    Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6

    Thanks!

    Carmen
    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Sep 6, 2006

  2. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
    > Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
    > far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
    >
    > I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Carmen

    What happens when you try?
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Sep 6, 2006

  3. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    gwtc Guest

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
    > Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
    > far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
    >
    > I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Carmen

    click on Tools, Downloads, and clean up the download manager. Does it
    work now?

    --
    Pic of the day:
    http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=freetogoodhomeor3.jpg
    gwtc, Sep 6, 2006
  4. > click on Tools, Downloads, and clean up the download manager. Does it
    > work now?

    No, and my download manager had already been cleaned out... any other ideas?

    Thanks!

    C.

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Sep 6, 2006
  5. > What happens when you try?

    Absolutely nothing. In other words, I go through every step you have to take
    when saving a picture, but when I go look for the picture, there's nothing
    there... but it works in IE (insert
    uncomfortable-looking-I-have-just-touched-something-slimy shiver here! ;-)

    Strange, huh?! I think I may just try re-installing Firefox and see what
    happens. Probably just one of those ripples in the time-space continuum...

    C.

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Sep 6, 2006
  6. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Big Craigie Guest

    > Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
    >> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
    >> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
    >>
    >> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox
    >> 1.5.0.6
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Carmen

    > click on Tools, Downloads, and clean up the download manager. Does it
    > work now?
    >
    > --
    > Pic of the day:
    > http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=freetogoodhomeor3.jpg

    I trust you are doing right click...save image as...then saving it to the
    destinition of your choice

    BC

    Big Craigie, Sep 6, 2006
  7. On 6-9-2006 12:41, Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
    >> click on Tools, Downloads, and clean up the download manager. Does it
    >> work now?

    > No, and my download manager had already been cleaned out... any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > C.
    >[...]

    1) Which theme are you using? Try to revert to Firefox' default theme
    (Tools > Themes, and restart FF).

    2) Open the Javascript console (Tools > JavaScript Console), clear
    messages already there. Then try to save an image, and look at the JS
    console if any messages appear.

    3) Start Firefox in safe-mode. Can you save an image in safe-mode? [In
    safe mode, all extensions are disabled, and the default FF theme is used.]
    To start in safe-mode, close FF completely, then in Windows use Start >
    Mozilla Firefox > Firefox (Safe Mode). See also
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode>.
    --
    Regards,

    Roland
    Roland de Ruiter, Sep 6, 2006
  8. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
    >> What happens when you try?

    > Absolutely nothing. In other words, I go through every step you have to take
    > when saving a picture, but when I go look for the picture, there's nothing
    > there... but it works in IE (insert
    > uncomfortable-looking-I-have-just-touched-something-slimy shiver here! ;-)
    >
    > Strange, huh?! I think I may just try re-installing Firefox and see what
    > happens. Probably just one of those ripples in the time-space continuum...
    >
    > C.
    >

    > "Mozilla Champion (Dan)" <> wrote in message
    >> Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
    >>> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
    >>> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
    >>>
    >>> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox
    >>> 1.5.0.6
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Carmen

    It would be a lot easier if you bottom posted thanks. Answers follow
    questions in chronological sequence then.

    Try changing the destination you are saving to, try just the desktop for
    example. any luck?
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Sep 6, 2006
  9. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    gwtc Guest

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
    >> click on Tools, Downloads, and clean up the download manager. Does it
    >> work now?

    > No, and my download manager had already been cleaned out... any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > C.
    > "gwtc" <7yjsIFfetn> wrote in message
    >> Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell wrote:
    >>> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
    >>> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
    >>>
    >>> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox
    >>> 1.5.0.6
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Carmen

    close FF, then using your file manager, locate the file downloads.rdf
    which is located in the FF profile. Once found, delete it. Now try
    again. Does it work this time?

    To locate your FF profile, you can read this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#profile

    but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/hiddenfiles.mspx

    --
    Pic of the Day:
    http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=internetyo6.jpg
    gwtc, Sep 6, 2006
  10. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Faun Guest

    In article <uTpLg.32793$>,
    says...

    > Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
    > far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
    >
    > I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.6

    I assume you use Windows.

    To make sure that Fx understands image types, you could try to make Fx
    smaller than your computer screen, i.e. not maximized. Then load a page
    that contains some image of known type, like GIF or something. Grab the
    image using the mouse pointer, and drag the image onto the (now) visible
    Desktop and drop it there.

    If you don't get a "target accepts dragged object" mouse pointer (i.e. a
    small square around the tip of the pointer) but a "stop sign," and
    subsequently no image, you probably have some very weird problems in
    your installation.
    --
    faun.
    Faun, Sep 6, 2006
  11. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Bucky Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > It would be a lot easier if you bottom posted thanks. Answers follow
    > questions in chronological sequence then.

