    "not local host ........org.uk, not a gateway".
    It seems to have some connection with my AVG but I don't know what it is,
    thanks

    matt, Dec 3, 2004

  2. matt

    WormWood Guest

    Contact your isp and check if your outgoing mail is configured
    correctly. It is doubtful AVG has anything to do with it.

    WormWood, Dec 3, 2004

  3. matt

    WormWood Guest

    Is the error code "550" by any chance? You are probably trying to send
    mail while not connected to your network. This web page deals with this
    issue. Although the OE version and your isp are different than used in
    this illustration, the principle is the same.
    http://support.lonetree.com/emailhelp/550/oe5.asp
    http://support.lonetree.com/emailhelp/smtp.asp

    WormWood, Dec 3, 2004
  4. matt

    matt Guest

    This is what the returned message says

    This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.

    below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

    I have two mail accounts and one works fine but my main one (which I need
    for business ....I am a photographer) is the one I need. I receive mail okay
    but when I try to reply, I always get it sent back with the above message!
    "WormWood" <> wrote in

    matt, Dec 3, 2004
  5. matt

    WormWood Guest

    "matt" <> wrote in message
    > This is what the returned message says
    >
    > This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.
    >
    > I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
    > below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.
    >

    > I have two mail accounts and one works fine but my main one (which I
    > need
    > for business ....I am a photographer) is the one I need. I receive
    > mail okay
    > but when I try to reply, I always get it sent back with the above
    > message!
    > "WormWood" <> wrote in

    I have never heard of AVG sending an error message via email. I am not
    suggesting you stated the facts wrong, only that there isn't very much
    information here to base an opinion on. Such as: could a virus act in
    this manner? Could a mail recipient be for whatever reason, sending
    these messages? Have you had a good look at the headers of this mail?
    Just in case AVGs OE5 plug-in is corrupt, have you tried deselecting
    outgoing mail scanning? If you could press ctrl - F3, copy the header of
    one of the messages and post it, (after editing your personal
    references,) someone may be able to help.

    WW
    Then, I guess it's time for more information.
    1.

    WormWood, Dec 4, 2004
  6. matt

    matt Guest

    I'm not too sure what you mean exactly. Here's an example. I received this
    message the other day

    "boiiing!

    I replied saying "The books are in thje post".

    then this came back to me

    "This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.

    below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

    : not local host worldcrossing.com, not a
    gateway

    Your e-mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this
    message.

    Should you need assistance, please e-mail to postmaster@195.188.18.202."

    This happens to every post I reply to! It sometimes happens when I create a
    new post and sometimes it doesn't. I tried mailing the "postmaster" but it
    came back as well!

    matt, Dec 4, 2004
  7. matt

    Plato Guest

    matt wrote:

    > Can anyone explain to me why, every time I try to reply to a mail, I get the
    > message returned with this on it
    > "not local host ........org.uk, not a gateway".

    I get that message when I forget to change the SMTP host for outgoing
    mail. In other words, If I'm using my cable Internet but the SMTP host
    setting is set for my dialup then I get that message.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 4, 2004
  8. matt

    Plato Guest

    matt wrote:

    > I have two mail accounts and one works fine but my main one (which I need
    > for business ....I am a photographer) is the one I need. I receive mail okay
    > but when I try to reply, I always get it sent back with the above message!

    Right, if you have two accounts on different ISPs you often have to be
    logged onto the ISP that has the email account you wish to send with. In
    other words, my dialup isp wont allow me to send mail via their email
    server if I'm on my cable isp. Although one can receive email no matter
    what isp you're connected to.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 4, 2004
  9. matt

    Guest

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 10:41:48 +0000 (UTC), "matt"
    <> wrote:

    |> I replied saying "The books are in thje post".
    |>

    |> then this came back to me
    |>
    |> "This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.
    |>
    |> I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
    |> below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

    Right off hand I'd say AVG might be doing it's job, you might be trying
    to send out a worm or whatever, I read the manual and all it say's is
    that if there is a problem with e-mail (in/out) it will be store'd in a
    temp dir.

    Look for the root directory $VAULT$.AVG and see if your messages are
    stored there, you'll need a decent text editor (UltraEdit) to read them
    and determine what the files are, the extensions will be .FIL.

    If you can't find the directory $VAULT$.AVG, I'm on the wrong track as
    it's only created when problems are found.

    , Dec 4, 2004