    Any thoughts????

    Regards
    Tom

    Tom Harris, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Tom Harris

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:04:02 -0700, Tom Harris wrote:

    >A machine that has been networked forever now can not start the workstation
    >service! I did install an upgrade to MS Great Plains but I was still able
    >to network after that (re boot and all).
    >
    >I have tried a repair installation of XP Pro but can not start for a domain
    >or a workgroup.......
    >
    >Any thoughts????

    Any error code/message?

    Any events ID/error code in the event log?

    Trying as Administrator?

    Me

    why?, Sep 26, 2003

  3. Tom Harris

    Tom Harris Guest

    Yes, logging in as administrator. Under system events I get an event ID
    7023 with the source as Service Control Manager. The error message reads"
    Workstation service terminated with the following error: The system can not
    find the file specified."

    If I try to start the service (either from "services" or from a cmd prompt),
    I get "System error 2 has occurred. System can not find the file
    specified".

    My understanding is that it is looking for SVCHOST.EXE and that file is in
    C:\windows\system32.

    I can ping localhost and any of the other machines on the network, just can
    not connect....

    Thanks for your help, Im going nuts.....

    Tom

    Tom Harris, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Tom Harris

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:45:30 -0700, Tom Harris wrote:

    >Yes, logging in as administrator. Under system events I get an event ID
    >7023 with the source as Service Control Manager. The error message reads"
    >Workstation service terminated with the following error: The system can not
    >find the file specified."

    Did you have SP1/1a before the repair? Did you reinstall the SP?

    ID 7023 has 2 matches for XP,

    You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP
    PSS ID Number: 329441

    Removing a Program May Generate Event ID 7023
    PSS ID Number: 328213

    77 hits otherwise.

    >If I try to start the service (either from "services" or from a cmd prompt),
    >I get "System error 2 has occurred. System can not find the file
    >specified".

    5 hits for 'error 2'

    Best match is NT3.1 however,
    Err Msg: System Error 2: File Not Found
    PSS ID Number: 89988

    >My understanding is that it is looking for SVCHOST.EXE and that file is in
    >C:\windows\system32.

    This came from where?

    why?, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Tom Harris

    Adelphia Guest

    Installed sp1 didn't help. Updated all from windows update, didn't help...

    Still trying

    Adelphia, Sep 27, 2003