    unique ip addresses, all in the same workgroup MSHOME. the desktops are wired
    and laptops are wireless. I am lost, I would at least like to use the shared
    printer

    dennis48187, Dec 18, 2008

  2. dennis48187

    smlunatick Guest

    On Dec 18, 4:05 pm, "A New Day" <> wrote:
    > "dennis48187" <> wrote in message

    > >I have four systems on my home network, two desktop, two laptop. all
    > >running
    > > xp home sp3, desktops and one laptop can do file and print sharing final
    > > laptop compaq presario can not. All systems can access internet, all have
    > > unique ip addresses, all in the same workgroup MSHOME. the desktops are
    > > wired
    > > and laptops are wireless.  I am lost, I would at least like to use the
    > > shared
    > > printer

    > one word, Firewall(s)

    Second word: anti-virus Internet worm blocking feature. Turns off
    'NetBIOS name resolution" protocol. To test, try to access another PC
    with it's IP address (\\192.168.0.1) instead if name (\\PC2)

    smlunatick, Dec 18, 2008

  3. dennis48187

    dennis48187 Guest

    I am able

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On Dec 18, 4:05 pm, "A New Day" <> wrote:
    > > "dennis48187" <> wrote in message

    > > >I have four systems on my home network, two desktop, two laptop. all
    > > >running
    > > > xp home sp3, desktops and one laptop can do file and print sharing final
    > > > laptop compaq presario can not. All systems can access internet, all have
    > > > unique ip addresses, all in the same workgroup MSHOME. the desktops are
    > > > wired
    > > > and laptops are wireless. I am lost, I would at least like to use the
    > > > shared
    > > > printer

    > > one word, Firewall(s)

    > Second word: anti-virus Internet worm blocking feature. Turns off
    > 'NetBIOS name resolution" protocol. To test, try to access another PC
    > with it's IP address (\\192.168.0.1) instead if name (\\PC2)

    I am able to "ping" into the laptop and from the laptop I can ping other
    systems in my network. Where can I turn on the netbios name resolution
    protocol?

    dennis48187, Dec 18, 2008
  4. dennis48187

    dennis48187 Guest

    dennis48187, Dec 18, 2008
  5. dennis48187

    dennis48187 Guest

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On Dec 18, 4:05 pm, "A New Day" <> wrote:
    > > "dennis48187" <> wrote in message

    > > >I have four systems on my home network, two desktop, two laptop. all
    > > >running
    > > > xp home sp3, desktops and one laptop can do file and print sharing final
    > > > laptop compaq presario can not. All systems can access internet, all have
    > > > unique ip addresses, all in the same workgroup MSHOME. the desktops are
    > > > wired
    > > > and laptops are wireless. I am lost, I would at least like to use the
    > > > shared
    > > > printer

    > > one word, Firewall(s)

    > Second word: anti-virus Internet worm blocking feature. Turns off
    > 'NetBIOS name resolution" protocol. To test, try to access another PC
    > with it's IP address (\\192.168.0.1) instead if name (\\PC2)

    I am able to ping in and out from this laptop Where do I overwrite or change
    the "netbios name resolution protocol?

    dennis48187, Dec 18, 2008
  6. Hi
    Maybe this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    allowed to be shared.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\), Dec 19, 2008
  7. dennis48187

    smlunatick Guest

    On Dec 18, 9:25 pm, dennis48187
    <> wrote:
    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Dec 18, 4:05 pm, "A New Day" <> wrote:
    > > > "dennis48187" <> wrote in message

    > > > one word, Firewall(s)

    > > Second word:  anti-virus Internet worm blocking feature.  Turns off
    > > 'NetBIOS name resolution" protocol.  To test, try to access another PC
    > > with it's IP address (\\192.168.0.1) instead if name (\\PC2)

    > I am able to ping in and out from this laptop Where do I overwrite or change
    > the "netbios name resolution protocol?

    Check in your anti-virus system. Look for Internet worm protection
    type protection.

    smlunatick, Dec 19, 2008
  8. dennis48187

    dennis48187 Guest

    "Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)" wrote:

    > Hi
    > Maybe this can Help.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > allowed to be shared.
    > Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
    > Windows XP File Sharing -
    > Printer Sharing XP -
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "dennis48187" <> wrote in message
    > >I have four systems on my home network, two desktop, two laptop. all
    > >running
    > > xp home sp3, desktops and one laptop can do file and print sharing final
    > > laptop compaq presario can not. All systems can access internet, all have
    > > unique ip addresses, all in the same workgroup MSHOME. the desktops are
    > > wired
    > > and laptops are wireless. I am lost, I would at least like to use the
    > > shared
    > > printer

    I tried most of the suggestions you listed (I did not try the ones related
    to vista)
    One of them was to install netbui, which I have the same result as previous.
    After following each suggestion I reboot if needed and go to my network
    connections, entire network and I see nothing and get just a "beep". I also
    located a link to reset tcp/ip (it didn't work either) I believe if I
    re-installed windows I would have the same problem. As I mentioned in
    printer lost connection to the server, I believe all of this is the same
    problem. Any new suggestions?

    dennis48187, Dec 19, 2008
  9. dennis48187

    dennis48187 Guest

    "smlunatick" wrote:

    > On Dec 18, 9:25 pm, dennis48187
    > <> wrote:

    > > > Second word: anti-virus Internet worm blocking feature. Turns off
    > > > 'NetBIOS name resolution" protocol. To test, try to access another PC
    > > > with it's IP address (\\192.168.0.1) instead if name (\\PC2)

    > > I am able to ping in and out from this laptop Where do I overwrite or change
    > > the "netbios name resolution protocol?
    > >

    > Check in your anti-virus system. Look for Internet worm protection
    > type protection.

    I am using spyware doctor as anti-virus and have not located any internet
    worm protection setting

    dennis48187, Dec 19, 2008
  10. dennis48187

    smlunatick Guest

    On Dec 19, 4:41 pm, dennis48187
    <> wrote:
    > "smlunatick" wrote:
    > > On Dec 18, 9:25 pm, dennis48187
    > > <> wrote:

    > > > I am able to ping in and out from this laptop Where do I overwrite or change
    > > > the "netbios name resolution protocol?

    > > Check in your anti-virus system.  Look for Internet worm protection
    > > type protection.

    > I am using spyware doctor as anti-virus and have not located any internet
    > worm protection setting

    Spyware are not in the same category as virus. Spyware Doctor appears
    to detect mainly spywares and not viruses. Look at Avg or Avast.

    smlunatick, Dec 19, 2008