    and the next day I couldn't. Is this a server issue or a Windows Mail
    issue or what?

    Jim Beaver

    jumblejim, Jul 30, 2009

  2. jumblejim

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:04:20 -0700, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Try a different client.
    >www.forteinc.com free agent.
    >Thunderbird from mozilla.
    >Xananews.
    >
    >www.newsguy.com also has a web based client.
    >You can try them out free for a 3 day period.

    So... Let me get this straight. OP claims to have made no changes to
    their usenet client. And, without asking what the error is, you tell
    them a different client will resolve the problem?

    For all you know, the error is "Your account has been disabled from
    posting. Please contact billing."

    St00pid.

    Evan Platt, Jul 30, 2009

  3. Hello,

    Are you still able to send mails as per normal in Windows Mail?

    --
    Regards,
    Singapore Computer Home Repair Service

    Singapore Computer Service, Jul 30, 2009
  4. jumblejim

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 02:12:28 +0800, "Singapore Computer Service"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Are you still able to send mails as per normal in Windows Mail?

    Please learn to bottom post. A top post with a sig deliminator is
    stupid. Think about it.

    And what the HECK does posting to a newsgroup have to do with sending
    mail?

    One has NOTHING to do with the other.

    Evan Platt, Jul 30, 2009
  5. jumblejim

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:22:33 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >top-posting - now with a correct sig delimiter that completely *trims*
    >the quoted text, so anyone replying to your post will lose all that?
    >
    >Learn how to post!

    Baby steps. Baby steps.

    Evan Platt, Jul 30, 2009
  6. jumblejim

    Mike Easter Guest

    jumblejim wrote:
    > When my ATT server stopped providing newsgroups this month, I signed
    > on to a new one (202.177.16.121).

    An IP number isn't the name of a newsserver. If you started using an IP
    address as a newsserver account, perhaps you were using a newsserver as
    if it were 'open' or public which it wasn't.

    There is a newsserver at that IP which calls itself news.netfront.net,
    but that name resolves to a different IP. There is also a newsserver
    named freenews.netfront.net which does resolve to that IP you gave and
    answers on port 119 as described above.

    Whenever you are using newsservers, it is advisable to have more than
    one, preferably free, preferably which is well administered and
    preferably which provides some filtering. Currently eternal-september
    is popular and meets those criteria. It requires registration
    http://www.eternal-september.org/

    > It worked immediately and I barely
    > skipped a beat in my newsgroup usage. Then a couple of days ago, I
    > could no longer send messages to the newsgroups. I still downloaded
    > messages to read, but my replies or new posts just stacked up in my
    > Outbox. (I'm using Windows Mail to read newsgroups.) I've tried re-
    > installing, and I even signed on to a different newsgroup server
    > (nntp.aioe.org). Still can't send out newsgroup messages (but still
    > no problem reading posts.) I've had to use Google Groups just to post
    > this.

    One way to workaround newsaccount problems with windowsmail which is a
    rebadged OE is to create a new identity.

    > None of my settings seem to have changed. Just one day I could post
    > and the next day I couldn't. Is this a server issue or a Windows Mail
    > issue or what?

    If aioe doesn't work either, it isn't 'just' a server issue. I would
    register for an eternal-september account. If that doesn't work, I
    would create a new identity in winmail and set up an account in that
    identity.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 30, 2009
  7. In message <>,
    jumblejim wrote:
    > When my ATT server stopped providing newsgroups this month, I signed
    > on to a new one (202.177.16.121). It worked immediately and I barely
    > skipped a beat in my newsgroup usage. Then a couple of days ago, I
    > could no longer send messages to the newsgroups. I still downloaded
    > messages to read, but my replies or new posts just stacked up in my
    > Outbox. (I'm using Windows Mail to read newsgroups.) I've tried re-
    > installing, and I even signed on to a different newsgroup server
    > (nntp.aioe.org). Still can't send out newsgroup messages (but still
    > no problem reading posts.) I've had to use Google Groups just to post
    > this.
    >
    > None of my settings seem to have changed. Just one day I could post
    > and the next day I couldn't. Is this a server issue or a Windows Mail
    > issue or what?
    >
    > Jim Beaver

    Read this thread:
    http://www.electronicspoint.com/generate-5v-12v-t164701p3.html

    HTH

    ^_^

    --
    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 30, 2009
  8. jumblejim

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Jul 30, 2009
  9. jumblejim

    jumblejim Guest

    On Jul 30, 12:01 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > One way to workaround newsaccount problems with windowsmail which is a
    > rebadged OE is to create a new identity.
    >
    > > None of my settings seem to have changed.  Just one day I could post
    > > and the next day I couldn't.  Is this a server issue or a Windows Mail
    > > issue or what?

    > If aioe doesn't work either, it isn't 'just' a server issue.  I would
    > register for an eternal-september account.  If that doesn't work, I
    > would create a new identity in winmail and set up an account in that
    > identity.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks, Mike. I signed up for eternal-september and that resolved the
    issue.

    Jim Beaver

    jumblejim, Jul 30, 2009
  10. jumblejim

    chuckcar Guest

    jumblejim <> wrote in

    > When my ATT server stopped providing newsgroups this month, I signed
    > on to a new one (202.177.16.121). It worked immediately and I barely
    > skipped a beat in my newsgroup usage. Then a couple of days ago, I
    > could no longer send messages to the newsgroups. I still downloaded
    > messages to read, but my replies or new posts just stacked up in my
    > Outbox. (I'm using Windows Mail to read newsgroups.) I've tried re-
    > installing, and I even signed on to a different newsgroup server
    > (nntp.aioe.org). Still can't send out newsgroup messages (but still
    > no problem reading posts.) I've had to use Google Groups just to post
    > this.
    >
    > None of my settings seem to have changed. Just one day I could post
    > and the next day I couldn't. Is this a server issue or a Windows Mail
    > issue or what?

