Cant reset my Pix 501 FW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by konstol77, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. konstol77

    konstol77

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    :confused: I have little experience in networking, im a software developer whom is trying to setup my network at home.....

    I recently bought a pix 501 fw from ebay....and I cant seem to get the password reset based upon the configurations recommended from other posts..

    here is what i did...
    I created a crossover cable (orange and green pairs crossed)....connected that cable from interface 1 on the pix 501 to my pc (which is using xp)...

    I went into the network tcp/ip settings and changed the ip address of my pc to 192.168.1.99 and the interface of the pix to 192.168.1.100

    also, i installed tftp server (pumpkin ver 2. xx)
    when i tried to initiate, i got this error...

    anyone run across this error....your help is much appreciated...

    konstol77

    monitor> interface 1

    monitor> interface 1
    monitor> address 192.168.1.100
    address 192.168.1.100
    monitor> server 192.168.1.99
    server 192.168.1.99
    monitor> ping 192.168.1.99
    Sending 5, ..... ICMP Echoes to 192.168.1.99, timeout is 4 seconds:
    Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
    monitor> file np63.bin
    file np63.bin
    monitor> tftp
    tftp np63.bin@192.168.1.99....
    TFTP failed (return:-1 arg:0x0)
    monitor>
    konstol77, Oct 26, 2006

  2. konstol77

    nickyandersonuk

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    Messages:
    7
    no but you have just helped me i didn't realise the cross over cable went into the pc i am going to try this on my is that the correct way to install. orange cable from pix to pc ethernet port then nextwork cable to modem ?
    nickyandersonuk, Nov 1, 2006

  3. konstol77

    konstol77

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Cross over cable

    After reaching out to my networking corp.......they have informed me that
    resetting the pix is impossible because cisco employs a policy that restricts
    reset ....which explains the error im receiving...

    can anyone confirm this...
    konstol77, Nov 4, 2006