cant unsub from email

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    I signed up to Cokes newletter thing ages ago and decided today I wanted to
    get off their mail list.
    Found the info on how to do so, sent the unsubscribe email.... what do I get
    in return ?

    Unrouteable address

    Might be easier for me to put a note in a coke bottle and throw it to the
    sea.......

    I havent read the NZ anti-spam law thats coming out soon, but in a case like
    this (ok, so its most likely a genuine stuff-up) where a site/email offers
    an unsubscribe system but it dosent work for anyone at anytime, would that
    company fall under the spam law ? Just curious.

    XPD, Aug 9, 2007

  2. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >I signed up to Cokes newletter thing ages ago and decided today I wanted to
    >get off their mail list.
    > Found the info on how to do so, sent the unsubscribe email.... what do I
    > get in return ?

    > Unrouteable address
    >

    > Might be easier for me to put a note in a coke bottle and throw it to the
    > sea.......
    >

    > I havent read the NZ anti-spam law thats coming out soon, but in a case
    > like this (ok, so its most likely a genuine stuff-up) where a site/email
    > offers an unsubscribe system but it dosent work for anyone at anytime,
    > would that company fall under the spam law ? Just curious.

    Ive also just found that cokelounge.co.nz isnt even registered yet theyre
    sending emails from it with obviously no hope of ever replying to them :)

    XPD, Aug 9, 2007

  3. "XPD" <> wrote in message

    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >>I signed up to Cokes newletter thing ages ago and decided today I wanted
    >>to get off their mail list.
    >> Found the info on how to do so, sent the unsubscribe email.... what do I
    >> get in return ?
    >>
    >> A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    >> recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

    Just use 'block sender' to be found in 'Message' options.

    Roger Dewhurst, Aug 9, 2007
  4. XPD

    Shane Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > Ive also just found that cokelounge.co.nz isnt even registered yet theyre
    > sending emails from it with obviously no hope of ever replying to them :)

    Give a copy (including all headers) to Craigs site http://www.spam.co.nz
    And, do a whois on the Originating IP, see if any helpful information pops
    up

    --
    Q: Why do mathematicians often confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25.

    Shane, Aug 9, 2007
  5. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >> I signed up to Cokes newletter thing ages ago and decided today I wanted to
    >> get off their mail list.
    >> Found the info on how to do so, sent the unsubscribe email.... what do I
    >> get in return ?
    >>
    >> A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    >> recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
    >>

    >> Unrouteable address
    >>

    >> Might be easier for me to put a note in a coke bottle and throw it to the
    >> sea.......
    >>

    >> I havent read the NZ anti-spam law thats coming out soon, but in a case
    >> like this (ok, so its most likely a genuine stuff-up) where a site/email
    >> offers an unsubscribe system but it dosent work for anyone at anytime,
    >> would that company fall under the spam law ? Just curious.
    >>

    > Ive also just found that cokelounge.co.nz isnt even registered yet theyre
    > sending emails from it with obviously no hope of ever replying to them :)

    Send them an email about it.

    Or grab the Domain Name and squat on it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 9, 2007
  6. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Ive also just found that cokelounge.co.nz isnt even registered yet theyre
    >> sending emails from it with obviously no hope of ever replying to them :)
    >>

    > Send them an email about it.
    >
    > Or grab the Domain Name and squat on it.

    Done 1 and considering 2 ;)

    XPD, Aug 9, 2007
  7. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >>> Ive also just found that cokelounge.co.nz isnt even registered yet theyre
    >>> sending emails from it with obviously no hope of ever replying to them :)
    >>>

    >> Send them an email about it.
    >>
    >> Or grab the Domain Name and squat on it.

    > Done 1 and considering 2 ;)

    1 was a joke, 2 was not serious :cool:. Though I did go and check!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 9, 2007
  8. XPD

    Allistar Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:

    > "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >>>I signed up to Cokes newletter thing ages ago and decided today I wanted
    >>>to get off their mail list.
    >>> Found the info on how to do so, sent the unsubscribe email.... what do I
    >>> get in return ?
    >>>
    >>> A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    >>> recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
    >>>

    > Just use 'block sender' to be found in 'Message' options.

    What software is that in?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 9, 2007
  9. XPD

    none Guest

    Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    > Just use 'block sender' to be found in 'Message' options.

    LOL!!!

