Can't save files to mounted vhd's.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Jun 2, 2011.

  1. Hello,

    I used vhd tool 2.0 to turn file disk images into a vhd.

    I then used VHD attach 2.0 to auto mount the vhd's in windows 7 ultimate.

    I now try to write a text file or a ms paint file to one of the vhd's but it
    says something like "permission denied".

    I also checked "disk management tool" and it seems to be acting weird.

    It does see all the vhd's but it does not show the disk labels and the
    virtual disk do also not show up in the top window.

    If I make the disks go offline and online they do appear in top window.

    VHD created with windows 7 itself seems to work just fine and has all
    permisions.

    But the VHD's created with vhd tool seems to have a problem.

    Are all VHD's created the same or do the image to vhd files have special
    footers ?!?

    Any idea's how to make the dsk to vhd files writeable by notepad and ms
    paint ?!?

    I can create new folders... but can't save files from apps ?!?

    Also when I right click on windows explorer when inside the virtual disk I
    get the pop-up menu, but it only says:

    "new->folder"

    The rest of the menu options are missing ?!?

    Like:

    "new->text file" <- it's missing !??

    I am supposed to be an administrator so why don't I have all rights ?!?
    weird...

    I did notice "all users" does not have write rights... ?!?

    Perhaps that's the problem ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Jun 2, 2011

  2. The differences are as follows:

    VHD created by windows 7 has following users/groups in security tab:

    1. Authenticated Users (all permissions except: full control and special
    permissions)
    2. System (all permissions except: special permissions
    3. Administrators ( all permissions except: special permissions)
    4. Users ( read, execute, list folder contents )

    VHD created by VHD tool and VHD attach:

    1. Everyone (no permissions, except special permission(s) (?))
    2. CREATOR OWNER (no permissions, except special permission(s)(?))
    3. System (same as other vhd)
    4. Administators (same as other vhd)
    5. Users (+special permissions)

    So looking at this:

    1. Authenticated users is missing
    2. It has two extra users/groups ?!? Everyone and CREATOR OWNER ?!?
    3. Users have special permission in second vhd ?!?

    Can anybody make any sense out of this ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Jun 2, 2011

  3. Well, you've answered your own question. It's a permissions problem, and
    your tools have created the files with the wrong permissions. So, change
    them. If you set Authenticated Users to Change (all except Full Control),
    you should be fine.

    (You can generally ignore "Special Permissions" except in very specialized
    cases. This might show something if someone, or more likely some
    application, has done some very detailed and narrow permissions setting. It
    is not a permission itself, but reflects if there are some permissions set
    that are not covered by the other categories.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jun 2, 2011
  4. I added "authenticated users" and read and write permissions, and now it's
    modifieing every file.

    That can't be correct.

    This disk image is from XP 64 and XP 32 bit.

    And those two operating systems can modify files and the file system just
    fine.

    One solution could be to run programs as:

    "Run as Administrator" by right clicking on their icons.

    All-in-all this is pretty weird.

    Perhaps "run as administrator" is better for security sake and speed sake.

    Because I have other images with hundred thousands of files or so... and
    I'll be damned if I am gonna change all those permissions, even if it's
    automated... takes too long probably, but I might have no choice... utterly
    weird though.

    For now I will assume I have to run stuff as "Run as Administrator".

    Isn't that a bit weird/strange that that does work ?

    I am already an administrator ?!?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 2, 2011
  5. Anyway adding authenticated users + read/write permissions did work.

    Windows Explorer will then show "pop up menu" with text files...

    Unfortunately "run as administator" does not seem to work for windows
    explorer.

    Perhaps I need to somehow take ownership of the disk/image/vhd ?

    Weird.

    Skybuck Flying, Jun 2, 2011