    see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on the
    same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access the
    router. Any help or ideas???
    =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?=, Jan 7, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?=

    The Baba Guest

    l says:
    >>Any help or ideas???>>

    I know it's a dumb question, but are the drives set to shared? Are you using
    NetBEUI protocol? I had the same problem, installed NetBEUI, and it fixed
    the problem...

    --
    :-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'**'``'*:-.,_,.-:
    Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs
    The Baba, Jan 7, 2005

  3. No, NetBEUI is not installed on any machine. That is what is so puzzling
    since two of them can see each other. Since the laptops are also used on
    other networks, I really don't want to install that protocol. I'd rather
    transfer as I currenly an, using CD-RW discs.

    =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?=, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Are they on the same IP subnet, since you mentioned a router being used?
    Default gateway? Any broadcast traffic dis/allowed? What kind of platforms
    are they on (Win 2000, XP, XP SP2, etc.)?

    It would be helpful if
    ipconfig /all
    can be run and posted here for further analysis.

    Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVzbW9uZCBMZWU=?=, Jan 7, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Jan 7, 2005
  6. One laptop is using XP Pro and the other XP Home. Neither can see any other
    computer. One desktop is using XP Pro and the other is using XP home and they
    can see each other and send files to each other. All are using DHCP and are
    configured identically when I set up the network. I'd rather not post all the
    ipconfigs but if you can send me your address, I will send them to you. I
    just don't want them posted for all to see. I've even removed McAfee firewall
    and disabled Microsoft firewall to no avail. Thanks for your help.

    =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?=, Jan 8, 2005
  7. No luck so far, I even tried mapping a drive but I got a message telling me I
    don't have persmissions and to contact the administrator. i am the
    administrator.

    =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?=, Jan 8, 2005
  8. Review the following for clues to your setup:

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/networking/browsersrvc.htm

    Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVzbW9uZCBMZWU=?=, Jan 8, 2005
  9. www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Carey

    Carey Holzman, Jan 9, 2005
  10. Can any one help me with this-I am using a wireless laptop that is networked
    to my desktop-it seems that i can only see the shared info when the desktop
    is on but not the other way around-I am sure this is a simple fix-can someone
    help!?? please

    thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFpbGVl?=, Jan 10, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?=

    Malke Guest

    Hailee wrote:

    > Can any one help me with this-I am using a wireless laptop that is
    > networked to my desktop-it seems that i can only see the shared info
    > when the desktop is on but not the other way around-I am sure this is
    > a simple fix-can someone help!?? please
    >

    > thanks
    >
    > "lsanroman" wrote:
    >
    >> I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The
    >> desktops can see each other and I can transfer files between the two
    >> but they can't see the laptops and the laptops can't see the
    >> desktops. They are all on the same workgroup, one of the desktops
    >> even uses a wireless card to access the router. Any help or ideas???

    Are you the original poster? If not, please start a new thread instead
    of hijacking someone else's post. It makes it very difficult to help
    both parties when you do this. Make sure to include all information
    about your system such as operating system versions, Service Pack
    levels, and the physical set up of the network.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Jan 10, 2005
  12. i am not-i tried to start a new thread and it did not seem to work -thanks
    for your help

    =?Utf-8?B?SGFpbGVl?=, Jan 10, 2005
  13. =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?=

    Malke Guest

    Hailee wrote:

    > i am not-i tried to start a new thread and it did not seem to work
    > -thanks for your help

    You will find it much easier to use this resource if you use a real
    newsreader instead of the terribly clunky web interface. Since you are
    using the web interface, you may not realize that this is really a
    newsgroup. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
    Outlook Express since you already have it. Here are some links to
    information about newsgroups to broaden your posting pleasure!

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
    explanation of newsgroups
    http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
    - Set Up Newsreader
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
    (enter url on one line in browser addressbar)
    microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
    working properly

    Malke
    Malke, Jan 10, 2005
  14. Thanks to all who have answered. After trying numerous solutions, I still
    have not been able to see any other computers from my laptop but my desktop
    (XP Home) can now see my laptop. However, when I try to access it, I receive
    tyhe following error message:

    "\\laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use network
    resourse. Contact tthe Administrator of the server to find out if you have
    access permissions.
    The network path could not be found."

    I have logged in as administrator on both machines to no avail. I assume it
    is not the desktop since it can see and access another desktop on the network
    as well as the network printer server; therefore, it has to be something in
    the laptop. I'm still looking for it and someday I will find the fix...

    =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?=, Jan 17, 2005
  15. 1. Do an ipconfig /all on all machines and make sure ALL settings are EXACTLY the same
    (except for host name, mac and ip address).
    2. Rember that workgroup names are "case sensative" so they must match EXACTLY.
    3. Create a universal account, such as the Admin being the same on all machines with the
    same password. Log on as that universal user and test accessing shares. (Make sure that
    user is in the permissions for the share).
    4. Make sure there is a shared folder on each machine (no shares means they do not show up
    on the borwse list).
    5. Once the ipcionfig shows EXACTLY the same settings, then ping weach machine. If you
    cannot ping a machine, then there is a hardware problem or there is a firewall/antivirus
    component, blocking the connectivity.
    6. Make sure there are not more than 10 nodes in this worksgroup.

    The above should resolve your issue. Please make sure you check the configurations
    carefully, as a mistype is quite possible on an IP address.

    HTH,
    Gary

    --------------------
    '--'From: =?Utf-8?B?bHNhbnJvbWFu?= <>
    '--'Subject: Re: Can't see other computer on my network
    '--'Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:37:01 -0800
    '--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless
    '--'
    '--'No luck so far, I even tried mapping a drive but I got a message telling me I
    '--'don't have persmissions and to contact the administrator. i am the
    '--'administrator.
    '--'
    '--'"Jack" wrote:
    '--'
    '--'> Hi
    '--'>
    '--'> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    '--'>
    '--'> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    '--'>
    '--'>
    '--'> "lsanroman" <> wrote in message
    '--'> news:...
    '--'> >I have several computer on my router, 2 desktop and 2 laptop. The desktops
    '--'> > can see each other and I can transfer files between the two but they can't
    '--'> > see the laptops and the laptops can't see the desktops. They are all on
    '--'> > the
    '--'> > same workgroup, one of the desktops even uses a wireless card to access
    '--'> > the
    '--'> > router. Any help or ideas???
    '--'>
    '--'>
    '--'>
    '--'

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
    script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

    Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
    directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.
    Gary Fose [MSFT], Jan 18, 2005
  16. That error and fix is avoidable if you follow the steps at

    Carey Holzman, Jan 18, 2005