    and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still doesn't
    work.

    Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?

    John Schutkeker, Aug 18, 2007

  2. John Schutkeker

    meerkat Guest

    "John Schutkeker" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns999040CF09823lkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.17.102...

    > After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6) can
    > no
    > longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to work
    > correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it working,
    > well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an error box
    > saying
    > "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the destination
    > directory.
    >
    > I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the lengths
    > of
    > file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few characters,
    > and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still
    > doesn't
    > work.
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?

    Check your Event Viewer for errors to see what shows up.
    In Applications, and System logs.

    bw..

    meerkat, Aug 18, 2007

  3. John Schutkeker

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:22:07 GMT, John Schutkeker
    <> wrote:

    >After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6) can no
    >longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to work
    >correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it working,
    >well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an error box saying
    >"This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the destination
    >directory.
    >
    >I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the lengths of
    >file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few characters,
    >and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still doesn't
    >work.
    >
    >Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?

    Try a different browser.

    Evan Platt, Aug 18, 2007
  4. John Schutkeker

    Vanguard Guest

    "John Schutkeker" wrote in message

    > After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6)
    > can no
    > longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to
    > work
    > correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it
    > working,
    > well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an error box
    > saying
    > "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the
    > destination
    > directory.
    >
    > I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the
    > lengths of
    > file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few
    > characters,
    > and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still
    > doesn't
    > work.
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?

    Because IE will try to yank the page to times out with complex
    server-side scripts, iframe, or other security options. Many pages
    proffer up only some of their content by using Javascript or VBscript
    to compile the URLs for embedded contents, like for images. IE does
    not parse (run) scripts when saving the web page. Since IE can't get
    it all, it aborts. Another reason is that the page uses a linked
    style sheet which is on a different server than the web page. An
    update (MS02-023) changed security options to block data from a
    different domains. You could modify that setting in the Internet
    Security zone but then any site that wants to get data from somewhere
    else could lie to you. You could set it to Prompt instead of
    Disabled. You could try putting IE in offline mode so what it saves
    comes from its cache).

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235589

    Vanguard, Aug 18, 2007
  5. John Schutkeker

    Agent Smith Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in

    > "John Schutkeker" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6)
    >> can no
    >> longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to
    >> work correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it
    >> working, well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an
    >> error box saying
    >> "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the
    >> destination directory.
    >>
    >> I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the
    >> lengths of
    >> file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few
    >> characters, and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the
    >> process still doesn't
    >> work.
    >>
    >> Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?
    >>

    > Check your Event Viewer for errors to see what shows up.
    > In Applications, and System logs.

    Nothing there, at least for this problem. :(

    Agent Smith, Aug 18, 2007
  6. John Schutkeker

    TJ Guest

    Agent Smith <> wrote in

    > "meerkat" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "John Schutkeker" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6)
    >>> can no
    >>> longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to
    >>> work correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it
    >>> working, well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an
    >>> error box saying
    >>> "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the
    >>> destination directory.
    >>>
    >>> I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the
    >>> lengths of
    >>> file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few
    >>> characters, and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the
    >>> process still doesn't
    >>> work.
    >>>
    >>> Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?
    >>>

    >> Check your Event Viewer for errors to see what shows up.
    >> In Applications, and System logs.

    > Nothing there, at least for this problem. :(

    When was the last time ya dumped your cache?

    IE>Tools>Internet Options>Delete Files> (check box that says, "Delete
    Offline Contents")>OK

    Clear your cookies and History while yer in there.

    TJ, Aug 18, 2007
  7. TJ <> wrote in

    > Agent Smith <> wrote in
    >> "meerkat" <> wrote in
    >>> "John Schutkeker" <> wrote in
    >>> message news:Xns999040CF09823lkajehoriuasldfjknak@207.115.17.102...

    >>> Check your Event Viewer for errors to see what shows up.
    >>> In Applications, and System logs.

