    The drive came with all sorts of software bundled with it, none of which I
    want, so I have deleted some of the software to make space for my jpegs.
    Is this likely to have been the cause of my problem?

    podger, Dec 18, 2007

  2. podger

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-12-18, podger <> wrote:
    > I have a Seagate drive that I use with my two laptops, both running XP.
    > Recently I found that if I change any data on the drive then I cannot turn
    > it of via the keyboard on the laptops, I have to switch the laptop of then
    > remove the drive. Attemptin to disconnect the drive via the USB gadget icon
    > simply comes up with a message saying that the device cannot be turned off
    > as a program is still using it. I have no idea what program might be using
    > it.
    >
    > The drive came with all sorts of software bundled with it, none of which I
    > want, so I have deleted some of the software to make space for my jpegs.
    > Is this likely to have been the cause of my problem?

    Your computer may well be continuing to copy data to or from the external
    drive, or 'verifying' the copies, even if your other progams seem to
    indicate that the copying is complete; have you got an 'icon' anywhere to
    'disconnect' or 'unmount' the external drive? Clicking on that should
    eventually give you a message on screen to say 'the device can now be
    safely removed' or some such thing.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 18, 2007

  3. podger

    podger Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote > Your computer may well be
    continuing to copy data to or from the external
    > drive, or 'verifying' the copies, even if your other progams seem to
    > indicate that the copying is complete; have you got an 'icon' anywhere to
    > 'disconnect' or 'unmount' the external drive? Clicking on that should
    > eventually give you a message on screen to say 'the device can now be
    > safely removed' or some such thing.

    The icon is there but clicking on it brings up the message about a
    program still using the drive. Is it possible that I might have to wait
    several minutes instead of the one minute that I currently wait before
    deciding to switch of the computer? I don't have the drive with me right
    now so I cannot test this out.

    podger, Dec 18, 2007
  4. podger

    Leroy Guest

    podger wrote:
    > I have a Seagate drive that I use with my two laptops, both running
    > XP. Recently I found that if I change any data on the drive then I
    > cannot turn it of via the keyboard on the laptops, I have to switch
    > the laptop of then remove the drive.

    IIRC that the default XP install, has prog(s?) that access the drives
    in the background. Pose the question to a Seagate forum?

    Leroy, Dec 18, 2007
  5. podger

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-12-18, podger <> wrote:
    > "Whiskers" <> wrote > Your computer may well be
    > continuing to copy data to or from the external
    >> drive, or 'verifying' the copies, even if your other progams seem to
    >> indicate that the copying is complete; have you got an 'icon' anywhere to
    >> 'disconnect' or 'unmount' the external drive? Clicking on that should
    >> eventually give you a message on screen to say 'the device can now be
    >> safely removed' or some such thing.
    >>

    > The icon is there but clicking on it brings up the message about a
    > program still using the drive. Is it possible that I might have to wait
    > several minutes instead of the one minute that I currently wait before
    > deciding to switch of the computer? I don't have the drive with me right
    > now so I cannot test this out.

    Unless the connection is rather slow, you probably won't have to want for
    'several minutes' for data to be copied completely - but if you have your
    system set up to 'verify' all the copies thoroughly I've heard that some
    versions of Windows can take a very long time to do that.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 18, 2007
  6. podger

    Guest

    "podger" <> wrote:

    >I have a Seagate drive that I use with my two laptops, both running XP.
    >Recently I found that if I change any data on the drive then I cannot turn
    >it of via the keyboard on the laptops, I have to switch the laptop of then
    >remove the drive. Attemptin to disconnect the drive via the USB gadget icon
    >simply comes up with a message saying that the device cannot be turned off
    >as a program is still using it. I have no idea what program might be using
    >it.
    >
    >The drive came with all sorts of software bundled with it, none of which I
    >want, so I have deleted some of the software to make space for my jpegs.
    >Is this likely to have been the cause of my problem?

    Worth a try:

    In Windows Explorer right click on any drive, properties, Hardware,
    double click on the drive in question, Policies.

    Select "optimize for quick removal"

    --

    Misadventures in advertising
    http://tinyurl.com/2z52d5