    mail 1 of 56 and just hangs there for hours till the server times out. What
    can I do?
    TIA for any suggestions.
    Kyle, Jan 16, 2009

  2. Kyle wrote:

    > I can send but can't recieve. I use Outlook Express 6. It says
    > recieving mail 1 of 56 and just hangs there for hours till the
    > server times out. What can I do? TIA for any suggestions.

    I'd start by logging in to your webmail access page, and see if there is
    some malformed message waiting in the cue. If so, delete it. OE is known
    for not being able to handle messages with messed-up headers.

    Other possibilities, of course, are borked server settings in Outhouse
    Distress.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 16, 2009

  3. Kyle

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:36:56 -0800, "Kyle"
    <> wrote:

    >I can send but can't recieve. I use Outlook Express 6. It says recieving
    >mail 1 of 56 and just hangs there for hours till the server times out. What
    >can I do?
    >TIA for any suggestions.

    Log into the webmail for your mail provider, find the message that's
    maybe spam or too large, and delete it.
    Evan Platt, Jan 16, 2009
  4. Kyle

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:33:35 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >OE is known for not being able to handle messages

    Yep. Ain't that the truth.
    Evan Platt, Jan 16, 2009
  5. Kyle

    VanguardLH Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:33:35 -0500, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>OE is known for not being able to handle messages

    > Yep. Ain't that the truth.

    Actually I've found more often that the server can't handle the
    malformed record for the item in the mailbox. OE might not be able to
    retrieve but even using a shell account to use 'mail' (a command-line
    e-mail client) won't work because it is the server that cannot access or
    proffer the item - but you can delete it to get your mailbox working
    again with e-mail clients. Tis why the suggestion to use the webmail
    interface to the account to delete the corrupted item gets e-mail
    working again regardless of which e-mail client is used.

    Using the webmail interface, sometimes you can simply look at each item
    in your Inbox folder to see when an error occurs to point at which item
    is corrupted and the server cannot proffer it even in the webmail
    interface. If the webmail interface won't let you look at your Inbox
    items, maybe you can still manipulate them. If using POP, and because
    POP only has the concept of a mailbox and not of any folders within it,
    and rather than deleting all e-mails to get e-mail working again, use
    the webmail interface to create a user folder and move all items in the
    Inbox folder to the user folder. The Inbox folder in the webmail
    interface is the mailbox that the POP client will see. Add one or a
    couple items at a time back from the user folder back into the Inbox
    folder using the webmail interface. Retry polling using your e-mail
    client, whatever it is. Eventually you'll hit the bad item and can
    simply delete that one without losing the rest. You could do similar if
    using IMAP but the folder where you move the items must not be
    subscribed by your e-mail client (i.e., you're trying to hide the items
    and then bring them back into view to your e-mail client at one or a
    couple at a time until the mail poll fails to know which one was the
    corrupted one).

    Everytime I've had a problem with the server not being able to proffer
    an e-mail (after establishing a successful mail session with the client)
    whether using OE, Tbird, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, etc., got fixed by
    using the webmail interface to move the items out of the Inbox (deleting
    them all if unimportant or moving elsewhere and bring back one at a
    time) got the e-mail working again. Not many users now have access to
    shell accounts. After moving to a national ISP and now with the
    monopolistic broadband cable provider in my current area, I don't get
    shell accounts to use a command-line mail client; however, so far, the
    webmail agent has been sufficient in nearly most cases and only a couple
    times over many years have I needed to get the ISP to reset my account
    (by deleting all mailbox/Inbox items).
    VanguardLH, Jan 16, 2009