    In any case I am definitely in the Workgroup. I can verify this by right
    clicking My Computer and checking Properties and Computer Name.

    Please help.
    Jim Slager, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Jim Slager

    Jim Slager Guest

    I should have mentioned that I can ping the desktop from the notebook but
    not the other way around.

    Jim Slager, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Can you go one way and not the other? If so, which way does it not work?

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Dec 5, 2004
  4. Jim Slager

    Jim Slager Guest

    I cannot see files in either direction. Here is the story:

    On my win2000 desktop I can open My Network Places and go all the way down
    to my workgroup and see my desktop's files but can't see the notebook at
    all. I can't ping the notebook either.

    On my XP Pro SP2 notebook I open My Network Places but cannot open my
    workgroup. I can ping the desktop.

    Jim Slager, Dec 5, 2004
  5. Jim Slager

    Jim Slager Guest

    Interestingly, if I double click on the wireless icon in the system tray, I
    get a window saying choose a wireless network and when I select my own
    network it says that it is Not Connected even though I do have internet
    access. It says this is a "Security-enabled wireless network. This network
    requires a network key. You are currently connected to this network. To
    disconnect from this network, click Disconnect below." This is very
    confusing since it tells me that it is connected and that it is not
    connected.

    Jim Slager, Dec 5, 2004
  6. On the machine that you cannot ping, what firewall is installed?

    Carey Holzman, Dec 5, 2004
  7. Jim Slager

    Jim Slager Guest

    Good thought, Carey. I have Zone Alarm Pro on both of them. When I turn
    off ZA on the notebook then I can see files both ways. The problem was that
    I did not have my a network defined for my IP range in the Firewall part of
    ZA. Hopefully everything will still work after I reboot both computers.

    Thanks for your help, Carey.

    Jim Slager, Dec 5, 2004
  8. You're welcome! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

    Carey Holzman, Dec 5, 2004