    >> Nothing there, at least for this problem. :(

    > When was the last time ya dumped your cache?
    >
    > IE>Tools>Internet Options>Delete Files> (check box that says, "Delete
    > Offline Contents")>OK
    >
    > Clear your cookies and History while yer in there.

    I do it all the time, especially since I learned how much disk space it
    reclaims. :)

    John Schutkeker, Aug 18, 2007
  8. John Schutkeker

    Plato Guest

    John Schutkeker wrote:

    > After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6) can no
    > longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to work
    > correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it working,
    > well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an error box saying
    > "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the destination
    > directory.
    >
    > I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the lengths of
    > file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few characters,
    > and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still doesn't
    > work.

    That was a smart thing to try anyway...

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 19, 2007
  9. Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:46c7aee6$0$98891$:

    > John Schutkeker wrote:
    >>
    >> After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6)
    >> can no longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process
    >> appears to work correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer
    >> showing it working, well past 95%. But then the action stops
    >> abruptly, with an error box saying "This web page could not be
    >> saved," and no file appears in the destination directory.
    >>
    >> I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the
    >> lengths of file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a
    >> few characters, and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the
    >> process still doesn't work.

    > That was a smart thing to try anyway...

    There's a rumor on the ebay boards that ebay has set up their software
    to prevent page saving, but I have a friend who saves their pages
    routinely, and it doesn't happen to him, so it must be my machine.

    John Schutkeker, Aug 19, 2007
  10. John Schutkeker

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:19:03 GMT, John Schutkeker
    <> wrote:

    >There's a rumor on the ebay boards that ebay has set up their software
    >to prevent page saving, but I have a friend who saves their pages
    >routinely, and it doesn't happen to him, so it must be my machine.

    And it's just that. A rumor. Try the suggestions from the 5 or so
    other replies to your question.

    Evan Platt, Aug 19, 2007
  11. Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:19:03 GMT, John Schutkeker
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>There's a rumor on the ebay boards that ebay has set up their software
    >>to prevent page saving, but I have a friend who saves their pages
    >>routinely, and it doesn't happen to him, so it must be my machine.

    > And it's just that. A rumor. Try the suggestions from the 5 or so
    > other replies to your question.

    I've been trying them all, but with no success, thus far. One thing that
    strikes me, though, is that I've got another event in my event log,
    regarding my BIOS, and I'm wondering if that might be involned. ?:|

    John Schutkeker, Aug 19, 2007
  12. John Schutkeker

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 16:19:29 GMT, John Schutkeker
    <> wrote:

    >I've been trying them all, but with no success, thus far. One thing that
    >strikes me, though, is that I've got another event in my event log,
    >regarding my BIOS, and I'm wondering if that might be involned. ?:|

    So you tried in another browser?

    What browser?

    What was the outcome?

    Evan Platt, Aug 19, 2007
  13. John Schutkeker

    > Evan Platt <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:19:03 GMT, John Schutkeker
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>There's a rumor on the ebay boards that ebay has set up their software
    >>>to prevent page saving, but I have a friend who saves their pages
    >>>routinely, and it doesn't happen to him, so it must be my machine.

    >> And it's just that. A rumor. Try the suggestions from the 5 or so
    >> other replies to your question.

    > I've been trying them all, but with no success, thus far. One thing that
    > strikes me, though, is that I've got another event in my event log,
    > regarding my BIOS, and I'm wondering if that might be involned. ?:|

    Post the error J.
    full errors always help someone to help you.

    bw..

    meerkat, Aug 19, 2007
  14. "meerkat" <> wrote in

    > "John Schutkeker" <> wrote in message
    >> Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >>> And it's just that. A rumor. Try the suggestions from the 5 or so
    >>> other replies to your question.

    >> I've been trying them all, but with no success, thus far. One thing
    >> that strikes me, though, is that I've got another event in my event
    >> log, regarding my BIOS, and I'm wondering if that might be involned.
    >> ?:|
    >>

    > Post the error J.
    > full errors always help someone to help you.

    The error message is quite straightforward.

