    help trying to find out which service needs to be re-enabled greatly
    appreciated.

    P.S. I do have 'fast user switching' enabled, but I still have the problem.
    zvnteq7, Jan 20, 2009

  2. zvnteq7

    Guest

    http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
    --

    The Prez
    http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/57291/original.jpg

  3. zvnteq7

    VanguardLH Guest

    zvnteq7 wrote:

    > Hi, me and my roommate both have accounts set up on XP Home Sp3.
    > Recently I followed a techies guide to disabling windows services that
    > are unnecessary and slow down the computer speed. Well one of the
    > services is making it unable for me to switch users, I want me to still
    > be logged on and then him to log into his account at the same time, so
    > my downloads can still be going and he can do whatever he needs to. Any
    > help trying to find out which service needs to be re-enabled greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > P.S. I do have 'fast user switching' enabled, but I still have the problem.

    So is the Fast User Switching *service* also set for Manual startup and
    is currently started (running)?

    So just what was that list of changes YOU made on someone else's advice?
    VanguardLH, Jan 20, 2009
  4. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > zvnteq7 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, me and my roommate both have accounts set up on XP Home Sp3.
    >> Recently I followed a techies guide to disabling windows services that
    >> are unnecessary and slow down the computer speed. Well one of the
    >> services is making it unable for me to switch users, I want me to still
    >> be logged on and then him to log into his account at the same time, so
    >> my downloads can still be going and he can do whatever he needs to. Any
    >> help trying to find out which service needs to be re-enabled greatly
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> P.S. I do have 'fast user switching' enabled, but I still have the problem.

    > So is the Fast User Switching *service* also set for Manual startup and
    > is currently started (running)?
    >
    > So just what was that list of changes YOU made on someone else's advice?

    the list from this website:
    http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/04/12/slow_computer_speed_up_your.htm
    zvnteq7, Jan 20, 2009
  5. Fast User Switching

    The Real Truth MVP, Jan 20, 2009
  6. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    The Real Truth MVP wrote:
    > Fast User Switching

    I tried setting it to manual and automatic and neither solved the problem.
    zvnteq7, Jan 20, 2009
  7. Once enabled again you also have to enable the Welcome screen option.
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
    Click Change the way users log on or off.
    Click to select the Use the Welcome screen check box.
    Click to select the Use Fast User Switching check box.
    Click Apply.

    The Real Truth MVP, Jan 20, 2009
  8. zvnteq7

    VanguardLH Guest

    zvnteq7 wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> zvnteq7 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, me and my roommate both have accounts set up on XP Home Sp3.
    >>> Recently I followed a techies guide to disabling windows services that
    >>> are unnecessary and slow down the computer speed. Well one of the
    >>> services is making it unable for me to switch users, I want me to still
    >>> be logged on and then him to log into his account at the same time, so
    >>> my downloads can still be going and he can do whatever he needs to. Any
    >>> help trying to find out which service needs to be re-enabled greatly
    >>> appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> P.S. I do have 'fast user switching' enabled, but I still have the problem.

    >> So is the Fast User Switching *service* also set for Manual startup and
    >> is currently started (running)?
    >>
    >> So just what was that list of changes YOU made on someone else's advice?

    > the list from this website:
    > http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/04/12/slow_computer_speed_up_your.htm

    Well, Fast User Switching is definitely NOT going to boost performance.
    Processes you load in one account are going to continue eating memory
    when you fast switch to the other account. Do you and your roommate
    switch who is using the computer at really high rates (i.e., very short
    intervals)? If not, why not just logoff and the logon to the other
    account?

    That site only lists tips on improving performance. It doesn't state
    how to perform the actions necessary to accomplish the tips. So only
    you know what you did to disable services. The Fast User Switching is
    disabled with a simple config setup regarding how users login in the
    User Accounts applet. What happens if you reverse your actions for each
    tip to get back to how your host was configured originally?

    Do you have a system restore point from before when you started tweaking
    with the OS?
    VanguardLH, Jan 20, 2009
  9. "zvnteq7" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, me and my roommate both have accounts set up on XP Home Sp3. Recently
    > I followed a techies guide to disabling windows services that are
    > unnecessary and slow down the computer speed. Well one of the services is
    > making it unable for me to switch users, I want me to still be logged on
    > and then him to log into his account at the same time, so my downloads can
    > still be going and he can do whatever he needs to. Any help trying to find
    > out which service needs to be re-enabled greatly appreciated.
    >
    > P.S. I do have 'fast user switching' enabled, but I still have the
    > problem.

    Fast User Switching is dependant on Terminal Services, have you checked THAT
    service?
    J¡m ßéâñ, Jan 20, 2009
  10. zvnteq7

    Guest

    zvnteq7 wrote:
    > Hi, me and my roommate both have accounts set up on XP Home Sp3.
    > Recently I followed a techies guide to disabling windows services that
    > are unnecessary and slow down the computer speed. Well one of the
    > services is making it unable for me to switch users, I want me to still
    > be logged on and then him to log into his account at the same time, so
    > my downloads can still be going and he can do whatever he needs to. Any
    > help trying to find out which service needs to be re-enabled greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > P.S. I do have 'fast user switching' enabled, but I still have the problem.

    Hi, unless the computer is actually slow I wouldn't change much, I've
    found more often than not the 'tweaking' ends
    up in being an eventual reinstall. Some stuff is just now needed for
    the average user but down-the-line tweaking is often asking for stuff
    to not work.
    , Jan 20, 2009
  11. zvnteq7

    woody Guest

    Go here:

    Return all services to their default settings.

    Woody

    woody, Jan 20, 2009
  12. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    The Real Truth MVP wrote:
    > Once enabled again you also have to enable the Welcome screen option.
    > Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
    > Click Change the way users log on or off.
    > Click to select the Use the Welcome screen check box.
    > Click to select the Use Fast User Switching check box.
    > Click Apply.

    That didn't work either, I hit apply and then go back and the box is
    still unchecked. :/
    zvnteq7, Jan 20, 2009
  13. zvnteq7

    zvnteq7 Guest

    J¡m ßéâñ wrote:
    > "zvnteq7" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, me and my roommate both have accounts set up on XP Home Sp3. Recently
    >> I followed a techies guide to disabling windows services that are
    >> unnecessary and slow down the computer speed. Well one of the services is
    >> making it unable for me to switch users, I want me to still be logged on
    >> and then him to log into his account at the same time, so my downloads can
    >> still be going and he can do whatever he needs to. Any help trying to find
    >> out which service needs to be re-enabled greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> P.S. I do have 'fast user switching' enabled, but I still have the
    >> problem.

    > Fast User Switching is dependant on Terminal Services, have you checked THAT
    > service?

    THAT did the trick, THANK YOU :)
    zvnteq7, Jan 20, 2009