    Breakin' Guest

    Is there a setting to view these type files or do I need a special NG
    program. Mozilla and netscape only show a bunch of code..
    Breakin', Nov 20, 2004

  2. Breakin'

    Rob K Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:05:21 GMT, Breakin' wrote:

    > Is there a setting to view these type files or do I need a special NG
    > program. Mozilla and netscape only show a bunch of code..

    To view them ? You'll see the exact 'bunch of code' using Mozilla and
    Netscape .... If OTOH you mean 'put them back together' and decode them,
    try reading a bit of prose by gangle:

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries:
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    the easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/

    Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

    /end quote/
    Rob K, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Breakin'

    Breakin' Guest

    Rob K wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:05:21 GMT, Breakin' wrote:
    >

    >>Is there a setting to view these type files or do I need a special NG
    >>program. Mozilla and netscape only show a bunch of code..

    > To view them ? You'll see the exact 'bunch of code' using Mozilla and
    > Netscape .... If OTOH you mean 'put them back together' and decode them,
    > try reading a bit of prose by gangle:
    >
    > To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    > click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    > click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    > highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    > "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    > order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    > When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    > a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    > bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    > line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    > "save as" and, within the browser window that
    > appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    > save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    > PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.
    >
    > IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    > a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    > posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    > in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    > makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    > while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    > download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    > to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    > such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    > http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    > or Xnews (free):
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    > or Gravity (free):
    > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    > for downloading binaries.
    > Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    > for downloading binaries:
    > http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    > You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
    > and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    > the above programs to retrieve binaries.
    >
    > Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
    > You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
    > the easiest being yProxy:
    > http://www.brawnylads.com/software/
    >
    > Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
    > practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
    > mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.
    >
    > /end quote/

    Thank you very much, that was very helpful...
    Breakin', Nov 21, 2004