    --
    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
    http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/index.php

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Aug 27, 2005

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes

    Fred Povey Guest

    Format a Compact Flash card (this will erase all the photos on it, so
    be sure you've copied the ones you want to hard disk).

    Remove the card and put it in a card reader attached to your computer.
    Copy the update file from the computer to the Compact Flash card.

    Make sure the camera is turned off and make sure its battery is fully
    charged (so it won't die halfway through the update, which could
    require you to take the camera to a dealer). Then put the Compact Flash
    card into the camera and turn the camera on. You'll see the message
    that the firmware is updating. When it says the update is complete,
    format the Compact Flash card again to get rid of the update file, and
    you're all set.

    Fred Povey, Aug 27, 2005

  3. On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:23:45 -0400, Fred Povey
    <> wrote:

    >Format a Compact Flash card (this will erase all the photos on it, so
    >be sure you've copied the ones you want to hard disk).
    >
    >Remove the card and put it in a card reader attached to your computer.
    >Copy the update file from the computer to the Compact Flash card.
    >
    >Make sure the camera is turned off and make sure its battery is fully
    >charged (so it won't die halfway through the update, which could
    >require you to take the camera to a dealer). Then put the Compact Flash
    >card into the camera and turn the camera on. You'll see the message
    >that the firmware is updating. When it says the update is complete,
    >format the Compact Flash card again to get rid of the update file, and
    >you're all set.

    Wrong. With the 20D after the camera is on, he must then turn on the
    Menu and go the yellow setup menu (see pg. 31 of the 20D owner's
    manual) and scroll to the firmware entry and select update and then
    select yes. The camera will not update automatically. Canon
    describes this procedure in detail in the firmware documentation.

    "There has always been war. War is raging throughout the world
    at the present moment. And there is little reason to believe
    that war will cease to exist in the future. As man has become
    increasingly civilized, his means of destroying his fellow man
    have become ever more efficient, cruel and devastating.
    Is it possible to put an end to a form of human behavior which
    has existed throughout history by means of photography?
    The proportions of that notion seem ridiculously out of balance.
    Yet, that very idea has motivated me.

    James Nachtwey
    War Photographer
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Aug 27, 2005
  4. "Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <> wrote in message
    >I just downloaded the latest version of the firmware for the Canon 20D.
    >When
    > trying to upgrade, I got the following message:
    >
    > Firmware update
    > -----------------------------
    > CF card containing firmware
    > is required to update.
    > Cannot update
    >
    > [STOP]
    >

    > Anyone seen this before? What the h**l do I do now?

    Mine went the first time but I have read that others had to try again and
    that it worked for them on the second attempt. Also, be sure that you are
    following the directions as provided by Canon.

    Charles Schuler, Aug 27, 2005
  5. Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

    > I just downloaded the latest version of the firmware for the Canon 20D.
    > When trying to upgrade, I got the following message:
    >
    > Firmware update
    > -----------------------------
    > CF card containing firmware
    > is required to update.
    > Cannot update
    >
    > [STOP]
    >

    > Anyone seen this before? What the h**l do I do now?

    I found out... it was my own fault... I thought I put the new firmware on
    the root of the CF card... but I did not...

    When I discovered this and moved the file to the right position, it went
    like a dream... not a nightmare... ;-)

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Aug 27, 2005
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes

    Fred Povey Guest

    In article <>, John A.
    Stovall <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:23:45 -0400, Fred Povey
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Format a Compact Flash card (this will erase all the photos on it, so
    > >be sure you've copied the ones you want to hard disk).
    > >
    > >Remove the card and put it in a card reader attached to your computer.
    > >Copy the update file from the computer to the Compact Flash card.
    > >
    > >Make sure the camera is turned off and make sure its battery is fully
    > >charged (so it won't die halfway through the update, which could
    > >require you to take the camera to a dealer). Then put the Compact Flash
    > >card into the camera and turn the camera on. You'll see the message
    > >that the firmware is updating. When it says the update is complete,
    > >format the Compact Flash card again to get rid of the update file, and
    > >you're all set.

