    this issue.
    Any ideas?
    WC

    WCH, Jan 12, 2005

  2. WCH

    Guest

    Replace the keyboard!

    Maybe that is why it sold on Ebay for such a good price...
    Jerry G.
    ======

    , Jan 12, 2005

  3. WCH

    Old Gringo Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > I'm stumped. Bought a Sony Picturebook PCG-C1MVP on eBay a month ago.
    > Transmeta Crusoe 766 chip, 256MB ram, Windows XP Pro clean install fully
    > patched and updated. Virus protected, spyware scanned. Everything
    > works great except that the machine WILL NOT TYPE A CAPITAL "P"! How is
    > this possible? Skip the pee jokes, if you can resist. Will type every
    > single lower case letter including "p", so it isn't the key on the
    > keyboard. Will type every single upper case letter except "P" and all
    > numbers and symbols. AND -- if you press Caps Lock, it WILL type an
    > upper case "P"! So all it won't do is type a capital "P" when you hold
    > down the Shift key and press "p". And it happens in every font. Happens
    > in Word, in OpenOffice, even if I'm just trying to rename files in
    > Windows Explorer. I have absolutely no idea what to do to address this
    > issue.
    > Any ideas?
    > WC

    Sounds like trouble in River City and that starts with a capitol T.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Jan 12, 2005
  4. Old Gringo wrote:
    > WCH wrote:
    >> I'm stumped. Bought a Sony Picturebook PCG-C1MVP on eBay a month ago.
    >> Transmeta Crusoe 766 chip, 256MB ram, Windows XP Pro clean install fully
    >> patched and updated. Virus protected, spyware scanned. Everything
    >> works great except that the machine WILL NOT TYPE A CAPITAL "P"! How is
    >> this possible? Skip the pee jokes, if you can resist. Will type every
    >> single lower case letter including "p", so it isn't the key on the
    >> keyboard. Will type every single upper case letter except "P" and all
    >> numbers and symbols. AND -- if you press Caps Lock, it WILL type an
    >> upper case "P"! So all it won't do is type a capital "P" when you hold
    >> down the Shift key and press "p". And it happens in every font. Happens
    >> in Word, in OpenOffice, even if I'm just trying to rename files in
    >> Windows Explorer. I have absolutely no idea what to do to address this
    >> issue.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> WC

    > Sounds like trouble in River City and that starts with a capitol T.

    Does that happen to rhyme with anything significant, here? :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 12, 2005
  5. WCH wrote:

    > I'm stumped. Bought a Sony Picturebook PCG-C1MVP on eBay a month ago.
    > Transmeta Crusoe 766 chip, 256MB ram, Windows XP Pro clean install fully
    > patched and updated. Virus protected, spyware scanned. Everything
    > works great except that the machine WILL NOT TYPE A CAPITAL "P"! How is
    > this possible? Skip the pee jokes, if you can resist. Will type every
    > single lower case letter including "p", so it isn't the key on the
    > keyboard. Will type every single upper case letter except "P" and all
    > numbers and symbols. AND -- if you press Caps Lock, it WILL type an
    > upper case "P"! So all it won't do is type a capital "P" when you hold
    > down the Shift key and press "p". And it happens in every font.
    > Happens in Word, in OpenOffice, even if I'm just trying to rename files
    > in Windows Explorer. I have absolutely no idea what to do to address
    > this issue.

    <blink>

    That's a very weird issue. As simple as it is (the issue, not the cause),
    I'd say it's the weirdest I've seen, lately. I wish I had some help for
    you, and I know you must be pretty frustrated, and I know the awarding
    of the Blinky's Weirdest Problem Of The Day medal to your keyboard is no
    help, but there you go. I hope someone comes up with something useful,
    here, but I can't imagine what it might be.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 12, 2005
  6. WCH

    Old Gringo Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > WCH wrote:
    >

    >>I'm stumped. Bought a Sony Picturebook PCG-C1MVP on eBay a month ago.
    >>Transmeta Crusoe 766 chip, 256MB ram, Windows XP Pro clean install fully
    >>patched and updated. Virus protected, spyware scanned. Everything
    >>works great except that the machine WILL NOT TYPE A CAPITAL "P"! How is
    >>this possible? Skip the pee jokes, if you can resist. Will type every
    >>single lower case letter including "p", so it isn't the key on the
    >>keyboard. Will type every single upper case letter except "P" and all
    >>numbers and symbols. AND -- if you press Caps Lock, it WILL type an
    >>upper case "P"! So all it won't do is type a capital "P" when you hold
    >>down the Shift key and press "p". And it happens in every font.
    >>Happens in Word, in OpenOffice, even if I'm just trying to rename files
    >>in Windows Explorer. I have absolutely no idea what to do to address
    >>this issue.

    > <blink>
    >
    > That's a very weird issue. As simple as it is (the issue, not the cause),
    > I'd say it's the weirdest I've seen, lately. I wish I had some help for
    > you, and I know you must be pretty frustrated, and I know the awarding
    > of the Blinky's Weirdest Problem Of The Day medal to your keyboard is no
    > help, but there you go. I hope someone comes up with something useful,
    > here, but I can't imagine what it might be.

