    WIRELESS cannot see WIRELESS

    All computers do have internet access, and can access the routers settings by typing in the IP address of the router in IE.

    Any input would be much appreciated.
    Guest, Aug 8, 2006

  2. Hi
    Given your information the issue is Not Wire or Wireless it is a Sharing problem.
    Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is allowed to be shared.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).
    <> wrote in message news:...
    I have a D-Link DI-624+ Wireless XtremeG Router.

    For some odd reason, computers hooked up to the router via WIRED ETHERNET connection can use the network perfectly fine. For the computers that are connected WIRELESSLY, they cannot see each other, or any other computer on the network.

    So...
    WIRED can see WIRED
    WIRELESS cannot see WIRED
    WIRED cannot see WIRELESS

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 8, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?VyBVcGhpbGw=?=, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Sorry about the blank post!

    I have a similar problem to this that nothing has been able to resolve.

    I have 2 XP Pro SP2 machines and a Macintosh hard wired into a D-Link router
    with a wireless access point.

    If I run 50 feet of Ethernet cable down the stairs and hook up my laptop,
    the entire network works perfectly. All machines can see each other, use each
    other's shares, etc. No problems at all.

    HOWEVER - if I restart the laptop using a wireless PC card adapter, the
    laptop cannot see any machine on the network or use the shares. Ping by IP
    address works from the laptop to all the others. Ping by name works from the
    laptop to all the others. And the network contact is definitely being made,
    as the laptop has good internet access. From the wired machines, the laptop
    is occasionally visible, but not always.

    I have no third party software installed, and the Windows firewall is off on
    all machines, as the router has a hardware firewall.

    Thing is, this USED to work perfectly - it stopped working suddenly halfway
    through a wireless session for no apparent reason. If I restart everything,
    and wire the laptop back directly into the router, the network is perfect
    again.

    Any ideas? I have browsed the internet for weeks, tried all the diagnostics
    and tests, and have found no solution that works.

    Any help gratefully received.

    =?Utf-8?B?VyBVcGhpbGw=?=, Aug 9, 2006
  5. Guest

    MHPNW STAFF Guest

    Have you tryed running the network setup wizard , while connected with the
    wireless. ?

    MHPNW STAFF, Aug 9, 2006
  6. Many times. And I have done the dreaded "Format c:" and started again on 3
    occasions so far. No improvement.

    Wire the laptop - everything is fine. Unlimited access to shared drives,
    folders and printers in all directions.

    Wireless it, and although it can connect to the wireless access point and
    obtain internet access, it cannot access any shares or any servers on the
    network.

    When I first installed the wireless card, it could. It originally worked
    just as seamlessly over the wireless connection as it did over the cable. Now
    it can't/won't. The standard message about permissions and "The network path
    was not found" comes up every time I try to access any machine on the network.

    I have no idea why. I read an article about preventing wireless-connected
    machines from being master browser, which seemed logical, and have disabled
    that in Services on the laptop, thus forcing one of the hard-wired machines
    into that role.

    I have read many other things, some of which I have tried, others which
    seemed too risky - but nothing changes.

    The thing that really makes me cross is that it DID work, for weeks. I
    changed nothing to make it stop working.

    =?Utf-8?B?VyBVcGhpbGw=?=, Aug 9, 2006
  7. Guest

    Lem Guest

    W Uphill wrote:
    > Sorry about the blank post!
    >
    > I have a similar problem to this that nothing has been able to resolve.
    >
    > I have 2 XP Pro SP2 machines and a Macintosh hard wired into a D-Link router
    > with a wireless access point.
    >
    > If I run 50 feet of Ethernet cable down the stairs and hook up my laptop,
    > the entire network works perfectly. All machines can see each other, use each
    > other's shares, etc. No problems at all.
    >
    > HOWEVER - if I restart the laptop using a wireless PC card adapter, the
    > laptop cannot see any machine on the network or use the shares. Ping by IP
    > address works from the laptop to all the others. Ping by name works from the
    > laptop to all the others. And the network contact is definitely being made,
    > as the laptop has good internet access. From the wired machines, the laptop
    > is occasionally visible, but not always.
    >
    > I have no third party software installed, and the Windows firewall is off on
    > all machines, as the router has a hardware firewall.
    >
    > Thing is, this USED to work perfectly - it stopped working suddenly halfway
    > through a wireless session for no apparent reason. If I restart everything,
    > and wire the laptop back directly into the router, the network is perfect
    > again.
    >
    > Any ideas? I have browsed the internet for weeks, tried all the diagnostics
    > and tests, and have found no solution that works.
    >
    > Any help gratefully received.
    >
    > "W Uphill" wrote:
    >

