Can't see Shared Documents on network computer

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by JerryI, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. JerryI

    JerryI Guest

    I have a simple wireless network with two computers: \\LAPTOP and \\UPSTAIRS

    On \\UPSTAIRS I have tried to share Shared Documents and a couple of the
    directories below that one (Excel and Word And Text), and I have shared
    c:\Program Files\Turbotax, and e:\Backup with permission to change files on
    all of those directories.

    From the laptop computer, when I look at My Network Places, I can see
    everything that is shared on the laptop. I can also see the shared Turbotax
    directory. I cannot see the Shared Documents directory on the upstairs
    computer, nor the Backup directory or Excel or Word And Text.

    I have booted both computers several times, with no change in result.

    Please help me correct this situation.

    Thanks
    --
    JerryI

    JerryI, Feb 25, 2008

  2. JerryI

    Joan Archer Guest

    Have you checked your firewall to make sure that sharing is allowed. ?
    Joan

    Joan Archer, Feb 26, 2008

  3. JerryI

    John Guest

    JerryI wrote:
    > I have a simple wireless network with two computers: \\LAPTOP and \\UPSTAIRS
    >
    > On \\UPSTAIRS I have tried to share Shared Documents and a couple of the
    > directories below that one (Excel and Word And Text), and I have shared
    > c:\Program Files\Turbotax, and e:\Backup with permission to change files on
    > all of those directories.
    >
    > From the laptop computer, when I look at My Network Places, I can see
    > everything that is shared on the laptop. I can also see the shared Turbotax
    > directory. I cannot see the Shared Documents directory on the upstairs
    > computer, nor the Backup directory or Excel or Word And Text.
    >
    > I have booted both computers several times, with no change in result.
    >
    > Please help me correct this situation.
    >
    > Thanks

    Check this forum and see if it may help:

    http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/showthread.php?t=9005

    John, Feb 27, 2008
  4. JerryI

    JerryI Guest

    I have tried to obtain access to that forum, but it will not recognize my
    email address as user name; when I request forgotten password, it says that
    it doesn't recognize my email address as being registered. When I try to
    register, it says my email address is already registered. So I can't get to
    that forum. Any other places I might be able to get my question resolved?
    --
    JerryI

    JerryI, Mar 6, 2008
  5. JerryI

    John Guest

    JerryI wrote:
    > I have tried to obtain access to that forum, but it will not recognize my
    > email address as user name; when I request forgotten password, it says that
    > it doesn't recognize my email address as being registered. When I try to
    > register, it says my email address is already registered. So I can't get to
    > that forum. Any other places I might be able to get my question resolved?

    If you feel comfortable using regedit you may want to try this
    procedure. That is what worked for me.

    Using "regedit" navigate to:
    ..
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
    ..
    look for a DWORD "restrictanonymous" and see what the value is. If it is
    anything other than 0 (zero), right click the DWORD, select MODIFY and
    change the decimal value to 0 (zero).

    There evidently are 3 different values this item, it can be set to, 0, 1
    or 2. I feel comfortable with setting it to Zero. It had been set to 1.
    it was the client computer which I changed from 1 to zero. My host
    computer had already been set to zero and did not require a change to
    share files. I can now share files wirelessly and also share a printer
    physically connected to the host.

    John, Mar 24, 2008