    What *are* your settings for that server. I have no user name and or
    password and just posted fine

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 30, 2009
  11. jumblejim

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 18:50:53 -0700, richard <>
    wrote:

    >No error message given or indicated.

    If the OP is unable to post, they'd get an error message. Your
    suggestion was completely st00pid.

    >Quite possible that the server itself restricted the use.

    Isn't that what I said?

    >On another service, I once got kicked off for some unknown reason.

    Unknown to you maybe.

    >When I contacted them, they said it was due to their new filter they
    >were using and needed the information to help clean it up with.
    >Once they put me on the "allow" list, I was fine.

    Good for you.

    Evan Platt, Jul 31, 2009
  12. jumblejim

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 19:26:26 -0700, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Forte agent can automatically eliminate the signature if at bottom, or
    >what ever is below it.

    That's what BTS said.

    Sheesh.

    Evan Platt, Jul 31, 2009
  13. richard wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> top-posting - now with a correct sig delimiter that completely
    >> *trims* the quoted text, so anyone replying to your post will lose
    >> all that?
    >>
    >> Learn how to post!

    > Forte agent can automatically eliminate the signature if at bottom,
    > or what ever is below it.

    So can every other newsreader on the planet, with the major exception of
    Outhouse Distress and the spawn Windows Mail.

    > Actually, some years ago there was a poster in this group who had a
    > vision problem and used reading software. So it became a habit for us
    > to top post so she could more easily find the replies.

    Then that poster was not aware of the desires of the blind - according
    to this web page from the Royal National Institute for the Blind. See
    the third paragraph.

    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm

    I'm not going to argue with a Royal Institute!

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 31, 2009
  14. Rôgêr wrote:

    > I liked the ambiance of this group better when there weren't so many
    > netkops insisting on posting one way or the other. I have no trouble
    > reading top or bottom posts, not sure why there are so many anal
    > posters these days.

    I commented because the Slingapore guy added the sig delimiter, thereby
    causing all the referenced content to be lost in a reply. The top- or
    bottom-post wasn't the issue. (Well, if he wouldn't top-post, there'd
    be no problem with the sig delimiter...)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 31, 2009
  15. jumblejim

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 23:44:59 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >I liked the ambiance of this group better when there weren't so many
    >netkops insisting on posting one way or the other. I have no trouble
    >reading top or bottom posts, not sure why there are so many anal posters
    >these days.

    Camelot is gone into the world of dreams, and cannot come again.

    --
    "If there is one thing upon this earth that mankind love and admire
    better than another, it is a brave man, - it is the man who dares to look

    Mara, Jul 31, 2009
  16. jumblejim

    Mike Easter Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > I have no trouble
    > reading top or bottom posts,

    You post similarly to a top poster. You don't trim and contextualize.
    You 'bottom post' untrimmed and noncontextualized just like top posters
    top post nontrimmed and noncontextualized.

    Just like the top poster, you hit reply and start typing without
    trimming. Except the top poster starts typing at the top and you start
    typing at the bottom.

    The argument about the 'responsiveness' of a reply has to do with
    putting it in context - not noncontexted top vs bottom.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 31, 2009
  17. jumblejim

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:57:43 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have no trouble
    >>> reading top or bottom posts,

    < Educational stuff explaining differences between correct and incorrect
    < posting styles.

    > Mike, I think I love you. Have you ever worn light green chiffon
    > negligees to bed, with soft lighting and caviar? Perhaps a little Barry
    > Manilow on the stereo?

    Bottom-posted that may have been, but at least it was contextualised. As
    was this reply.

    Aardvark, Jul 31, 2009
  18. jumblejim

    Mike Easter Guest

    Aardvark wrote:

    > Bottom-posted that may have been, but at least it was contextualised.

    As
    > was this reply.

    Roger hasn't trimmed anything I've seen around here. Just because some
    bottom posts may not need any trimming for context doesn't mean that
    Roger should never trim.

    The most legitimate argument that the top posters make is when they
    setup the strawman about what is wrong with bottom posting -- which they
    typically define as I do as untrimmed and needing trimming for context.
    Then they can say that it is better to top post than bottom post,
    because it is too much trouble to read a long conversation of
    bottomposting in near realtime.

    "I can't be bothered with trimming and if you don't see it my way, you
    are a NetKop."

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 31, 2009
  19. jumblejim

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:19:27 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >
    >> Camelot is gone into the world of dreams, and cannot come again.

    >I had a lot of possible retorts, but out of respect and my position in
    >the community, I decided to not do it.

    You're a lucky man.

    Mara, Jul 31, 2009
  20. jumblejim

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:36:24 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mike Easter wrote:

    <snip>

    >> "I can't be bothered with trimming and if you don't see it my way, you
    >> are a NetKop."

    >You absolutely redefine the meaning of Netkop. You are so fucking anal
    >about teaching others to post the way you want them to, you forget that
    >many people are just happening by Usenet and don't know your way of
    >posting. Lighten up, it won't kill you.
    >
    >And so what if you teach all the billions of humans to post the way you
    >like it? Will the world be a better place? You do give out some good
    >advice from time to time, I'll give you that. But your obsessive
    >compulsion with making everyone post the way you want it negates all
    >your positives. Give it a rest.

    Good thing he wasn't in here (tinh) 5-10 years ago. You know. Back when it was
    actually *fun.*

    Mara, Jul 31, 2009