    >> "" wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a D-Link DI-624+ Wireless XtremeG Router.
    >>>
    >>> For some odd reason, computers hooked up to the router via WIRED ETHERNET
    >>> connection can use the network perfectly fine. For the computers that are
    >>> connected WIRELESSLY, they cannot see each other, or any other computer on
    >>> the network.
    >>>
    >>> So...
    >>> WIRED can see WIRED
    >>> WIRELESS cannot see WIRED
    >>> WIRED cannot see WIRELESS
    >>> WIRELESS cannot see WIRELESS
    >>>
    >>> All computers do have internet access, and can access the routers settings
    >>> by typing in the IP address of the router in IE.
    >>>
    >>> Any input would be much appreciated.

    Despite your conviction otherwise, this really sounds like a firewall
    issue. Windows firewall, for example, is applied and configured
    separately for each network connection (see the Advanced tab on the WF
    dialog).
    If that doesn't help, try
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm and/or
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/russel_diagnostics.mspx
    Lem, Aug 9, 2006
  8. Thanks, Lem for your firewall suggestions, and the links. Been there, done
    that!

    To restate my problem:

    I have a 3 machine XP Pro SP2 and Macintosh wired network, plugged into a
    D-Link 604T router with a wireless access point. Perfect network
    functionality.

    I also have a separate XP Pro SP2 laptop.

    If I use 50 feet of Ethernet cable and plug the laptop directly into the
    router, the network still works perfectly, with all 4 machines seeing each
    other and using each other's shares. No problems at all.

    If I unplug the cable, and restart the system with the laptop using the
    wireless access point, I can no longer access the shares on the wired
    machines. The workgroup becomes unavailable, as do all the items in My
    Network Places - the error message states that I might not have the right
    permissions and that the network path was not found. I have internet access,
    but not access to any network shares.

    This is a recent situation - the laptop used to work perfectly via the
    wireless access point. But then, mid-session, I simply lost wireless
    connectivity to shares on the network. I have never got it back in spite of
    two clean starts with fresh installations of Windows and all the hardware.

    There are no firewalls - all are disabled for now, till I solve this
    problem, except the hardware firewall in the router.

    Computer Browser on the laptop is disabled, to force one of the always-on
    wired machines into that role.

    The nodetype on the laptop is set to 8

    Anti-malware software reports no problems. Neither Norton nor any other 3rd
    party firewall has ever been near any one of my machines.

    The router is the DHCP server, and assigns IP addresses dynamically in the
    range 192.168.1.2 - 254.

    Filesharing is on; Enable NetBios is on; TCP/IP is on and set to obtain IP
    addresses and everything else automatically. Settings for the wireless
    connection are identical to the settings for the wired connection.

    I have the latest firmware for the router, and can confirm that it is
    correctly allocating IP addresses to each computer by name, including the
    laptop. I have no WEP or WPA security set up at present, until this problem
    is solved.

    Everything works perfectly if the laptop is wired to the router. But NOT if
    it is using the WAP.

    What I CAN do on the laptop via the WAP:

    1. Access the internet
    2. Ping everyone from the laptop by IP address, but not by computer name.
    3. Type IP addresses - but not names - into the address bar in My Computer
    and gain access to shared folders through the "back door" as it were.

    What I can do on the other machines:

    1. Ping the laptop by IP address AND name
    2. Enter IP address OR name into an address bar and gain access to shares,
    but the laptop does not show up in View Workgroup Computers (the usual error
    message) nor in My Network Places.

    Thus, all basic network functionality is clearly present. What is going
    wrong is something to do with IP address/name resolution - BUT ONLY when the
    WAP is being used and not when the laptop is wired.

    This has me utterly baffled - specifically because it all works when wired,
    and USED to work when the laptop was using the WAP - but now it doesn't.

    I have scoured the internet for a solution and so far found nothing that
    helps.
    =?Utf-8?B?VyBVcGhpbGw=?=, Aug 10, 2006
  9. Guest

    MHPNW STAFF Guest

    You will also want to go into
    control panel / add remove programs /add remove windows componets, and check
    to see that you have installed under network options...
    peer to peer networking.

    just another thought

    dennis

    MHPNW STAFF, Aug 10, 2006