Can't share printer as used to

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by =?Utf-8?B?RHIgUGhsZWdt?=, Sep 22, 2006.

  1. Hardware:
    Computer1 with Win2000 and wired to Lynksys wired router
    Printer1 (laser) attached to computer1 via USB
    Computer2 with Win XP SP2 and wireless to a Lynksys wireless router
    Computer3 with Win XP SP2 and wired to Lynksys wired router
    Router1 Lynksys wired linked to wireless router on switch1 for both routers
    Router2 Lynksys wireless receiving cable modem via RJ45

    Problem:
    I can’t access printer1 (network shared) using computer3. The only way to
    have access is by first going to “view workgroup computers†then clicking on
    the computer1 that has the printer wired via USB and then filling the pop up
    screen on (computer3) about user and password to access computer1.

    In the past, using computer2, I was able to use shared printer1 with out
    having to fill user ID and password but computer2 died so I bought computer3
    and later, I revived computer2 (new hard drive and new Windows installation)

    Now, neither computer2 nor computer3 will gain access to printer1 unless an
    ID and password is set. I don’t want to give IDs and passwords to the girls
    using computer2 and computer3… they are blond… if you know what I mean (joke)

    I DO see all computers by clicking on “view networked computers†either on
    computer1, computer2 or on computer3.

    --
    Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?RHIgUGhsZWdt?=, Sep 22, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RHIgUGhsZWdt?=

    Guest

    Please check the permissions on the shared printer from computer1. To
    do this right click on the printer and choose properties and select the
    security tab.

    Does the everyone group have at least the "print" permission?

    , Sep 22, 2006

  3. Thank you for your reply!

    Yes... there is permission.

    Today, computer3 was able to see and print on printer1. No changes were
    made... I just did a trial and it worked OK all day. On the other hand,
    computer2 still does not sees printer1 and, again, I am able to use printer1
    from computer2 if first I go to my network places then click on computer1 and
    then input user ID and password
    --
    Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?RHIgUGhsZWdt?=, Sep 22, 2006
  4. Sept. 23, 2006

    If you need more help on this problem... you'd probably get a better
    response in one of the other MSFT newsgroups... such as the
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax newsgroup.

    --

    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

    Blog/Web Site: http://CactiDevelopers.ResDev.Net/

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Sep 24, 2006
  5. Joseph,
    I will try that... but I will continune to monitor this thread in case some
    one else can share some more help
    --
    Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?RHIgUGhsZWdt?=, Sep 24, 2006