    If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.

    Any assistance is always appreciated. Thanks!

    Martin

    Martin, Jul 31, 2005

  2. Martin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    news:L5aHe.512$...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.
    >
    > The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that I
    > posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged my
    > post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to my
    > question. The latter no longer occurs.
    >
    > If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.

    Of course it's relevant. Get that ol' SP2 in place though...

    YOU set up OE to highlight the posts. It's not a default. It's probably
    something in View or Tools/Message Rules.

    As for as not replying to posts, I've never ran into that before. Have you
    considered using a different newsreader?

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Martin

    Old Gringo Guest

    Martin wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.
    >
    > The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that I
    > posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged my
    > post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to my
    > question. The latter no longer occurs.
    >
    > If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.
    >
    > Any assistance is always appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    > Martin

    As good a time as any to give it a try. :)

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Blinky the Shark, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Martin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Have you considered using a different newsreader?

    > (than OE)
    >
    > [sfx: screeching tires]
    >
    > Whoa! T-TIM said THAT? :)

    Yeah - just because I've never switched, doesn't mean I don't see the
    inherent problems with OE, and the advantages of other software ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2005
  6. Martin

    dworkin Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.
    >
    > The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that
    > I posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged
    > my post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to
    > my question. The latter no longer occurs.
    >
    > If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.
    >
    > Any assistance is always appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    > Martin

    Did you set up your email properly? Can you send regular mail? Test by
    sending yourself an email. If you can't send, then you didn't set up
    the smtp server details correctly. Check the information on your ISP's
    website (assuming you are using your ISP for mail servers). You have to
    have some sort of smtp settings to send email and to post to ng's.

    As for the flagging, I bow to the Toolman's expertise because I haven't
    used OE in years and never for a newsreader.

    Dworkin
    --
    "That'll be 10 quid."

    dworkin, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Martin

    FML Guest

    dworkin wrote:
    > Martin wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Since reformatting my hard drive, I've noticed a difference or two.
    >>
    >>The first is that I can't reply to answers provided to questions that
    >>I posted here. The second is that, prior to reformatting, if I flagged
    >>my post, the NG's title would become bold red when anyone replied to
    >>my question. The latter no longer occurs.
    >>
    >>If it's relevant I'm using XP SP1 and OE6 SP1.
    >>
    >>Any assistance is always appreciated. Thanks!
    >>
    >>Martin

    > Did you set up your email properly? Can you send regular mail? Test by
    > sending yourself an email. If you can't send, then you didn't set up
    > the smtp server details correctly. Check the information on your ISP's
    > website (assuming you are using your ISP for mail servers). You have to
    > have some sort of smtp settings to send email and to post to ng's.
    >
    > As for the flagging, I bow to the Toolman's expertise because I haven't
    > used OE in years and never for a newsreader.
    >
    > Dworkin

    You should change your sig to "That'll be 113.964 NOK".

    FML, Jul 31, 2005
  8. Martin

    Shawn Guest

    i had the same problem and was told to download sp2 which fixed the not able
    to reply problem

    Shawn, Jul 31, 2005
  9. What newsreader are you using to read/post?

    What error, if any, are you receiving when trying to reply post?

    Unlimited newsgroup access as low as $2.95
    http://www.newsgroups-download.com/

    John Spieo \(MSCE\), Aug 1, 2005
  10. Martin

    Gordon Guest

    "John Spieo (MSCE)" <> wrote in message
    > What newsreader are you using to read/post?

    JEEZE! If you right-click on the message, choose Properties and then Details
    IT WILL TELL YOU WHAT FRIGGIN NEWSREADER THE OP IS USING!

    And you say you're an "MCSE". Jeeeze, I'm glad I didn't do that if you are
    representative of that lot.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu Hoary, Pan, Thunderbird and Firefox

    Gordon, Aug 1, 2005
  11. Martin

    Shawn Guest

    says MSCE, not MCSE, MSCE must stand for moron sending crappy
    explanations:)

    Shawn, Aug 1, 2005
  12. Martin

    Gordon Guest

    "Shawn" <> wrote in message
    > says MSCE, not MCSE, MSCE must stand for moron sending crappy
    > explanations:)

    Master of Science in Communications Engineering apparently....... still just
    as moronic.

