    affects so few people that I doubt they're going to do anything to fix it.

    Thanks for any help, and if there's a better group to post this question to,
    please let me know.

    LeighMo, Oct 11, 2003

  2. LeighMo

    Brian H¹© Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q283807

    Brian H¹©, Oct 11, 2003

  3. LeighMo

    Spider Guest

    > A web site I hang out at a lot recently changed their server settings, in order
    > to block mass downloading. Ever since they did that, some people have not been
    > able to see the images on the site. The text shows up fine, but the images are
    > red X's. And there seems to be no pattern as to who is affected and who isn't.
    > Different browsers, different ISPs, different OS's.
    >
    > Any idea what's causing this, and is there anything users can do on their end
    > to fix it? They've tried tech support at the site in question, but the problem
    > affects so few people that I doubt they're going to do anything to fix it.
    >
    > Thanks for any help, and if there's a better group to post this question to,
    > please let me know.

    The first thing that comes to mind is a DNS related problem. When websites change servers (IP addresses) then all of the DNS servers in the world need to update to the new servers. Replications take place constantly, but in some cases a router's table can become corrupt and not update correctly. For this particular problem to fit into this scenario, the images would have to be stored on another server then the web page itself, since they are loading the page and not the images. This would cause the random issues that you describe here.

    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

    --
    Composed with Newz Crawler 1.5 http://www.newzcrawler.com/

    Spider, Oct 11, 2003
  4. LeighMo

    Miggsee Guest

    The first thing that comes to mind is "Hi, Spider!"! :)

    Miggsee, Oct 11, 2003
  5. LeighMo

    gangle Guest

    "Spider" wrote

    <Edited for clarity>

    **** off, you hairy bug-eater.

    gangle, Oct 11, 2003
  6. LeighMo

    LeighMo Guest

    Thanks very much for your reply!

    >The first thing that comes to mind is a DNS related problem. When websites
    >change servers (IP addresses) then all of the DNS servers in the world need
    >to update to the new servers. Replications take place constantly, but in
    >some cases a router's table can become corrupt and not update correctly. For
    >this particular problem to fit into this scenario, the images would have to
    >be stored on another server then the web page itself, since they are loading
    >the page and not the images. This would cause the random issues that you
    >describe here.

    The images are stored on a different server. It's an art web site, and the
    user galleries are immense. They were bogging down the whole site, so the
    galleries were moved to a different server.

    But I really think it has something to do with blocking mass downloading. A
    few years ago, some people couldn't see any images on the site. Finally, after
    three years, the tech support people changed a setting on their server. (They
    said they changed a "switch" on the server, that had something to do with
    blocking mass downloading.) After that, everyone could see the images. But a
    month ago, the galleries were attacked by script kiddies who were trying to
    download all the art to view offline. (They'd have to have a large array of
    computers just to hold it all, but I don't think they knew that.) Mass
    downloading was blocked again, and now the same people who were affected last
    time can't see the images. (The galleries are now on a different server, so
    only gallery images are invisible this time.)

    Only a very few people are affected, but it's annoying the heck out of them.
    One is a Safari user. One is an Opera user. And one is an IE user. Switching
    ISPs (on the same computer) doesn't seem to help, but switching browsers does.
    Both the Opera user and the IE user have found that they can see the images if
    they use Netscape instead. Any idea why that might be?

    LeighMo, Oct 11, 2003
  7. LeighMo

    Rick Merrill Guest

    LeighMo wrote:

    > Thanks very much for your reply!
    >

    >>The first thing that comes to mind is a DNS related problem. When websites
    >>change servers (IP addresses) then all of the DNS servers in the world need
    >>to update to the new servers. Replications take place constantly, but in
    >>some cases a router's table can become corrupt and not update correctly. For
    >>this particular problem to fit into this scenario, the images would have to
    >>be stored on another server then the web page itself, since they are loading
    >>the page and not the images. This would cause the random issues that you
    >>describe here.

