    I have been running scan disk for a couple of years without problem. This
    is a new development.

    Thank you.
    Bob, Jul 23, 2004

  2. Bob

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several
    > times that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I
    > get the following message on the blue screen where the scan progress
    > should be shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
    >
    > Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I
    > do have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of
    > other such programs installed and running. Would one of these cause
    > the disk scan not to run?

    You should shut them all down and see if Scan Disk. I'll bet that if you
    ran the Dfrag, it will blow up too.

    Best practice is to shutdown anything running while using Scan Disk or
    Defrag.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 23, 2004

  3. Bob

    Stuart Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:

    > "Bob" <> wrote in
    >

    >>I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several
    >>times that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I
    >>get the following message on the blue screen where the scan progress
    >>should be shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
    >>
    >>Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I
    >>do have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of
    >>other such programs installed and running. Would one of these cause
    >>the disk scan not to run?

    > You should shut them all down and see if Scan Disk. I'll bet that if you
    > ran the Dfrag, it will blow up too.
    >
    > Best practice is to shutdown anything running while using Scan Disk or
    > Defrag.
    >
    > Duane :)

    I am not sure whether the OP is referring to an error before windows
    loads, if he is then the spyware programs or any others for that matter,
    will not be causing the problem.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Bob

    Wizard Guest

    Since scandisk on XP runs at boot all of the above are shutdown.

    Wizard, Jul 23, 2004
  5. Bob

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Wizard <> wrote in news::

    > Since scandisk on XP runs at boot all of the above are shutdown.
    >
    > Duane Arnold wrote:
    >>
    >> "Bob" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several
    >> > times that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I
    >> > get the following message on the blue screen where the scan progress
    >> > should be shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
    >> >
    >> > Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I
    >> > do have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of
    >> > other such programs installed and running. Would one of these cause
    >> > the disk scan not to run?

    >> You should shut them all down and see if Scan Disk. I'll bet that if you
    >> ran the Dfrag, it will blow up too.
    >>
    >> Best practice is to shutdown anything running while using Scan Disk or
    >> Defrag.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    Does Win 2K do the same thing? The only time I have used Scan Disk ever is on the
    work machine when it's a hard shutdown using FAT32 and it goes through that
    procedure of running Scan Disk. I have never used Scan Disk on a NTFS machine.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Bob

    Thor Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several

    times
    > that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
    > following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
    > shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
    >
    > Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I do
    > have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of other such
    > programs installed and running. Would one of these cause the disk scan

    not
    > to run?
    >
    > I have been running scan disk for a couple of years without problem. This
    > is a new development.

    Just ran into this with a customer's system recently. It was ZoneAlarm that
    was causing it. Apparantly one of their drivers loads early enough in the
    boot sequence that it screws with the AUTOCHK utility. Try uninstalling that
    if you have it.
    Thor, Jul 23, 2004
  7. Bob

    WebWalker Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:41:54 -0700, "Bob" <> wrote:

    >I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several times
    >that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
    >following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
    >shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."

    Gosh !! BSOD in Windows XP ??
    I hear that BSOD do appear just that XP will intercept it before the
    user can ever see it.

    --
    WebWalker
    WebWalker, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Bob

    mark mandel Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several

    times
    > that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
    > following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
    > shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
    >
    > Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I do
    > have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of other such
    > programs installed and running. Would one of these cause the disk scan

    not
    > to run?
    >
    > I have been running scan disk for a couple of years without problem. This
    > is a new development.
    >
    > Thank you.

    I personally haven't done this but read somewhere you can go to the Run box
    and type in "sfc/ scannow"(without quotes)to restore the autochk file.
    mark mandel, Jul 23, 2004
  9. Bob

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:10:46 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >"Bob" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several

    >times
    >> that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
    >> following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
    >> shown: "Can not open file system for direct access."
    >>
    >> Can someone suggest what is blocking me from running the disk scan? I do
    >> have Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search and Destroy and a couple of other such
    >> programs installed and running. Would one of these cause the disk scan

    >not
    >> to run?
    >>
    >> I have been running scan disk for a couple of years without problem. This
    >> is a new development.

    >Just ran into this with a customer's system recently. It was ZoneAlarm that
    >was causing it. Apparantly one of their drivers loads early enough in the
    >boot sequence that it screws with the AUTOCHK utility. Try uninstalling that
    >if you have it.

    I didn't know you could run scandisk with NTFS. I can't even find it
    on my XP system.

    Ya learn somethin' new every day.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    NUDITY...birth control for folks over 50!
    Trent©, Jul 24, 2004
  10. Bob

    Thor Guest

    > >Just ran into this with a customer's system recently. It was ZoneAlarm

    that
    > >was causing it. Apparantly one of their drivers loads early enough in the
    > >boot sequence that it screws with the AUTOCHK utility. Try uninstalling

    that
    > >if you have it.

    > I didn't know you could run scandisk with NTFS. I can't even find it
    > on my XP system.
    >
    > Ya learn somethin' new every day.

    You know that the OP meant CHKDSK. It's clear from the context of his post.
    Thor, Jul 24, 2004
  11. Bob

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:00:32 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >> >Just ran into this with a customer's system recently. It was ZoneAlarm

    >that
    >> >was causing it. Apparantly one of their drivers loads early enough in the
    >> >boot sequence that it screws with the AUTOCHK utility. Try uninstalling

    >that
    >> >if you have it.