    I am trying to make this rhyme, lets see pretty frustrated. Nope that
    don't rhyme. How about Hope someone comes up with something. Nope
    that don't rhyme either. Oh Well. :) Have a good one Blinky the Shark.

    Old Gringo, Jan 12, 2005
  7. WCH

    Rob K Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:18:53 -0500, WCH wrote:

    > I'm stumped.

    Hmmm. Now that you've got Blinky's special award ...

    Seriously though.

    I've seen a similar problem just once (I'm not very much into laptops)-
    it boiled down to replacing the keyboard. Maybe, just maybe, you've
    found the reason why it was sold on eBay.

    Sounds to me like you'll need to fork out some serious money for your
    Sony. Hope I'm wrong though.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Jan 12, 2005
  8. WCH

    Mike Easter Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > I have
    > absolutely no idea what to do to address this issue.
    > Any ideas?

    I wonder what would happen if you remapped your keyboard, so that a
    shift key plus the P key caused a capital P to result.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 12, 2005
  9. WCH

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    | On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:18:53 -0500, WCH wrote:
    |
    | > I'm stumped.
    |
    | Hmmm. Now that you've got Blinky's special award ...
    |
    | Seriously though.
    |
    | I've seen a similar problem just once (I'm not very much into laptops)-
    | it boiled down to replacing the keyboard. Maybe, just maybe, you've
    | found the reason why it was sold on eBay.
    |
    | Sounds to me like you'll need to fork out some serious money for your
    | Sony. Hope I'm wrong though.

    keyboards with units purchased on eBay, no problemo...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 13, 2005
  10. WCH

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    | WCH wrote:
    | > I have
    | > absolutely no idea what to do to address this issue.
    | > Any ideas?
    |
    | I wonder what would happen if you remapped your keyboard, so that a
    | shift key plus the P key caused a capital P to result.

    Do you have any suggestions for key mapping software? I've not done that
    myself...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 13, 2005
  11. WCH

    10_4 Guest

    Have you looked into Auto Correct? Just maybe someone set this up not to
    make a capital P. Then again you said cap lock did so maybe not! Just a
    thought!

    Good luck!

    10_4, Jan 13, 2005
  12. WCH

    WCH Guest

    10_4 wrote:
    > Have you looked into Auto Correct? Just maybe someone set this up not to
    > make a capital P. Then again you said cap lock did so maybe not! Just a
    > thought!
    >
    > Good luck!

    If by "Auto Correct" you mean something programmed into word processing
    programs, the problem extends even to renaming files in Windows
    Explorer, which doesn't use any kind of word processing. If you mean
    something else by Auto Correct, though, tell me more and I'll explore it.
    WC

    WCH, Jan 13, 2005
  13. On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:18:53 -0500, WCH <>
    wrote:

    >I'm stumped. Bought a Sony Picturebook PCG-C1MVP on eBay a month ago.
    >Transmeta Crusoe 766 chip, 256MB ram, Windows XP Pro clean install fully
    >patched and updated. Virus protected, spyware scanned. Everything
    >works great except that the machine WILL NOT TYPE A CAPITAL "P"! How is
    >this possible? Skip the pee jokes, if you can resist. Will type every
    >single lower case letter including "p", so it isn't the key on the
    >keyboard. Will type every single upper case letter except "P" and all
    >numbers and symbols. AND -- if you press Caps Lock, it WILL type an
    >upper case "P"! So all it won't do is type a capital "P" when you hold
    >down the Shift key and press "p". And it happens in every font.
    >Happens in Word, in OpenOffice, even if I'm just trying to rename files
    >in Windows Explorer. I have absolutely no idea what to do to address
    >this issue.

    Does the keyboard have left AND right shift keys? If so is it the same
    with both?

    You can get a free keyboard remapper called "Keytweak" from:-

    http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

    then you could try clicking the "Restore all defaults" button.

    If that doesn't work then try remapping a key such as F12 to be "P"
    then see if Shift-F12 will give you an upper case "P" - that will give
    us all abit more to work on.

    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!

    Aussie Bomber, Jan 13, 2005
  14. WCH

    Mike Easter Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> I wonder what would happen if you remapped your keyboard, so that a
    >> shift key plus the P key caused a capital P to result.

    > Do you have any suggestions for key mapping software? I've not done
    > that myself...

    I don't have any personal experience; I only know what I read about it.
    XP would be easier/better to work with than earliers. People write
    articles about keyboard remapping 'by hand' with the registry, and with
    software for it.

    Here are some articles

    Remapping Windows Xp Keyboard Scancodes
    http://goatpunch.com:8080/interflow?Remapping Windows Xp Keyboard Scancodes
    Keyboard Remapping: Part II
    http://www.randyrants.com/2004/01/keyboard_remapp_1.html
    Remap Your Keyboard http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1561005,00.asp
    Scan Code Mapper for Windows
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/w2kscan-map.mspx

    The pcmag article is all about tradekeys "TradeKeys 2 lets you map your
    keyboard almost any way you want. Under Windows 95, 98, and Me, you can
    change, swap, or disable any of the standard keys (those that existed on
    the original 84-key keyboard layout). Under Windows 2000 and XP, you can
    also remap extended keys such as Right Ctrl and Right Alt, the Windows
    logo key, and the navigation cluster. You can save your mappings to a
    file for reloading later. This lets different users on a system switch
    quickly between different mappings."