    "Error Saving Web Page"

    "This Web page could not be saved."

    If that clue is useful, please let me know. :(

    John Schutkeker, Aug 19, 2007
  15. John Schutkeker

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:02:48 GMT, John Schutkeker
    <> wrote:

    >The error message is quite straightforward.
    >
    >"Error Saving Web Page"
    >
    >"This Web page could not be saved."
    >
    >If that clue is useful, please let me know. :(

    *Sigh*.

    You said:

    "I've got another event in my event log, regarding my BIOS, and I'm
    wondering if that might be involned."

    meerkat said:

    "Post the error "

    I give up.

    Evan Platt, Aug 19, 2007
  16. John Schutkeker

    > "meerkat" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "John Schutkeker" <> wrote in message
    >>> Evan Platt <> wrote in

    >>> I've been trying them all, but with no success, thus far. One thing
    >>> that strikes me, though, is that I've got another event in my event
    >>> log, regarding my BIOS, and I'm wondering if that might be involned.
    >>> ?:|
    >>>

    >> Post the error J.
    >> full errors always help someone to help you.

    > The error message is quite straightforward.
    >
    > "Error Saving Web Page"
    >
    > "This Web page could not be saved."
    >
    > If that clue is useful, please let me know. :(

    Sorry Pal. Typical of M$ though.

    meerkat, Aug 19, 2007
  17. Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:02:48 GMT, John Schutkeker
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>The error message is quite straightforward.
    >>
    >>"Error Saving Web Page"
    >>
    >>"This Web page could not be saved."
    >>
    >>If that clue is useful, please let me know. :(

    > *Sigh*.
    >
    > You said:
    >
    > "I've got another event in my event log, regarding my BIOS, and I'm
    > wondering if that might be involned."
    >
    > meerkat said:
    >
    > "Post the error "
    >
    > I give up.

    My bad, but please don't give up. Anyhow, I figured that one out,
    because, if I disabled my network before rebooting, it would throw an
    error code on startup, saying "Can't start network because it is
    disabled." So that's not the problem.

    However, I have also noticed that it often takes me two tries to
    shutdown, which also thwows a code to the effect of "Shutdown failed."
    Could it have anything to do with that?

    John Schutkeker, Aug 19, 2007
  18. John Schutkeker

    Paul B Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:22:07 GMT, John Schutkeker wrote:

    > After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6) can no
    > longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process appears to work
    > correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer showing it working,
    > well past 95%. But then the action stops abruptly, with an error box saying
    > "This web page could not be saved," and no file appears in the destination
    > directory.
    >
    > I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the lengths of
    > file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a few characters,
    > and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the process still doesn't
    > work.
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?

    which file format are you trying to save to?

    p.

    Paul B, Aug 20, 2007
  19. Paul B <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:22:07 GMT, John Schutkeker wrote:
    >
    >> After several years of working correctly, my system (XP Pro w/ IE 6)
    >> can no longer save ebay's auction pages. If I try, the process
    >> appears to work correctly until the end, with a progress thermometer
    >> showing it working, well past 95%. But then the action stops
    >> abruptly, with an error box saying "This web page could not be
    >> saved," and no file appears in the destination directory.
    >>
    >> I thought that it might be a problem with Windows' limits on the
    >> lengths of file/path names, but if I reduce the page name to just a
    >> few characters, and save directly to C:\ and not a sub-directory, the
    >> process still doesn't work.
    >>
    >> Can anybody tell me what might be going wrong here?

    > which file format are you trying to save to?

    The default, html. IE 6 doesn't give me any more sophisticated options,
    like .asp or whatever.

    John Schutkeker, Aug 20, 2007
  20. John Schutkeker

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:24:28 GMT, John Schutkeker
    <> wrote:

    >The default, html. IE 6 doesn't give me any more sophisticated options,
    >like .asp or whatever.

    And as I've asked about a dozen times now, what other browser have you
    tried?

    Evan Platt, Aug 20, 2007