    Gordon, Aug 1, 2005
  13. Martin

    Top Guest

    > "John Spieo (MSCE)" <> wrote in message
    >> What newsreader are you using to read/post?
    >>

    > JEEZE! If you right-click on the message, choose Properties and then Details
    > IT WILL TELL YOU WHAT FRIGGIN NEWSREADER THE OP IS USING!

    > And you say you're an "MCSE". Jeeeze, I'm glad I didn't do that if you are
    > representative of that lot.

    I hatet to do this but ... What makes you think the OP was posting from
    the machine he was having problems on? If I had a problem on one
    machine I might go to another.

    Get a grip. No need for the yelling.

    Top

    Top, Aug 1, 2005
  14. Martin

    dworkin Guest

    Top wrote:

    >> "John Spieo (MSCE)" <> wrote in message
    >>> What newsreader are you using to read/post?
    >>>

    >> JEEZE! If you right-click on the message, choose Properties and then
    >> Details IT WILL TELL YOU WHAT FRIGGIN NEWSREADER THE OP IS USING!

    >> And you say you're an "MCSE". Jeeeze, I'm glad I didn't do that if
    >> you are representative of that lot.

    > I hatet to do this but ... What makes you think the OP was posting
    > from the machine he was having problems on? If I had a problem on one
    > machine I might go to another.
    >
    > Get a grip. No need for the yelling.
    >
    > Top

    He wasn't yelling at the OP. He was yelling at a guy who posted with
    Letters After His Name and with a stupid answer. Fair game on Usenet.
    It could have been far uglier.

    In all this rather long thread, the OP hasn't come back so I guess we'll
    never know if he got it fixed or be able to offer the OP some more
    help.

    Cheers,

    Dworkin
    --
    "That'll be 10 quid."

    dworkin, Aug 1, 2005
  15. Martin

    Top Guest

    > Top wrote:

    >>> "John Spieo (MSCE)" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> JEEZE! If you right-click on the message, choose Properties and then
    >>> Details IT WILL TELL YOU WHAT FRIGGIN NEWSREADER THE OP IS USING!
    >>> And you say you're an "MCSE". Jeeeze, I'm glad I didn't do that if
    >>> you are representative of that lot.

    >> I hatet to do this but ... What makes you think the OP was posting
    >> from the machine he was having problems on? If I had a problem on one
    >> machine I might go to another.
    >>
    >> Get a grip. No need for the yelling.
    >>
    >> Top

    > He wasn't yelling at the OP. He was yelling at a guy who posted with
    > Letters After His Name and with a stupid answer. Fair game on Usenet.
    > It could have been far uglier.

    > In all this rather long thread, the OP hasn't come back so I guess we'll
    > never know if he got it fixed or be able to offer the OP some more
    > help.

    > Cheers,

    > Dworkin

    I didn't say who he was yelling at. The person with the letters asked a
    civil question that made sense and the poster started yelling after
    making what I considered a stupid comment (which I said nothing about).
    Doesn't matter how many or what letters you have behind your name the
    person yelling was out of line. If you don't agree that's your opinion
    and you're welcome to it, just as I'm welcome to mine.

    Top

    Top, Aug 2, 2005
  16. Martin

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:46:41 +0000, Top wrote:

    >>> I hatet to do this but ... What makes you think the OP was posting
    >>> from the machine he was having problems on? If I had a problem on one
    >>> machine I might go to another.
    >>>
    >>> Get a grip. No need for the yelling.
    >>>
    >>> Top

    >> He wasn't yelling at the OP. He was yelling at a guy who posted with
    >> Letters After His Name and with a stupid answer. Fair game on Usenet.
    >> It could have been far uglier.

    >> In all this rather long thread, the OP hasn't come back so I guess we'll
    >> never know if he got it fixed or be able to offer the OP some more
    >> help.

    >> Cheers,

    >> Dworkin

    > I didn't say who he was yelling at. The person with the letters asked a
    > civil question that made sense and the poster started yelling after
    > making what I considered a stupid comment (which I said nothing about).
    > Doesn't matter how many or what letters you have behind your name the
    > person yelling was out of line. If you don't agree that's your opinion
    > and you're welcome to it, just as I'm welcome to mine.
    >
    > Top

    The poster I was YELLING at, having asked the same question a
    number of times before, has been told a number of times in this newsgroup
    by various people, how to ascertain what client a poster is using. I
    apologise to all MCSEs on this group for having mis-read MSCE as MCSE!

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.04, Pan, Firefox and Evolution

    Gordon, Aug 2, 2005