Can't receive Net, but see traffic, and can VOIP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by zofficedepot@hotmail.com, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Suddenly I became unable to receive anything at home over the net. In
    the past I've corrected this either with repowering or shutting down
    XP - home (as opposed to my typical hibernation). But not this time :
    ( I'm a heavy PC user and applications programmer, but a real IP and
    connectivity moron, so bear with me. And I know this is long, but I'm
    trying to get you everything relevant.

    I have Time-Warner cable (a.k.a. Road Runner) configured in this order
    wall
    Cable Modem
    Linksys router (non wireless)
    PC with XP
    Sygate Personal Firewall and Windows (XP) firewall
    Internet Explorer 6

    Vonage supplied the router. I use VOIP. This is the only thing that
    works! No web. No Messenger. No anything else that uses the Net.

    I've tried overnight powerdowns, even plug away from wall; full XP
    shutdowns; clicking on "automatically detect settings" under LAN
    settings, and back off again; bypassed the router; while bypassing
    tried the other ethernet cable instead; disabled both firewalls.

    WHAT I SUSPECT TELLS THE MOST:

    Checking the Sygate traffic log, almost 100% of the trickle of traffic
    shows 192.168.15.100 (or .255). It SHOULD show things like the Google
    IP and everywhere else I try to browse. But there's not even an
    ATTEMPT to connect to Google shown. (And if some firewall rule was
    blocking, that should have shown on the log.)

    The only remote host address among dozens of 192.168.15.xxx log
    entries is 10.8.0.1. However, sadly, I can't even backtrace that with
    Sygate Firewall, 'cuz I can't get to the Net :( :( :)

    Watching the firewall's activity graph, while clicking "hide broadcast
    traffic," I see blips from my webmail checker - but only outgoing, and
    zero bytes incoming. And when Roadrunner support tried remote
    diagnosis, I could see both incoming AND outgoing blips.

    ROADRUNNER support says I have a bad NIC card. Is this all I can try?!
    Sounds bogus to me. What about the blips on the Firewall graph?

    Finally, if I uncheck "hide broadcast traffic" I can see continuous
    movement on the activity graph. Tiny, but something. This is like
    "noise" that just buzzes along, regardless of whether I have an
    application attempting traffic.

    What can I try now?

    , Apr 18, 2007

  2. On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:43:43 -0700, zofficedepot wrote:

    > Suddenly I became unable to receive anything at home over the net. In
    > the past I've corrected this either with repowering or shutting down
    > XP - home (as opposed to my typical hibernation). But not this time :
    > ( I'm a heavy PC user and applications programmer, but a real IP and
    > connectivity moron, so bear with me. And I know this is long, but I'm
    > trying to get you everything relevant.
    >
    > I have Time-Warner cable (a.k.a. Road Runner) configured in this order
    > wall
    > Cable Modem
    > Linksys router (non wireless)
    > PC with XP
    > Sygate Personal Firewall and Windows (XP) firewall
    > Internet Explorer 6
    >
    > Vonage supplied the router. I use VOIP. This is the only thing that
    > works! No web. No Messenger. No anything else that uses the Net.
    >
    > I've tried overnight powerdowns, even plug away from wall; full XP
    > shutdowns; clicking on "automatically detect settings" under LAN
    > settings, and back off again; bypassed the router; while bypassing
    > tried the other ethernet cable instead; disabled both firewalls.
    >
    > WHAT I SUSPECT TELLS THE MOST:
    >
    > Checking the Sygate traffic log, almost 100% of the trickle of traffic
    > shows 192.168.15.100 (or .255). It SHOULD show things like the Google
    > IP and everywhere else I try to browse. But there's not even an
    > ATTEMPT to connect to Google shown. (And if some firewall rule was
    > blocking, that should have shown on the log.)
    >
    > The only remote host address among dozens of 192.168.15.xxx log
    > entries is 10.8.0.1. However, sadly, I can't even backtrace that with
    > Sygate Firewall, 'cuz I can't get to the Net :( :( :)
    >
    > Watching the firewall's activity graph, while clicking "hide broadcast
    > traffic," I see blips from my webmail checker - but only outgoing, and
    > zero bytes incoming. And when Roadrunner support tried remote
    > diagnosis, I could see both incoming AND outgoing blips.
    >
    > ROADRUNNER support says I have a bad NIC card. Is this all I can try?!
    > Sounds bogus to me. What about the blips on the Firewall graph?
    >
    > Finally, if I uncheck "hide broadcast traffic" I can see continuous
    > movement on the activity graph. Tiny, but something. This is like
    > "noise" that just buzzes along, regardless of whether I have an
    > application attempting traffic.
    >
    > What can I try now?

