    Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
    as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
    computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!

    ap2tek, Apr 27, 2005

  2. ap2tek

    Z Guest

    ap2tek wrote:
    > Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
    > as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
    > computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!

    .... smtp.bellsouth.net, not stmp...

    Z, Apr 27, 2005

  3. ap2tek

    Moz Champion Guest

    Z wrote:
    > ap2tek wrote:
    >
    >> Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
    >> as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
    >> computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!

    > ... smtp.bellsouth.net, not stmp...

    Are you sure its smtp.bellsouth.net?
    this implies its mail.bellsouth.net
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011391541033.aspx
    and this implies that as well
    http://www.thedomainworks.com/smtp_settings.php

    Talk to Bellsouth to see what they say it should be (looks like it
    should be mail.bellsouth.net to me)

    Moz Champion, Apr 27, 2005
  4. ap2tek

    Z Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    >>> Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
    >>> as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
    >>> computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!

    >> ... smtp.bellsouth.net, not stmp...

    > Are you sure its smtp.bellsouth.net?
    > this implies its mail.bellsouth.net
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011391541033.aspx
    > and this implies that as well
    > http://www.thedomainworks.com/smtp_settings.php
    >
    > Talk to Bellsouth to see what they say it should be (looks like it
    > should be mail.bellsouth.net to me)

    All I'm sure of is that it's not stmp.

    I suspect the poster mistyped it when he setup his acct after his
    computer went down.

    Z, Apr 27, 2005
  5. On 2005-04-27, Moz Champion <> wrote:
    > Z wrote:
    >> ap2tek wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
    >>> as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
    >>> computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!

    >> ... smtp.bellsouth.net, not stmp...

    > Are you sure its smtp.bellsouth.net?
    > this implies its mail.bellsouth.net
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011391541033.aspx
    > and this implies that as well
    > http://www.thedomainworks.com/smtp_settings.php
    >
    > Talk to Bellsouth to see what they say it should be (looks like it
    > should be mail.bellsouth.net to me)

    Easy enough to find out:

    [john@vector john]$ ping smtp.bellsouth.net
    ping: unknown host smtp.bellsouth.net
    [john@vector john]$ ping mail.bellsouth.net
    PING mail.bellsouth.net (205.152.59.16) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from mail00.mail.bellsouth.net (205.152.59.16): icmp_seq=1
    ttl=239 time=91.8 ms

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Apr 28, 2005
  6. ap2tek

    Moz Champion Guest

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2005-04-27, Moz Champion <> wrote:
    >
    >>Z wrote:

    >>>... smtp.bellsouth.net, not stmp...

    >>Are you sure its smtp.bellsouth.net?
    >>this implies its mail.bellsouth.net
    >>http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011391541033.aspx
    >>and this implies that as well
    >>http://www.thedomainworks.com/smtp_settings.php
    >>
    >>Talk to Bellsouth to see what they say it should be (looks like it
    >>should be mail.bellsouth.net to me)

    > Easy enough to find out:
    >
    > [john@vector john]$ ping smtp.bellsouth.net
    > ping: unknown host smtp.bellsouth.net
    > [john@vector john]$ ping mail.bellsouth.net
    > PING mail.bellsouth.net (205.152.59.16) 56(84) bytes of data.
    > 64 bytes from mail00.mail.bellsouth.net (205.152.59.16): icmp_seq=1
    > ttl=239 time=91.8 ms

    doesnt neccessary indicate its the correct outbound server tho.
    mail.bellsouth.net is the incoming as well, so should ping

    For example
    smtp.sympatico.ca returns unknown host (as it should)
    because the proper outbound is
    smtp1.sympatico.ca <g>

    Your test does prove that smtp.bellsouth.net is not the correct one tho,
    good idea

    The user should still contact Bellsouth to get the proper outbound server

    Moz Champion, Apr 28, 2005
  7. ap2tek

    ap2tek Guest

    Thanks to all. I mistyped in my post but not when setting up email. The
    problem was solved when I used "mail.bellsouth.net".
    Again thanks to all that helped me.

    ap2tek, Apr 28, 2005