    >> I didn't know you could run scandisk with NTFS. I can't even find it
    >> on my XP system.
    >>
    >> Ya learn somethin' new every day.

    >You know that the OP meant CHKDSK. It's clear from the context of his post.

    Actually, I really didn't. I thought maybe there was something new
    that I hadn't heard of...like maybe a new version of scandisk.

    Anyway...how is it 'clear from the context of his post'?

    His posts...and yours...with probably be archived. For posterity
    sake, SOMEBODY should correct him.

    Trent©, Jul 24, 2004
  12. Bob

    Thor Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message

    > >that

    the

    uninstalling
    > >that
    > >>
    > >> I didn't know you could run scandisk with NTFS. I can't even find it
    > >> on my XP system.
    > >>
    > >> Ya learn somethin' new every day.

    > >You know that the OP meant CHKDSK. It's clear from the context of his

    post.

    > Actually, I really didn't. I thought maybe there was something new
    > that I hadn't heard of...like maybe a new version of scandisk.
    >
    > Anyway...how is it 'clear from the context of his post'?

    This part:

    "I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several times
    that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
    following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
    shown: "Can not open file system for direct access.""

    First, since he says "the last several times", this indicates that he has
    been successful on prior occasions. Clearly since scandisk isn't part of
    WinXP, and doesn't support NTFS, he was running the boot-time CHKDSK. CHKDSK
    will not run on the boot volume from within the GUI. It forces you to
    restart so it can have unfettered access to the drive. Hence, the reason he
    mentioned restarting to run it. Secondly, the error message he is getting,
    is from CHKDSK when it can't access the file system. It's simple deductive
    reasoning. Dealing with customers for 8 years now, and their propensity to
    mangle the terminology when describing their computer problems, I have
    gotten pretty good at reading between the lines, and understanding what they
    are talking about by paying close attention to the context. I've already
    seen ZoneAlarm cause this trouble and that particular error message with
    CHKDSK, which is why I asked him about that. My theory was correct.

    > His posts...and yours...with probably be archived. For posterity
    > sake, SOMEBODY should correct him.

    You'll notice, I never used the term "scandisk" in my reply. I said
    "AUTOCHK", which is the program responsible for the scheduled boot-time
    CHKDSK in XP.
    Thor, Jul 24, 2004
  13. Bob

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 08:51:20 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >"Trent©" <> wrote in message

    >> >that

    >the

    >uninstalling
    >> >that

    >> >You know that the OP meant CHKDSK. It's clear from the context of his

    >post.
    >> >

    >> Actually, I really didn't. I thought maybe there was something new
    >> that I hadn't heard of...like maybe a new version of scandisk.
    >>
    >> Anyway...how is it 'clear from the context of his post'?

    >This part:
    >
    >"I'm running WindowsXP Home with an NTFS file system. The last several times
    >that I have restarted the computer in order to run scan disk I get the
    >following message on the blue screen where the scan progress should be
    >shown: "Can not open file system for direct access.""
    >

    >First, since he says "the last several times", this indicates that he has
    >been successful on prior occasions.

    Yes...that's what he said...running scandisk.

    >Clearly since scandisk isn't part of
    >WinXP,

    Correct. But I run it on XP on a regular basis.

    >and doesn't support NTFS,

    That's the part that threw me. And since MSFT makes changes to its
    software all the time, I thought maybe they had adapted their version
    to work on NTFS. You'll notice I didn't tell him that he was
    wrong...at that point...'cause I really didn't know.

    When he next posted...and detailed the path to the program he was
    running...I then knew he was running CHKDSK instead of scandisk.

    His post CLEARLY said scandisk...and I took him on the value of his
    post. At that point, I had no evidence that he was incorrect. And
    neither did you...or you would have corrected him.

    >he was running the boot-time CHKDSK. CHKDSK
    >will not run on the boot volume from within the GUI.

    Sure it will.

    > It forces you to
    >restart so it can have unfettered access to the drive.

    Only if you want to allow it to do repairs, etc.

    > Hence, the reason he
    >mentioned restarting to run it. Secondly, the error message he is getting,
    >is from CHKDSK when it can't access the file system. It's simple deductive
    >reasoning. Dealing with customers for 8 years now, and their propensity to
    >mangle the terminology when describing their computer problems, I have
    >gotten pretty good at reading between the lines, and understanding what they
    >are talking about by paying close attention to the context.

    And so have I. But I don't jump in unless I'm sure that he's
    wrong...and I wasn't sure.

    And neither were you. I've seen a lot of your posts...and you don't
    let these type of inaccuracies slide by.

    > I've already
    >seen ZoneAlarm cause this trouble and that particular error message with
    >CHKDSK, which is why I asked him about that. My theory was correct.

    But I feel you went to the extreme...your call, of course. I don't
    think it was necessary to completely uninstall the program...as I
    posted to him later.

    Moving on...

    Trent©, Jul 25, 2004
  14. Bob

    ProfGene Guest

    I don't know what is causing the problem but you might try running it in the
    safe mode.

    ProfGene, Jul 25, 2004
  15. Bob

    Thor Guest

    > But I feel you went to the extreme...your call, of course. I don't
    > think it was necessary to completely uninstall the program...as I
    > posted to him later.

    Actually in the case I dealt with, it was necessary to completely uninstall
    it. Merely stopping the processes didn't cover it. That WAS the first thing
    attempted, of course.
    Thor, Jul 25, 2004