    Altho I type the same workgroup i.e. MSHOME, I'm unable to see any of my
    shared folders/printer on desktop..please help. Going nuts here. Thanks in
    advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 11, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 01:26:01 -0700, Chris <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry folks, I know this may be elementary...3 days ago, I was able to share
    >my desktop printer w/ my laptop. Basic setup..desktop to linksys router,
    >notebook w/ wireless connection to router. I can ping desktop/laptop no
    >problem. I just can't seem to see my 'shared' folders or printer on desktop.
    >I have no clue. I 've tried to re-create a network connection w/ laptop.
    >Altho I type the same workgroup i.e. MSHOME, I'm unable to see any of my
    >shared folders/printer on desktop..please help. Going nuts here. Thanks in
    >advance.

    Chris,

    If you can ping, you don't have connectivity issues. That's good.

    The most common problem here is a NetBT setting / personal firewall mismatch.
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html

    And check restrictanonymous, which can have this effect too.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html

    If no help yet, look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from
    each computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked
    articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

    Chuck, Jun 11, 2007

  3. Chuck, Many thanx for your response. You triggered a thought when you
    mentioned check IPCONFIG /ALL... I remembered doing that on the host
    computer, but not the laptop. After running it on the laptop, I saw my
    NETBIOS was disabled. I found a WINSOCKXPFIX.EXE file (that i had hiding on
    my thumbdrive for some dang reason) either way, I ran it on the laptop and
    that enabled netbios. FILE and PRINTER sharing now work. Thanks for your
    assistance.

    Side note - I believe a ran a FREE REGISTRY REPAIR program on my laptop...I
    believe that started my problem. Cheers.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 12, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

    Chuck Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:13:00 -0700, Chris <>
    wrote:

    >"Chuck" wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 01:26:01 -0700, Chris <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Sorry folks, I know this may be elementary...3 days ago, I was able to share
    >> >my desktop printer w/ my laptop. Basic setup..desktop to linksys router,
    >> >notebook w/ wireless connection to router. I can ping desktop/laptop no
    >> >problem. I just can't seem to see my 'shared' folders or printer on desktop.
    >> >I have no clue. I 've tried to re-create a network connection w/ laptop.
    >> >Altho I type the same workgroup i.e. MSHOME, I'm unable to see any of my
    >> >shared folders/printer on desktop..please help. Going nuts here. Thanks in
    >> >advance.

    >> Chris,
    >>
    >> If you can ping, you don't have connectivity issues. That's good.
    >>
    >> The most common problem here is a NetBT setting / personal firewall mismatch.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html
    >>
    >> And check restrictanonymous, which can have this effect too.
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html
    >>
    >> If no help yet, look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from
    >> each computer, and diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked
    >> articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
    >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp

    >Chuck, Many thanx for your response. You triggered a thought when you
    >mentioned check IPCONFIG /ALL... I remembered doing that on the host
    >computer, but not the laptop. After running it on the laptop, I saw my
    >NETBIOS was disabled. I found a WINSOCKXPFIX.EXE file (that i had hiding on
    >my thumbdrive for some dang reason) either way, I ran it on the laptop and
    >that enabled netbios. FILE and PRINTER sharing now work. Thanks for your
    >assistance.
    >
    >Side note - I believe a ran a FREE REGISTRY REPAIR program on my laptop...I
    >believe that started my problem. Cheers.

    Thanks for the feedback, Chris. Free Registry Repair programs are a great way
    to get borked. Some free software isn't that way in the long run either.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/12/download-software-selectively.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/12/download-software-selectively.html

    Fortunately, WinsockXPFix is a reliable free utility. I'm glad that you got to
    the solution.

    Chuck, Jun 12, 2007