Can't share files or printer

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by tad1073, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. tad1073

    tad1073 Guest

    On my xp machine, when I mark a folder as shared it does not show up in "M
    yNetwork Places" attached is my original post. Come on people, give me a hand.
    --
    | Compaq Proliant ML 330 G2 | 733MHz Intel Pentium 3 | Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy
    Gibbon | ATI Rage XL
    | Netgear WPN311 Range Max Wireless Destop Wifi Card | NIC Fast Ethernet
    Card |
    tad1073, Feb 7, 2008

  2. Do this command: net share. Post back with the result.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Feb 7, 2008

  3. Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 7, 2008
  4. tad1073

    tad1073 Guest

    I've managed to get files shared from xp to ubuntu. Now for my next problem.
    I can't access the network printer which is connected to the xp machine. I
    don't know if my cupsys or smb configuration files are set-up correctly for
    printing to a network printer or maybe it is the gutenprint drivers, I just
    don't know.

    Here is the out-put of net share.

    print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
    Printer Drivers
    IPC$ Remote IPC
    FancyFelineR C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\Fancy Feline Rescue of
    he South
    Fancy Feline Rescue of the South
    MyPictures C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\My Documents\My Pictures
    Mom's Pictures
    SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

    Tad C:\Documents and Settings\Tad
    CanonMP780FA USB002 Spooled Canon MP780 FAX
    CanonMP780Se USB001 Spooled Canon MP780 Series Printer
    CAPTUREFAXBV Spooled CAPTURE FAX BVRP share created by
    Printer LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
    Printer3 LPT1: Spooled HP DeskJet 550C

    tad1073, Feb 9, 2008
  5. We had a case like this one. Make sure the share name is not too long. This
    post may help. Please post back with the result.

    need help for network printinghave a wired network 2 desktops to a router.
    desktop "a" running windows 98 with the printer connected desktop "b" RUN
    WINDOWS XP no printer. had set up ...
    www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=5197&sid=0151ee1d7c11f240c7aa9069d9b6b5b5

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Feb 9, 2008
  6. tad1073

    tad1073 Guest

    I have tried everthing but nothing seems to work. Also when I try to access
    to "View Workgroup Cpmputers" I get an error message stating:

    "Mshome is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network
    resource. Contack the administrator of this server to find out if you have
    access permissions.

    The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

    I get this message even when I have my ubuntu box turned on. I tried to ping
    ubuntu but the request timed out. any suggestions?

    tad1073, Feb 11, 2008
  7. tad1073

    tad1073 Guest

    I did "net view \\myipaddress" and it returned access denied. Somebody give
    me some good information.

    tad1073, Feb 15, 2008