    --
    www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nileh1ZPGq4

    soup, Jan 19, 2007

  2. soup

    Guest

    On Jan 19, 5:26 pm, soup <> wrote:
    > I am using Thunderbird as a news reader but I now get a little red
    > diamond when I try to access attachments with it. Have seen the three
    > shaped multicoloured thing which means "wait" and the little red cross
    > which means "your system can't deal with the pic as it is set up" but I
    > have never seen this little red diamond before, any ideas ? I could
    > see these images yesterday.
    > --www.cheesesoup.myby.co.ukhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nileh1ZPGq4

    , Jan 19, 2007

  3. soup wrote:

    > I am using Thunderbird as a news reader but I now get a little red
    > diamond when I try to access attachments with it.

    Are these attachments single files, or are they multi-part files?

    > Have seen the three shaped multicoloured thing which means "wait" and
    > the little red cross which means "your system can't deal with the pic
    > as it is set up" but I have never seen this little red diamond
    > before, any ideas ? I could see these images yesterday.

    Perhaps you changed some setting on the menu.

    View > Message Body As -> [pick something else]

    View > Display Attachments Inline

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 19, 2007
  4. soup

    soup Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Are these attachments single files, or are they multi-part files?

    These files are single jpegs

    > Perhaps you changed some setting on the menu.
    > View > Message Body As -> [pick something else]
    > View > Display Attachments Inline

    Didn't touch anything. Can see these images using Outlook Express and
    Nowortya but others have said they can view jpegs on other servers using
    Thunderbird looks like some sort of interaction between Thunderbird and
    news.text.blueyonder.co.uk

    soup, Jan 19, 2007
  5. soup

    soup Guest

    soup, Jan 19, 2007
  6. soup wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Are these attachments single files, or are they multi-part files?

    > These files are single jpegs
    >
    >> Perhaps you changed some setting on the menu.
    >> View > Message Body As -> [pick something else]
    >> View > Display Attachments Inline

    > Didn't touch anything. Can see these images using Outlook Express and
    > Nowortya but others have said they can view jpegs on other servers
    > using Thunderbird looks like some sort of interaction between
    > Thunderbird and news.text.blueyonder.co.uk

    I have Tbird 1.5.0.9, and just checked a group that has single .jpegs as
    either/both attached or inline files, and the images display just fine.
    I do have my settings to View as "Plain Text".

    Maybe you need to find another Thunderbird user who uses your news
    server? Do blueyonder have any local help newsgroups?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 19, 2007
  7. soup

    soup Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Maybe you need to find another Thunderbird user who uses your news
    > server? Do blueyonder have any local help newsgroups?

    Have asked in a BY support group seems that lots of people are having
    "issues" with Thunderbird on the BY text server one of the replies is below

    /Thunderbird is quite rigid in the in the way it polls posts and not as
    flexible as other news readers. looks like the servers numbering system
    might have become slightly corrupted when text died last night, hence
    the attachment issues in test../

    Reckon I will just hang tight untill it is sorted or there is some
    sort of "could all Thunderbird users... ." notice as I touched nothing
    between it working and it not working.
    Thanks a lot for thinking about this for me.

    soup, Jan 19, 2007
  8. soup wrote:

    > "when text died last night" ...

    Aha. Seems to be the answer. :)

    Try another newsreader! I'd recommend 40tude Dialog for Windows users.
    http://www.40tude.com/dialog/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 19, 2007
  9. soup

    David Guest

    I thought the golden ruls was never to open attachments in NGs.

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Jan 19, 2007
  10. soup

    soup Guest

    David wrote:
    > I thought the golden ruls was never to open attachments in NGs.

    That is a good way to "live". However if your reader is set to show JPG
    attachments in line then there should be no danger. There was
    speculation that a virus could be attached to a JPG but that wasn't "in
    the wild". Certainly exe files should never be opened unless you REALLY
    trust the source.
    Can't remember what programme strips the extension so people can
    put .jpg as part of the name others see xxxx.jpg, think it is safe and
    open it when really it was xxxx.jpg.exe so watch what you are doing.

    soup, Jan 19, 2007
  11. soup

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 17:28:03 GMT, soup wrote:

    >David wrote:
    >> I thought the golden ruls was never to open attachments in NGs.

    >That is a good way to "live". However if your reader is set to show JPG

    <snip>
    >Can't remember what programme strips the extension so people can
    >put .jpg as part of the name others see xxxx.jpg, think it is safe and
    >open it when really it was xxxx.jpg.exe so watch what you are doing.

    How about the idiotic Windows Explorer,
    Hide file extensions for known file types

    Me

    why?, Jan 19, 2007