    > Wrong. With the 20D after the camera is on, he must then turn on the
    > Menu and go the yellow setup menu (see pg. 31 of the 20D owner's
    > manual) and scroll to the firmware entry and select update and then
    > select yes. The camera will not update automatically. Canon
    > describes this procedure in detail in the firmware documentation.

    Sorry, I assumed it would work the same way on the 20D as on the 10D,
    which updates automatically just as I described.

    Fred Povey, Aug 28, 2005
  7. On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 02:06:54 -0400, Fred Povey
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, John A.
    >Stovall <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:23:45 -0400, Fred Povey
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Format a Compact Flash card (this will erase all the photos on it, so
    >> >be sure you've copied the ones you want to hard disk).
    >> >
    >> >Remove the card and put it in a card reader attached to your computer.
    >> >Copy the update file from the computer to the Compact Flash card.
    >> >
    >> >Make sure the camera is turned off and make sure its battery is fully
    >> >charged (so it won't die halfway through the update, which could
    >> >require you to take the camera to a dealer). Then put the Compact Flash
    >> >card into the camera and turn the camera on. You'll see the message
    >> >that the firmware is updating. When it says the update is complete,
    >> >format the Compact Flash card again to get rid of the update file, and
    >> >you're all set.

    >> Wrong. With the 20D after the camera is on, he must then turn on the
    >> Menu and go the yellow setup menu (see pg. 31 of the 20D owner's
    >> manual) and scroll to the firmware entry and select update and then
    >> select yes. The camera will not update automatically. Canon
    >> describes this procedure in detail in the firmware documentation.

    >Sorry, I assumed it would work the same way on the 20D as on the 10D,
    >which updates automatically just as I described.

    I didn't think you owned a 20D. Never assume when it comes to
    technology, read the manual.

    "I believe that all government is evil,
    in that all government must necessarily make war upon liberty...

    From "Mencken's Creed"
    H.L. Mencken (1880 -1956)

    John A. Stovall, Aug 28, 2005
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:30:01 GMT, John A. Stovall wrote:

    >> Sorry, I assumed it would work the same way on the 20D
    >> as on the 10D, which updates automatically just as I described.

    > I didn't think you owned a 20D. Never assume when it comes to
    > technology, read the manual.

    Uh, I don't think the 10D manual will describe the procedure
    needed to update the 20D's firmware. :)

    ASAAR, Aug 28, 2005
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    >I just downloaded the latest version of the firmware for the Canon 20D.
    >When
    > trying to upgrade, I got the following message:
    >
    > Firmware update
    > -----------------------------
    > CF card containing firmware
    > is required to update.
    > Cannot update
    >
    > [STOP]
    >

    > Anyone seen this before? What the h**l do I do now?

    did you make sure to remove the lens?

    Kinon O'Cann, Aug 29, 2005
  10. "Kinon O'Cann" <Yes@i'm.bowser> wrote in message
    SNIP
    >> Anyone seen this before? What the h**l do I do now?

    > did you make sure to remove the lens?

    and unzip/unstuff the file and place it in the root directory of the
    CF card, it's all in the documentation.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Aug 29, 2005
  11. On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:17:51 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:30:01 GMT, John A. Stovall wrote:
    >
    >>> Sorry, I assumed it would work the same way on the 20D
    >>> as on the 10D, which updates automatically just as I described.

    >> I didn't think you owned a 20D. Never assume when it comes to
    >> technology, read the manual.

    > Uh, I don't think the 10D manual will describe the procedure
    >needed to update the 20D's firmware. :)

    That was the point he didn't have 20D manual to read and assumed it
    was like the 10D.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Aug 29, 2005
  12. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:09:03 -0500, John A. Stovall wrote:

    >>> I didn't think you owned a 20D. Never assume when it comes to
    >>> technology, read the manual.

    >> Uh, I don't think the 10D manual will describe the procedure
    >>needed to update the 20D's firmware. :)

    > That was the point he didn't have 20D manual to read and assumed it
    > was like the 10D.

    That was understood. But it was reasonable for Fred to try to
    help, and unreasonable for him to download a manual (especially if
    by modem) to confirm a hunch. A few may do that, but going the
    extra mile shouldn't be expected, as you did. Of course it would
    have been better had Fred say "This is how the 10D does it . . ."

    ASAAR, Aug 29, 2005