    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Many thanks
    JB
    Jayne Beaumont, Feb 23, 2007

  2. Jayne Beaumont

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:34:44 GMT, Jayne Beaumont wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >just installed Vista Ultimate on one of our PCs - working great. Only

    Somebody had to.

    >trouble is regarding our home network. From the PC running XP I am no

    Then it's not :)

    >longer able to see the PC running Vista on the network. The Vista PC can

    Your Vista firewall / AV isn't blocking incoming filesharing?

    "Can't See Other Computer On Home Network" how, you can't map a drive,
    can't ping by IP or name, can't browse network?

    Even if you can't browse, can you manually map a network drive to the
    \\computer\sharename? Also try using \\ip-address\sharename.

    Turn on the VIsta PC first and wait for it to boot, then turn on the XP
    PC. The newer version of any MS Win OS prefers to be the one to handle
    name resolution.

    You did create a share, with all the correct permissions? Not just
    turning on sharing as you mention below.

    You did add the usernames to the share?

    >see the XP PC fine. Have run the Network Setup Wizard on both PC's,

    Usually the case, I have heard that a lot but never had it happen.

    Never needed to use the wizard, it seems to either work or often
    mentioned not to use it.

    >rebooted both. Ensured that sharing is enabled on both PCs and also that

    Sharing to what?

    >the guest account is active on the Vista PC. Workgroup name is the same on

    Disable guest account.

    >both PCs.

    You have the same account username / password on each PC?

    >Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    >Many thanks
    >JB

    Me
    why?, Feb 23, 2007

  3. Thanks for the advice. Managed to sort it. The network was set to
    'private' instead of 'public' on the Vista PC. Changed it and all is
    working fine now.

    Cheers
    JB

    Jayne Beaumont, Feb 23, 2007