    Because the whole world uses Outlook Express.

    none, Aug 9, 2007
  10. In message <f9ftr7$oe1$>, XPD wrote:

    > Ive also just found that cokelounge.co.nz isnt even registered yet theyre
    > sending emails from it with obviously no hope of ever replying to them :)

    Can you post the headers for one such message? That will give us a clue as
    to where they're really coming from.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 10, 2007
  11. XPD

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <f9ftr7$oe1$>, XPD wrote:
    >
    >> Ive also just found that cokelounge.co.nz isnt even registered yet theyre
    >> sending emails from it with obviously no hope of ever replying to them :)

    > Can you post the headers for one such message? That will give us a clue as
    > to where they're really coming from.

    They are being sent from sumo.co.nz/Cactuslab.com

    Sumo is a web-based email campaign management tool developed by
    Cactuslab, a multimedia studio in Auckland, New Zealand.

    Crap email too. All images, no text. So if you have download images
    turned off you just get a black background.

    Squiggle, Aug 10, 2007
  12. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >I signed up to Cokes newletter thing ages ago and decided today I wanted to
    >get off their mail list.
    > Found the info on how to do so, sent the unsubscribe email.... what do I
    > get in return ?

    > Unrouteable address
    >

    > Might be easier for me to put a note in a coke bottle and throw it to the
    > sea.......
    >

    > I havent read the NZ anti-spam law thats coming out soon, but in a case
    > like this (ok, so its most likely a genuine stuff-up) where a site/email
    > offers an unsubscribe system but it dosent work for anyone at anytime,
    > would that company fall under the spam law ? Just curious.

    Reply from Coke... obviously they dont have anyone with a clue about the
    internet working on the helpdesk...

    If you could please supply me with the email address that is receiving the
    emails, I will be able to sort this problem out.
    ===========

    Replied with....

    If you are uncertain as to what I am getting at, then forward this email to
    your IT team, they should click on immediately as to what I am getting at.
    ================

    XPD, Aug 10, 2007
  13. In <> none wrote:
    > Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >> Just use 'block sender' to be found in 'Message' options.

    > LOL!!!
    >
    > Because the whole world uses Outlook Express.

    You and I don't, but XPD does. It's not a good solution though, since
    the emails will still be sent.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 10, 2007
  14. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >
    >> "XPD" <> wrote in message
    >>> "XPD" <> wrote in message

    >> Just use 'block sender' to be found in 'Message' options.

    > What software is that in?

    KNode

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 10, 2007
  15. XPD

    Allistar Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Roger Dewhurst wrote:
    >>
    >>> "XPD" <> wrote in message

    >>> Just use 'block sender' to be found in 'Message' options.

    >> What software is that in?
    >>

    > KNode

    What has KNode got to do with receiving emails?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 11, 2007
  16. XPD

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:36:05 +1200, XPD wrote:

    > I signed up to Cokes newletter thing ages ago and decided today I wanted
    > to get off their mail list.
    > Found the info on how to do so, sent the unsubscribe email.... what do I
    > get in return ?

    > Unrouteable address
    >

    > Might be easier for me to put a note in a coke bottle and throw it to
    > the sea.......

    Hint, filter these messages into junk. find a e-mail client which does,
    if yours does not.

    > I havent read the NZ anti-spam law thats coming out soon, but in a case
    > like this (ok, so its most likely a genuine stuff-up) where a site/email
    > offers an unsubscribe system but it dosent work for anyone at anytime,
    > would that company fall under the spam law ? Just curious.

    Hint, you opted in. As in

    > I signed up to Cokes newletter thing ages ago and decided today I wanted
    > to get off their mail list.

    Sorry, you *requested* the REAL THING (tm). Get over it, and be more
    careful next time.

    Gordon, Aug 11, 2007
  17. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Hint, you opted in. As in
    >
    >> I signed up to Cokes newletter thing ages ago and decided today I wanted
    >> to get off their mail list.

    > Sorry, you *requested* the REAL THING (tm). Get over it, and be more
    > careful next time.

    Yeah, which had a legit domain attached to it at the time and now Coke have
    let that lapse.
    So its not my fault.

    Anyway, its done with now.

    XPD, Aug 11, 2007
  18. XPD wrote:
    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> Hint, you opted in. As in
    >>
    >>> I signed up to Cokes newletter thing ages ago and decided today I wanted
    >>> to get off their mail list.

    >> Sorry, you *requested* the REAL THING (tm). Get over it, and be more
    >> careful next time.

    > Yeah, which had a legit domain attached to it at the time and now Coke have
    > let that lapse.
    > So its not my fault.
    >
    > Anyway, its done with now.

    OT but never the less related: