    Norton antivirus is still on my system, and prevents Avast from functioning
    fully. Searching for Norton and Symantec has not enabled me to locate the
    program. I have Windows XP. Does anyone know how I can remove Norton??
    Andy1973, Dec 25, 2007

  2. Andy1973

    William Guest

    On 25 Dec, 03:27, "Andy1973" <>
    wrote:
    > I want to move to Avast 4 from Norton, which came as part of BT Online
    > protection.  I've used Add/Remove programs to remove Norton, both antivirus
    > and personal firewall, and on a further pass these components are not listed
    > as being within BT online protection.  However, (after several reboots)
    > Norton antivirus is still on my system, and prevents Avast from functioning
    > fully.  Searching for Norton and Symantec has not enabled me to locate the
    > program.  I have Windows XP.  Does anyone know how I can remove Norton??

    Go to http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    and download the official removal tool.

    --
    WH
    William, Dec 25, 2007

  3. Andy1973

    richard Guest

    Re: Can't remove Norton - SymNRT.exe (1/4)

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:31:05 -0800, Scribner <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:40:29 -0800 (PST), William
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On 25 Dec, 03:27, "Andy1973" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>> I want to move to Avast 4 from Norton, which came as part of BT Online
    >>> protection.  I've used Add/Remove programs to remove Norton, both antivirus
    >>> and personal firewall, and on a further pass these components are not listed
    >>> as being within BT online protection.  However, (after several reboots)
    >>> Norton antivirus is still on my system, and prevents Avast from functioning
    >>> fully.  Searching for Norton and Symantec has not enabled me to locate the
    >>> program.  I have Windows XP.  Does anyone know how I can remove Norton??

    >>Go to http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    >>and download the official removal tool.

    You dumbass. Never never never post an attachment to a text group.
    Being an "exe" file many newsreaders will launch it automatically on
    receipt. Should that file contain a virus, you'd be in deep shit. Not
    only from readers, but your ISP as well.

    Unless the word "binaries" is in the group name, send nothing but pure
    text messages.
    richard, Dec 25, 2007
  4. Andy1973

    kraftee Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:31:05 -0800, Scribner <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 19:40:29 -0800 (PST), William
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Go to
    >>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    >>> and download the official removal tool.

    > You dumbass. Never never never post an attachment to a text group.
    > Being an "exe" file many newsreaders will launch it automatically on
    > receipt. Should that file contain a virus, you'd be in deep shit.
    > Not only from readers, but your ISP as well.
    >
    > Unless the word "binaries" is in the group name, send nothing but
    > pure text messages.

    Fraid you are the 'dumbass', URL's are perfectly acceptable in any
    text group. It's whether the URL is correct which is the relevant
    point & that depends on the poster.
    kraftee, Dec 25, 2007
  5. Re: Can't remove Norton - SymNRT.exe (1/4)

    With little else to do on xmas eve the poster known as
    "richard" <> wrote in message
    decided to confirm he is a noob with a lot to learn.
    And he wrote this crap:

    > You dumbass. Never never never post an attachment to a text group.
    > Being an "exe" file many newsreaders will launch it automatically on
    > receipt. Should that file contain a virus, you'd be in deep shit. Not
    > only from readers, but your ISP as well.
    >
    > Unless the word "binaries" is in the group name, send nothing but pure
    > text messages.

    It is nothing but a pure text message you numbnuts, the link is just that.
    There is no attachment. You really are a stoopid timewaster.
    just browsing, Dec 25, 2007
  6. Andy1973

    William Guest

    On 25 Dec, 06:14, richard <> wrote:
    > You dumbass. Never never never post an attachment to a text group.
    > Being an "exe" file many newsreaders will launch it automatically on
    > receipt. Should that file contain a virus, you'd be in deep shit. Not
    > only from readers, but your ISP as well.

    Richard, other posters have offered you a clue, why not go and get it.

    What I posted was a URL not an EXE. Here are two more URLs:

    1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL

    2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXE

    Take a read of those, and see if they have any clues.

    --
    WH
    William, Dec 25, 2007
  7. Andy1973

    Alfred Guest

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 03:32:23 -0800, William wrote:

    > On 25 Dec, 06:14, richard <> wrote:
    >> You dumbass. Never never never post an attachment to a text group.
    >> Being an "exe" file many newsreaders will launch it automatically on
    >> receipt. Should that file contain a virus, you'd be in deep shit. Not
    >> only from readers, but your ISP as well.

    > Richard, other posters have offered you a clue, why not go and get it.
    >
    > What I posted was a URL not an EXE. Here are two more URLs:

    You posted an attachment. I have it here on my newsreader. it asks if I
    want to save it.It is called SymNRT.exe and is about 750KB.

    Dumbass is quite a mild expression to describe someone stupid enough to
    post an attachment to a news group.

    > 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL
    >
    > 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXE
    >
    > Take a read of those, and see if they have any clues.

    Moron
    Alfred, Dec 25, 2007
  8. Re: Can't remove Norton - SymNRT.exe (1/4)

    "Alfred" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 03:32:23 -0800, William wrote:
    >
    >> On 25 Dec, 06:14, richard <> wrote:
    >>> You dumbass. Never never never post an attachment to a text group.
    >>> Being an "exe" file many newsreaders will launch it automatically on
    >>> receipt. Should that file contain a virus, you'd be in deep shit. Not
    >>> only from readers, but your ISP as well.

    >> Richard, other posters have offered you a clue, why not go and get it.
    >>
    >> What I posted was a URL not an EXE. Here are two more URLs:

    > You posted an attachment. I have it here on my newsreader. it asks if I
    > want to save it.It is called SymNRT.exe and is about 750KB.

    You dummy, it was a link to Nortons removal tool, there was no
    attachment. You and the that fool Richard have opened the URL
    and attempted to download, and of course the actual download
    is an executable. But it wasn't an attachment to the post.

    > Dumbass is quite a mild expression to describe someone stupid enough to
    > post an attachment to a news group.

    WTF were you clicking on?
    just browsing, Dec 25, 2007
  9. Re: Can't remove Norton - SymNRT.exe (1/4)

    just browsing wrote:

    > "Alfred" <> wrote:
    >> William wrote:

    >>> What I posted was a URL not an EXE. Here are two more URLs:

    >> You posted an attachment. I have it here on my newsreader. it asks if I
    >> want to save it.It is called SymNRT.exe and is about 750KB.

    That is correct. The attachment - a four-part message posted by
    *Scribner* - is 14,800 lines of binary code, attached as an .exe.

    > You dummy, it was a link to Nortons removal tool, there was no
    > attachment. You and the that fool Richard have opened the URL
    > and attempted to download, and of course the actual download
    > is an executable. But it wasn't an attachment to the post.

    "just browsing", do you see the post by "Scribner"?

    >> Dumbass is quite a mild expression to describe someone stupid enough to
    >> post an attachment to a news group.
    >>

    > WTF were you clicking on?

    I'd guess you people that do not see the attachment, are using a news
    service that stripped it from "Scribner's" post, or using an inferior
    newsreader that does not know how to combine multi-part messages. It
    *is* there.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 25, 2007
  10. Andy1973

    William Guest

    Re: Can't remove Norton - SymNRT.exe (1/4)

    On 25 Dec, 12:57, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > That is correct. The attachment - a four-part message posted by
    > *Scribner* - is 14,800 lines of binary code, attached as an .exe.

    I don't know who "Scribner" is, and I don't see his post. It's
    probably been stripped out.

    Anyway, whoever he is, he's not me. I posted a URL, not an EXE.
    Whatever "Scribner" did is not my problem. I'm not taking the rap for
    this one.

    --
    WH
    William, Dec 25, 2007
  11. Andy1973

    flickfan Guest

    Re: Can't remove Norton - SymNRT.exe (1/4)

    >> Richard, other posters have offered you a clue, why not go and get it.
    >>
    >> What I posted was a URL not an EXE. Here are two more URLs:

    >> 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL
    >>
    >> 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXE
    >>
    >> Take a read of those, and see if they have any clues.

    Can a recovering usenet dummy moron offer one? one of many of these
    "smart"asses:) led me to a freeware program that has gotten rid of
    norton and many other programs for me; you'll have to google the site
    for "Revo Uninstaller" load it and the screen looks about like your
    "add/remove" programs list; right click on the offending files and
    continue. it even brings up registry entries to delete. follow their
    directions faithfully and your unwanted crap will just go away.
    anyway, its worked for this dimwit
    ff
    still needing help getting my thumbnails back. peace
    flickfan, Dec 25, 2007
  12. Re: Can't remove Norton - SymNRT.exe (1/4)

    William wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> That is correct. The attachment - a four-part message posted by
    >> *Scribner* - is 14,800 lines of binary code, attached as an .exe.

    > I don't know who "Scribner" is, and I don't see his post. It's
    > probably been stripped out.

    ...as I suggested. You didn't see his post.

    > Anyway, whoever he is, he's not me. I posted a URL, not an EXE.

    This is true. <g>

    > Whatever "Scribner" did is not my problem. I'm not taking the rap for
    > this one.

    I'll agree with you there. "richard" (although correct in his sentiments
    about binary posting) replied to the wrong post. He replied in parallel
    to the "Scribner" post, probably so he would not have to download the
    fourteen thousand lines of binary code.

    You're using Google Groups, which (as I remember) does filter out
    binaries to text Usenet newsgroups.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 25, 2007
  13. Re: Can't remove Norton - SymNRT.exe (1/4)

    On 2007-12-25, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Beauregard T. Shagnasty waxed eloquently:
    snip

    > I'd guess you people that do not see the attachment, are using a news
    > service that stripped it from "Scribner's" post, or using an inferior
    > newsreader that does not know how to combine multi-part messages. It
    > *is* there.

    Looks like Giganews removed Scribner's entire post. I get the article no.,
    in the header overview, but the post is "no longer available on the server."

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead
    The Old Sourdough, Dec 25, 2007
  14. Andy1973

    Alfred Guest

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 12:42:02 +0000, just browsing wrote:

    > "Alfred" <> wrote in message

    >>> Richard, other posters have offered you a clue, why not go and get it.
    >>>
    >>> What I posted was a URL not an EXE. Here are two more URLs:

    >> You posted an attachment. I have it here on my newsreader. it asks if I
    >> want to save it.It is called SymNRT.exe and is about 750KB.

    > You dummy, it was a link to Nortons removal tool, there was no
    > attachment.

    Yes there was

    You and the that fool Richard have opened the URL
    > and attempted to download, and of course the actual download
    > is an executable. But it wasn't an attachment to the post.

    yes it was.
    The post actually shows as 14760 lines. As soon as it's highlighted it asks
    for permission to save.

    >> Dumbass is quite a mild expression to describe someone stupid enough to
    >> post an attachment to a news group.
    >>

    > WTF were you clicking on?

    Fuckall.
    It downloaded as soon as I moved to the post using the tab key. I'm using
    pan on a linux system otherwise I would be contacting your ISP and
    complaining loud enough to get you tossed.

    You're a moron who shouldn't be let loose with a computer let alone a
    usenet account
    Alfred, Dec 25, 2007
  15. Andy1973

    Alfred Guest

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 13:47:11 +0000, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > William wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> That is correct. The attachment - a four-part message posted by
    >>> *Scribner* - is 14,800 lines of binary code, attached as an .exe.

    >> I don't know who "Scribner" is, and I don't see his post. It's
    >> probably been stripped out.

    > ..as I suggested. You didn't see his post.
    >
    >> Anyway, whoever he is, he's not me. I posted a URL, not an EXE.

    > This is true. <g>
    >
    >> Whatever "Scribner" did is not my problem. I'm not taking the rap for
    >> this one.

