Can't shutdown without Ending unnamed process

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bryan McCaul, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Bryan McCaul

    Bryan McCaul Guest

    I have a nagging problem with my Win98 PC. When I shut down, I have to wait
    about 30 seconds before the Windows popup stating "A process is not
    responding..." appears. I select End Task and shutdown completes. Usually
    that Windows popup would name a process that isn't responding, but this
    process is unnamed (i.e., title bar is blank).

    One clue is that this won't occur if I never open IE; i.e., it only occurs
    if I have opened at least one IE window, even if I close that window before
    I start the shutdown process. I don't see any "wierd" processes running
    using task manager, but here's the list of processes/programs that are
    currently running: Explorer, ccapp, gwhotkey, HotSync, qttask, Q, starter,
    Nprotect, Rundll32, systray, Lexpps, gbpoll.

    I'm up to date on Win98 updates.

    Any ideas on what may be causing this?

    Bryan

    Bryan McCaul, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Bryan McCaul

    Smoker Guest

    "Bryan McCaul" <> wrote in message
    > I have a nagging problem with my Win98 PC. When I shut down, I have to

    wait
    > about 30 seconds before the Windows popup stating "A process is not
    > responding..." appears. I select End Task and shutdown completes.

    Usually
    > that Windows popup would name a process that isn't responding, but this
    > process is unnamed (i.e., title bar is blank).
    >
    > One clue is that this won't occur if I never open IE; i.e., it only occurs
    > if I have opened at least one IE window, even if I close that window

    before
    > I start the shutdown process. I don't see any "wierd" processes running
    > using task manager, but here's the list of processes/programs that are
    > currently running: Explorer, ccapp, gwhotkey, HotSync, qttask, Q, starter,
    > Nprotect, Rundll32, systray, Lexpps, gbpoll.
    >
    > I'm up to date on Win98 updates.
    >
    > Any ideas on what may be causing this?

    IE tends to hang and sometimes there are 2 of them running at the same time,
    but you can't see the 2nd one. A good app to have is called ProcessExplorer
    which lets you kill anything running and shows you a lot more than Window's
    ctrl-alt-del screen. It can kill a frozen program so you don't have to
    reboot.

    Another free app that's handy to have is called Shutz. Click it and it will
    shut windows down and off or optionally reboot in a second or two. I use
    Win98 and both of these apps work great.

    Smoker, Sep 20, 2004

  3. Bryan McCaul

    Bryan McCaul Guest

    Just installed Shutz, and I still have the non-responsive, unnamed process.
    I'll download ProcessExplorer next...

    Bryan McCaul, Sep 20, 2004
  4. Bryan McCaul

    Mike Walker Guest

    Insted of just 'Shut Down' click on " Logg Off UserName "

    Then at user name and password screen press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select 'Shut Down'
    it will now shutdown like butter off a hot knife.

    You might find that the patch at:-
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239887
    might also work.

    Hope It Helps