    I am at a loss what to do next. What is my next step?

    TIA,
    JMP
    =?Utf-8?B?Sk1Q?=, Apr 28, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sk1Q?=

    Malke Guest

    JMP wrote:

    > I have three computers in a workgroup, all running XP SP2. The three
    > computers share files and our T-1 internet connection. We use a D-Link
    > Access Point with our Netopia router. Two of the computers have Belkin
    > USB wireless adapters, the third is an HP notebook with integral
    > wireless adapter.
    >
    > All that has been working fine: we can share files and a printer.
    >
    > We are trying to add a fourth computer to the workgroup--a brand new
    > HP Pavilion, also running XP SP2, and a Belkin USB wireless adapter.
    > We have run the networking wizard and assigned the workgroup name
    > ("pfs").
    >
    > That computer gets the internet connection just fine--but it is
    > invisible to the workgroup and can't see the other computers or the
    > printer.
    >
    > I am at a loss what to do next. What is my next step?
    >
    > TIA,
    > JMP

    It sounds like an improperly configured firewall. Service Pack 2
    automatically enables the Windows Firewall. If you are not running a
    third-party firewall, go to the Windows Firewall applet in Control
    Panel and enable File & Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you
    are using a third-party firewall (and have properly configured it to
    allow your lan traffic as Trusted), then turn the Windows Firewall off.
    You don't want two firewalls running, and a third-party program will be
    better than the WF. All firewalls must be properly configured to allow
    lan traffic as Trusted.

    Otherwise, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg
    Michna. Take the time to go through it carefully and it will pinpoint
    the problem areas:

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    And here is information on adding XP to an existing network:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Apr 28, 2005

  3. Thank you for such a quick response!

    I looked at the configuration of the firewall. It was set as you suggested.
    I followed the instructions in the two sites you suggested. I have also tried
    disabling the firewall entirely. At this point, the new computer is able to
    see the otehr computers in the workgroup, but is still unable to access any
    of the files or resources there.

    Those sharing functions work fine with the other computers--not with this one.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks again for your help!

    Joe Parsons

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lIFBhcnNvbnM=?=, Apr 29, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Sk1Q?=

    Malke Guest

    Joe Parsons wrote:

    > Thank you for such a quick response!
    >
    > I looked at the configuration of the firewall. It was set as you
    > suggested. I followed the instructions in the two sites you suggested.
    > I have also tried disabling the firewall entirely. At this point, the
    > new computer is able to see the otehr computers in the workgroup, but
    > is still unable to access any of the files or resources there.
    >
    > Those sharing functions work fine with the other computers--not with
    > this one.

    Now it sounds like a permission/authentication problem. You didn't
    mention whether these machines are all Pro or a mix of Home and Pro.
    The reason that's important is that Home only has Simple Sharing, which
    means that all users are authenticated across the network as Guest.
    With Pro, you can turn off Simple Sharing and disable Guest - better
    for security and necessary in a mixed operating system non-domain
    network. All XP machines' sharing have to match OR since you have such
    a small network the easiest way to get around this is to just make
    identical user accounts/passwords on all machines. You don't have to be
    logged in as the same user - let's say "Sally" is logged onto the
    machine being asked for resources. That machine sees that the request
    is coming from "Joe" and that "Joe" has an account on it (the local
    machine) so "Joe's" request is allowed.

    Here are some additional links if you need more help:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    (Pro)
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoot_index.htm

    Malke