    > The images are stored on a different server. It's an art web site, and the
    > user galleries are immense. They were bogging down the whole site, so the
    > galleries were moved to a different server.

    I think 'spider' has nailed it. Let us know if you find a fix.

    Rick Merrill, Oct 11, 2003
  8. LeighMo

    Miggsee Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in message
    > "Spider" wrote
    >
    > <Edited for clarity>
    >
    > > This would cause the random issues that you describe here.

    > **** off, you hairy bug-eater.

    FU, mustard lover!

    Miggsee, Oct 11, 2003
  9. LeighMo

    LeighMo Guest

    >I think 'spider' has nailed it. Let us know if you find a fix.

    If Spider has nailed it, is there any fix? And who would have to do the
    fixing? The web site? Individual ISPs?

    LeighMo, Oct 11, 2003
  10. On 11 Oct 2003 17:29:45 GMT, tose (LeighMo) wrote:

    >>I think 'spider' has nailed it. Let us know if you find a fix.
    >>

    >If Spider has nailed it, is there any fix? And who would have to do the
    >fixing? The web site? Individual ISPs?

    As long as you are on AOL, you won't see it at all.

    Nunnayabidniz, Oct 12, 2003
  11. LeighMo

    Mike0000 Guest

    LeighMo wrote:

    > A web site I hang out at a lot recently changed their server settings, in order
    > to block mass downloading. Ever since they did that, some people have not been
    > able to see the images on the site. The text shows up fine, but the images are
    > red X's. And there seems to be no pattern as to who is affected and who isn't.
    > Different browsers, different ISPs, different OS's.
    >
    > Any idea what's causing this, and is there anything users can do on their end
    > to fix it? They've tried tech support at the site in question, but the problem
    > affects so few people that I doubt they're going to do anything to fix it.
    >
    > Thanks for any help, and if there's a better group to post this question to,
    > please let me know.

    Yes, email the webmaster and tell him/her. This is most likely a server
    side problem probably with using the referrer to protect their /img
    directory.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now

    Mike0000, Oct 12, 2003
  12. LeighMo

    LeighMo Guest

    >Yes, email the webmaster and tell him/her. This is most likely a server
    >side problem probably with using the referrer to protect their /img
    >directory.

    Thanks. I kind of doubt they'll do anything, though. It just doesn't affect
    enough people to be worth their time to fix.

    Strangely, though, everyone who has the problem is able to see the images if
    they just switch to Netscape. Doesn't matter which version of Netscape -
    anything from Netscape 3 to Netscape 7 seems to work.

    LeighMo, Oct 12, 2003
  13. LeighMo

    Mike0000 Guest

    LeighMo wrote:

    >>Yes, email the webmaster and tell him/her. This is most likely a server
    >>side problem probably with using the referrer to protect their /img
    >>directory.

    > Thanks. I kind of doubt they'll do anything, though. It just doesn't affect
    > enough people to be worth their time to fix.
    >
    > Strangely, though, everyone who has the problem is able to see the images if
    > they just switch to Netscape. Doesn't matter which version of Netscape -
    > anything from Netscape 3 to Netscape 7 seems to work.

    I've had this same problem. The newest versions of IE dont play nice
    with the Apache webserver when you do referrer based filtering. I dont
    know the work around, but any competent admin should know.

    You should organize everyone and get them to mass-mail the webmaster to
    his attention.

    Mike0000, Oct 12, 2003
  14. LeighMo

    LeighMo Guest

    >I've had this same problem. The newest versions of IE dont play nice
    >with the Apache webserver when you do referrer based filtering.

    I don't know if they use Apache or not, but it sure sounds like this is what's
    happening. A couple of people didn't have any problem until they installed an
    IE security patch. Then suddenly, they couldn't see any images. And they
    started having to give their username and password, when it had always been
    "remembered" before.

    > I dont
    >know the work around, but any competent admin should know.

    Any idea where I can find a competent admin? ;-)

    Thanks very much for info. Even if they don't fix it, it's nice to know what
    the problem is.

    LeighMo, Oct 12, 2003