    > I'll agree with you there. "richard" (although correct in his sentiments
    > about binary posting) replied to the wrong post. He replied in parallel
    > to the "Scribner" post, probably so he would not have to download the
    > fourteen thousand lines of binary code.

    Looks like I replied to the wrong post too.
    Going back it looks like he's (scribner) posted 2.

    Apologies to previous poster

    Alfred, Dec 25, 2007
  16. Andy1973

    JANA Guest

    Re: Can't remove Norton - SymNRT.exe (1/4)

    Just to mention, some ISP news services strip out all attachments and any
    type of scripting code. If you are using Outlook Express, the security
    setting to not allow attachments to be opened should be turned on by
    default.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "just browsing" <> wrote in message

    JANA, Dec 25, 2007
  17. Andy1973

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 08:15:37 -0600, The Old Sourdough <> wrote:

    >On 2007-12-25, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Beauregard T. Shagnasty waxed eloquently:
    >snip
    >

    >> I'd guess you people that do not see the attachment, are using a news
    >> service that stripped it from "Scribner's" post, or using an inferior
    >> newsreader that does not know how to combine multi-part messages. It
    >> *is* there.
    >>

    >Looks like Giganews removed Scribner's entire post. I get the article no.,
    >in the header overview, but the post is "no longer available on the server."

    I didn't see it in Supernews, either.

    --
    In Memoriam
    For Roz, Oct. 1, 2007 - 12/16/07
    Mara, Dec 25, 2007
  18. Andy1973

    chuckcar Guest

    "Andy1973" <> wrote in

    > I want to move to Avast 4 from Norton, which came as part of BT Online
    > protection. I've used Add/Remove programs to remove Norton, both
    > antivirus and personal firewall, and on a further pass these
    > components are not listed as being within BT online protection.
    > However, (after several reboots) Norton antivirus is still on my
    > system, and prevents Avast from functioning fully. Searching for
    > Norton and Symantec has not enabled me to locate the program. I have
    > Windows XP. Does anyone know how I can remove Norton??

    Norton is a product *line* not a specific product. It's kind of like
    saying I drive a Mercury as opposed to a Grand Marquis. Check if
    whichever is left is still listed under programs in the start menu and
    if so use the uninstall there. This should always be the first method
    you try with any program.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Dec 25, 2007
  19. Andy1973

    nobody > Guest

    kraftee wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:31:05 -0800, Scribner <>
    >> wrote:

    >> You dumbass. Never never never post an attachment to a text group.
    >> Being an "exe" file many newsreaders will launch it automatically on
    >> receipt. Should that file contain a virus, you'd be in deep shit.
    >> Not only from readers, but your ISP as well.
    >>
    >> Unless the word "binaries" is in the group name, send nothing but
    >> pure text messages.

    > Fraid you are the 'dumbass', URL's are perfectly acceptable in any
    > text group. It's whether the URL is correct which is the relevant
    > point & that depends on the poster.

    "kraftee", evidently giganews.com filters out binaries here. The rest
    of us saw 4 parts of the exe file.
    nobody >, Dec 26, 2007
  20. Andy1973

    nobody > Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > "Andy1973" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I want to move to Avast 4 from Norton, which came as part of BT Online
    >> protection. I've used Add/Remove programs to remove Norton, both
    >> antivirus and personal firewall, and on a further pass these
    >> components are not listed as being within BT online protection.
    >> However, (after several reboots) Norton antivirus is still on my
    >> system, and prevents Avast from functioning fully. Searching for
    >> Norton and Symantec has not enabled me to locate the program. I have
    >> Windows XP. Does anyone know how I can remove Norton??
    >>

    > Norton is a product *line* not a specific product. It's kind of like
    > saying I drive a Mercury as opposed to a Grand Marquis. Check if
    > whichever is left is still listed under programs in the start menu and
    > if so use the uninstall there. This should always be the first method
    > you try with any program.

    Guess again Chucky,,,, Symantec's uninstall program removes ALL Norton
    and Symantec branded programs. In this case, it's faster to use the tool
    at
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    than to use Windows uninstall.
    nobody >, Dec 26, 2007