Can't save bookmarks

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by DavidM, Jun 11, 2006.

  1. DavidM

    DavidM Guest

    From a suggestion on an earlier thread I moved my bookmarks file
    to another location (drive):
    (I used about:config to make a new pref called
    browser.bookmarks.file and added the path\name for the new
    bookmarks file).
    I've since removed this entry - just reset it and it seems to get
    deleted when FF is restarted.

    However, I now cannot save any new bookmarks!
    I can see all my bookmarks, and they work, but the "Bookmark this
    page" dialogue box does not work properly. eg clicking the down
    arrow button does not display a list of folders, and clicking the
    OK button does not save the bookmark.

    The bookmarks.html file (now back in its original location) looks
    ok when opened in FF - no obvious corruptions), the file hasn't
    got flagged as read-only, and the file owner is still me. Have
    also tried reinstalling latest version of FF.

    Any ideas what's wrong or what else I can try please.

    Thanks, David.
    (remove _notme to email)

    DavidM, Jun 11, 2006

  2. DavidM

    DavidM Guest

    "DavidM" <> wrote in message
    > From a suggestion on an earlier thread I moved my bookmarks file
    > to another location (drive):
    > (I used about:config to make a new pref called
    > browser.bookmarks.file and added the path\name for the new
    > bookmarks file).
    > I've since removed this entry - just reset it and it seems to get
    > deleted when FF is restarted.
    >
    > However, I now cannot save any new bookmarks!
    > I can see all my bookmarks, and they work, but the "Bookmark this
    > page" dialogue box does not work properly. eg clicking the down
    > arrow button does not display a list of folders, and clicking the
    > OK button does not save the bookmark.
    >
    > The bookmarks.html file (now back in its original location) looks
    > ok when opened in FF - no obvious corruptions), the file hasn't
    > got flagged as read-only, and the file owner is still me. Have
    > also tried reinstalling latest version of FF.
    >
    > Any ideas what's wrong or what else I can try please.
    >
    > Thanks, David.
    > (remove _notme to email)

    Problem fixed - seemed to be a corrupt FF profile. Saved a copy of
    my bookmarks.html file, deleted the old profile, started FF and it
    built a new profile. Updated all my options settings and then copied
    back in the saved bookmarks.html file. All seems ok.
    and allowed FF to build a new one. Oh - also had to reinstall all my
    extensions, but a good opportunity to undertake some spring cleaning!
    David.

    DavidM, Jun 12, 2006