    He did quote the relevant question that he was answering, "> What
    happens when you try?", above the answer. The only better thing he
    should have done was trim/delete the rest of the previous post.

    As long as you're using any sort of news reader, you're going to have
    the previous post displayed above.
    Bucky, Sep 7, 2006
  12. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Nicik Name Guest

    "Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <> wrote in message
    > Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
    > far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
    >
    > I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox

    1.5.0.6

    > Thanks!
    >
    > Carmen

    Are you pressing SAVE in the My Pictures or the folder you are in?

    Nicik Name, Sep 8, 2006
  13. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Redvee Guest

    "Nicik Name" <> wrote in message

    > "Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <> wrote in message
    >> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
    >> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
    >>
    >> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox

    > 1.5.0.6
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Carmen

    > Are you pressing SAVE in the My Pictures or the folder you are in?

    Have you tried the 'image toolbar' extension?. Works just like the IE
    picture toolbar, you can save, print or copy the image.
    Redvee, Sep 8, 2006
  14. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Redvee Guest

    "Redvee" <> wrote in message

    > "Nicik Name" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell" <> wrote in message
    >>> Suddenly, I am unable to save any images from any website (jpg, gif so
    >>> far...) to my desktop, or to anywhere else on my computer.
    >>>
    >>> I don't think I've changed any settings... it works fine in IE 6.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on? I'm using Firefox

    >> 1.5.0.6
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Carmen

    >> Are you pressing SAVE in the My Pictures or the folder you are in?

    > Have you tried the 'image toolbar' extension?. Works just like the IE
    > picture toolbar, you can save, print or copy the image.

    The link I couldn't find earlier
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/243/
    Redvee, Sep 8, 2006
  15. Okay, let me add to the weirdness... I can't save an image using the right
    click command, but if I left click and drag to my desktop... then it'll save
    it.

    Anyone?!

    C.

    Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell, Sep 9, 2006
  16. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Faun Guest

    In article <tuyMg.44877$>,
    says...

    > Okay, let me add to the weirdness... I can't save an image using the right
    > click command, but if I left click and drag to my desktop... then it'll save
    > it.

    Then I think you need to follow the ideas you have already been given,
    like starting in safe mode, create a new user profile, and so on.

    Most likely there is either an extension behaving badly, or you have
    some setting that has been set in a way it shouldn't, or a combination
    of the two.
    --
    faun.
    Faun, Sep 9, 2006
  17. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    raven

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I found this post because I was having the exact same problem Carmen was describing. I tried all the solutions offered and it looks like the gwtc suggested about deleting the file "downloads.rdf" works. I found this file in documents and settings/application data/mozilla/firefox/profiles/{folder for user being affected}/downloads.rdf

    I changed the file name and let it create a new one, that seems to have fixed the problem. Also, you need to change windows explorer to allow it to see hidden files.

    Thanks gwtc, hope it helps you too carmen.
    raven, Sep 17, 2006
  18. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    ossito

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    same problem

    I am having the EXACT same problem. It just started recently. I thought it was Windows or something, and thanks to this thread it occurred to me to try IE, and sure enough the problem is Firefox (thank goodness). When you right click an image and select "save image as", the save dialog box appears as usual, allowing you to select where to save. My default is the desktop. It doesn't matter where you select, the file just doesn't get saved anywhere. After clicking the "save" button, the dialog box disappears and nothing unusual happens... no error message or anything, as if the file had been saved just fine. Rebooting doesn't help, nor does clearing the cookies, cache, etc. Already scanned for viruses and nothing found.

    I can only think that maybe it's one of the prefs (.js file) but I don't know which line it might be. :dong:
    ossito, Sep 26, 2006
  19. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    ossito

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Raven, you should be a Junior+ member, at least! Good show... downloads.rdf was indeed the problem. Changed the name... then just deleted. Ff generates a new one. I do wonder how this file became problematic. It was at 15k when I saw it. After downloading a small gif, the new one was reported as 1k. I tried to open to take a look, but it can't be done in notepad. Anyway, thanks a bundle!

    p.s. (edit) actually, PROPS to GWTC!
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
    ossito, Sep 26, 2006
  20. Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell

    Janice P. Guest

    Re: Re: Can't save images in Firefox...

    On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 08:39:57 -0700, gwtc
    <7yjsIFfetn> posted:

    >close FF, then using your file manager, locate the file downloads.rdf
    >which is located in the FF profile. Once found, delete it. Now try
    >again. Does it work this time?

    FYI to interested folks: It's now mid-December and I came here looking for
    help with the same problem: Firefox absolutely would not save images, even
    though it went through the procedure normally. There was simply nothing on
    the hard drive afterwards.

    I saw this three month old thread and located and deleted downloads.rdf as
    recommended above, and it worked.

    J.
    Janice P., Dec 9, 2006