    up anything else. Have I missed a step, or is there something else I need
    to do?

    Tracey
    Tracey Kelly, Feb 24, 2007

  2. If all the computers can connect to the Router (and use the Internet) than
    the problem has to do with File Sharing configuration.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 24, 2007

  3. Tracey Kelly

    Tracey Guest

    Yeah unfortunately it is not sharing the internet connection either. It
    says on the main computer that the internet connection is enabled to share,
    but the only thing that I have is that the laptop can see the router.

    Tracey

    Tracey, Feb 24, 2007
  4. Tracey Kelly

    David Hettel Guest

    Tracey from what you've said I believe you need to describe your network in
    better detail. How do you get the Internet? Do you get a Broadband
    connection DSL/Cable? Normally you've have something like a
    DSL/Cable/Broadband connection connected to the router's WAN port, then the
    notebooks would be connected to the router wirelessly. Your desktop would be
    wired to the router, or it could connect wirelessly.

    There are other ways this could be connected. In your post you say the
    Desktop is configured to **share** the Internet, this would be an incorrect
    setting if the DSL/Cable/Broadband connects to the WAN port of the router.
    Without knowing more about the actual connections of your network it's hard
    to tell you what to do.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Feb 24, 2007
  5. Tracey Kelly

    Tracey Guest

    I connect directly to my ISDN connection from my main computer(the modem is
    plug directly into the back of the main computer). The router then is
    connected to this computer, and is between this computer and the other two.
    The cabling is such that it runs from a port at the back of the computer to
    one of the four computer ports on the router. I know that this sounds a bit
    strange, but like I say it has worked for three years in this
    configuration( I have always been able to share the internet connection with
    the laptop and file share with no problems at all between the two), but
    unfortunately was set up by a computer expert for me initially, which cost
    me an arm and a leg, and I do not have the money for this now.

    Tracey

    Tracey, Feb 24, 2007
  6. Tracey Kelly

    David Hettel Guest

    OK Tracey I understand your network, Can you tell me the IP addresses of
    your computers? I'll need the ones that start 192.168.0.xxx Can you still
    access the MR814 from the desktop?

    David Hettel, Feb 24, 2007
  7. Tracey Kelly

    Tracey Guest

    Thanks for your help, David.

    I have the desktop as 192.168.0.1
    I have the laptop as 192.168.0.2
    I have the other computer I was trying to add as 192.168.0.3
    I have the router as 192.168.0.99 ( not sure if this is correct or not??)
    I tried assigning address automatically but it seem to just bring everything
    down when I did that - and also when it was working before they had static
    address. Also on the laptop, it was specified that the gateway was
    192.168.0.1.

    When you say can I access the MR814 from the desktop - do you mean through
    the Netgear Router settings - if so, yes. Otherwise, I can see that my Local
    Area Connection is working, which I assume means the router is working, and
    I can ping the router address through the command screen.

    Hope this helps,

    Tracey, Feb 25, 2007
  8. Tracey Kelly

    David Hettel Guest

    Is your MR814 silver or white? If it is silver does the antenna detach, I am
    looking at the manuals for your MR814 and there seems to be three versions.
    Do you have the SSID turn on (enabled) and can you see the SSID on the
    laptops? This tells us that the Laptops are configured correctly, and the
    wireless radios are working.

    David Hettel, Feb 25, 2007
  9. Tracey Kelly

    Tracey Guest

    The router is silver, and yes the antenna does detach. There is nowhere
    specific to enable the SSID, but yes I do believe it is turned on because I
    can see the SSID on the laptops, and even my mobile phone!

    Tracey, Feb 25, 2007