    Can you ping yahoo.com? If not can you ping it's IP
    216.109.112.135?

    Nappy Headed Ho, Apr 18, 2007

  3. Guest

    (using Google Groups, with funky latency - I apologize if this is a re-
    post)

    > Can you ping yahoo.com? If not can you ping it's IP 216.109.112.135

    Actually from command prompt I can just type ping www.yahoo.com,
    right? I'll try that tonight. I'm only able to communicate here from
    the office!

    Now that you mention it, right before saying "replace your NIC" the
    roadrunner phone technician said "Yes, I can ping your machine" and
    reported something like 20 MS response time. So what's stopping the
    web? Does bad NIC make sense given he could ping? I just want to not
    spend $20 for nothing.

    , Apr 18, 2007
  4. On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:30:14 -0700, zofficedepot wrote:

    > (using Google Groups, with funky latency - I apologize if this is a re-
    > post)
    >
    >> Can you ping yahoo.com? If not can you ping it's IP 216.109.112.135

    > Actually from command prompt I can just type ping www.yahoo.com,
    > right? I'll try that tonight. I'm only able to communicate here from
    > the office!
    >
    > Now that you mention it, right before saying "replace your NIC" the
    > roadrunner phone technician said "Yes, I can ping your machine" and
    > reported something like 20 MS response time. So what's stopping the
    > web? Does bad NIC make sense given he could ping? I just want to not
    > spend $20 for nothing.

    I'm trying to determine if you PC can resolve names into an IP address.
    From the command prompt type: ping yahoo.com. If it resolves it will
    respond, if not then there are other things that can be checked.

    Nappy Headed Ho, Apr 18, 2007
  5. Guest

    > I'm trying to determine if you PC can resolve names into an IP address.
    > From the command prompt type: ping yahoo.com. If it resolves it will
    > respond, if not then there are other things that can be checked.

    Ba-ba-

    Thanks if you'll check tomorrow - I have to cross a pond and back to
    try anything...including hardware swaps.

    BOUIE! Don I. is the unking!

    , Apr 18, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Apr 18, 1:35 pm, Nappy Headed Ho <> wrote:
    > >> Can you ping yahoo.com? If not can you ping it's IP 216.109.112.135

    > > Actually from command prompt I can just type pingwww.yahoo.com,
    > > right? I'll try that tonight. I'm only able to communicate here from
    > > the office!

    > > Now that you mention it, right before saying "replace your NIC" the
    > > roadrunner phone technician said "Yes, I can ping your machine" and
    > > reported something like 20 MS response time. So what's stopping the
    > > web? Does bad NIC make sense given he could ping? I just want to not
    > > spend $20 for nothing.

    > I'm trying to determine if you PC can resolve names into an IP address.
    > From the command prompt type: ping yahoo.com. If it resolves it will
    > respond, if not then there are other things that can be checked.

    Thanks for the intelligent diagnosis. I was quite surprised to find
    the problem indeed was a faulty NIC. Everything turned cherry when I
    inserted a new one. Weird, in that I could see broadcast activity
    192.* with the firewall, but nothing meaningful was getting through.

    , Apr 19, 2007
  7. Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 07:30:22 -0700, zofficedepot wrote:

    >> > Actually from command prompt I can just type pingwww.yahoo.com,
    >> > right? I'll try that tonight. I'm only able to communicate here from
    >> > the office!

    >> > Now that you mention it, right before saying "replace your NIC" the
    >> > roadrunner phone technician said "Yes, I can ping your machine" and
    >> > reported something like 20 MS response time. So what's stopping the
    >> > web? Does bad NIC make sense given he could ping? I just want to not
    >> > spend $20 for nothing.

    >> I'm trying to determine if you PC can resolve names into an IP address.
    >> From the command prompt type: ping yahoo.com. If it resolves it will
    >> respond, if not then there are other things that can be checked.

    > Thanks for the intelligent diagnosis. I was quite surprised to find
    > the problem indeed was a faulty NIC. Everything turned cherry when I
    > inserted a new one. Weird, in that I could see broadcast activity
    > 192.* with the firewall, but nothing meaningful was getting through.

    Glad to hear this. Hardware problems don't surprise me much. My router
    won't route any PC that is assigned an ip address of 192.168.1.100. Very
    strange and there is no reason as i have not assigned any access
    restrictions.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794