the call letters of that station again?

    Biz, Mar 21, 2005
  11. nikoli

    Richard C. Guest

    --

    <> wrote in message
    > who needs dvd's? I saw a BBC movie on my Fox tv station Saturday night.
    >
    > And it was free. It didn't cost me a thing.

    ===================================
    Except your brain......................
    Richard C., Mar 21, 2005
  12. nikoli

    Richard C. Guest

    --

    <> wrote in message
    > my fox tv station shows BBC movies.

    ========================
    So what?
    Richard C., Mar 21, 2005
  13. nikoli

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote in message
    > --
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    >> who needs dvd's? I saw a BBC movie on my Fox tv station Saturday night.
    >>
    >> And it was free. It didn't cost me a thing.

    > Except your brain......................

    "Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball."

    o:)
    Jay Stewart, Mar 22, 2005