    So, it seems to me that if his current keymapping or scancode result is
    'wrong' he could remap it and make it right.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 13, 2005
  15. WCH

    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> I wonder what would happen if you remapped your keyboard, so that a
    >>> shift key plus the P key caused a capital P to result.

    >> Do you have any suggestions for key mapping software? I've not done
    >> that myself...

    > I don't have any personal experience; I only know what I read about it.
    > XP would be easier/better to work with than earliers. People write
    > articles about keyboard remapping 'by hand' with the registry, and with
    > software for it.
    >
    > Here are some articles
    >
    > Remapping Windows Xp Keyboard Scancodes
    > http://goatpunch.com:8080/interflow?Remapping Windows Xp Keyboard Scancodes
    > Keyboard Remapping: Part II
    > http://www.randyrants.com/2004/01/keyboard_remapp_1.html
    > Remap Your Keyboard http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1561005,00.asp
    > Scan Code Mapper for Windows
    > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/w2kscan-map.mspx
    >
    > The pcmag article is all about tradekeys "TradeKeys 2 lets you map your
    > keyboard almost any way you want. Under Windows 95, 98, and Me, you can
    > change, swap, or disable any of the standard keys (those that existed on
    > the original 84-key keyboard layout). Under Windows 2000 and XP, you can
    > also remap extended keys such as Right Ctrl and Right Alt, the Windows
    > logo key, and the navigation cluster. You can save your mappings to a
    > file for reloading later. This lets different users on a system switch
    > quickly between different mappings."
    >
    > So, it seems to me that if his current keymapping or scancode result is
    > 'wrong' he could remap it and make it right.

    Thanks! I have a guy here at work that keeps bumping his F1 key when he hits
    F2, and wants to turn it 'off' so the MS help screens stop popping up on him
    <g>.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 13, 2005
  16. On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:02:12 +1100, Aussie Bomber
    <> wrote:

    (stuff snipped)

    I had the exact reverse happen once: somehow, the lower case "p" had
    become assigned to a shortcut to bring up the exPlorer window, so
    every time I tyPed it, I had to use the capital (like I've done here).

    Check and see if Shift+P has been assigned as a shortcut to anything.

    You might also boot the thing into another OS if you can (get a boot
    disk on a CD) and see if it does the same thing under, e,g, Linux.
    This could at least tell you if it's a hardware or software problem.

    --
    Shalom

    Shalom Septimus, Jan 14, 2005
  17. Shalom Septimus wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:02:12 +1100, Aussie Bomber
    ><> wrote:

    > (stuff snipped)

    > I had the exact reverse happen once: somehow, the lower case "p" had
    > become assigned to a shortcut to bring up the exPlorer window, so
    > every time I tyPed it, I had to use the capital (like I've done here).

    > Check and see if Shift+P has been assigned as a shortcut to anything.

    Good catch. I've been scratching my head on this one, and missed the
    obvious. Not a sure bet, but I'd say it's fairly likely.

    > You might also boot the thing into another OS if you can (get a boot
    > disk on a CD) and see if it does the same thing under, e,g, Linux.
    > This could at least tell you if it's a hardware or software problem.

    Sounds like a job for Knoppix. OP: Google it.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Upgrading From IE http://blinkynet.net/comp/upgrade.html
    Mozilla Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 14, 2005
  18. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Shalom Septimus wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:02:12 +1100, Aussie Bomber
    >><> wrote:

    >>(stuff snipped)

    >>I had the exact reverse happen once: somehow, the lower case "p" had
    >>become assigned to a shortcut to bring up the exPlorer window, so
    >>every time I tyPed it, I had to use the capital (like I've done here).

    >>Check and see if Shift+P has been assigned as a shortcut to anything.

    > Good catch. I've been scratching my head on this one, and missed the
    > obvious. Not a sure bet, but I'd say it's fairly likely.
    >

    >>You might also boot the thing into another OS if you can (get a boot
    >>disk on a CD) and see if it does the same thing under, e,g, Linux.
    >>This could at least tell you if it's a hardware or software problem.

    > Sounds like a job for Knoppix. OP: Google it.

    Upon further examination (I'm the original poster with the problem),
    turns out that when I use the Shift key on the RIGHT side, it WILL print
    a "P". But the Shift key on the left side will not (so far as I can
    tell, it doesn't do anything, at least it doesn't print anything, as the
    cursor doesn't move). I'm not sure how to tell if a shortcut has been
    assigned to this keystroke combination. Does the fact that the right
    Shift key produces the "P" rule out the Shift+P shortcut, or not?
    Thanks for all the feedback, BTW. I'm pursuing every credible suggestion.
    WC

    WCH, Jan 14, 2005