Can't read 8GB SD card

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Jan 11, 2009.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    I've been asked to burn a DVD movie for someone. They gave me an 8GB SD
    card containing the video file and my intention was to plug it into my 16-
    in-1 card reader, copy the file to a computer and then burn it to DVD.

    First off, I tried it with my main system (Mandriva 2009.0) and it wasn't
    detected. Next I tried it on my son's Win XP laptop (after installing the
    drivers for the card reader, just in case). As soon as I plugged the card
    in, the desktop froze until I removed it. I haven't tried it on either of
    my Ubuntu systems or on the macbook yet, although I tried it on my
    daughter's XP laptop- I got the same freeze until I removed the card.

    Does anyone have any ideas of what's required on any of these systems to
    read this fucking file on the card?

    If it's of any use, the 16-in-1 card reader is a Trust CR-1200.

    Aardvark, Jan 11, 2009

  2. Aardvark

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 23:12:51 GMT, Aardvark <> wrote:

    >I've been asked to burn a DVD movie for someone. They gave me an 8GB SD
    >card containing the video file and my intention was to plug it into my 16-
    >in-1 card reader, copy the file to a computer and then burn it to DVD.
    >
    >First off, I tried it with my main system (Mandriva 2009.0) and it wasn't
    >detected. Next I tried it on my son's Win XP laptop (after installing the
    >drivers for the card reader, just in case). As soon as I plugged the card
    >in, the desktop froze until I removed it. I haven't tried it on either of
    >my Ubuntu systems or on the macbook yet, although I tried it on my
    >daughter's XP laptop- I got the same freeze until I removed the card.
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas of what's required on any of these systems to
    >read this fucking file on the card?
    >
    >If it's of any use, the 16-in-1 card reader is a Trust CR-1200.

    I have a 1GB card that will do that once in awhile when I insert it into the
    built-in card reader on my XP laptop - everything just freezes. At that point I
    either have to try re-inserting the card several times until it finally works,
    or remove the card, shut the system down, insert the card, and boot back up,
    which works about 75% of the time. I'm pretty sure it's because that card has
    seen a LOT of use over the past couple of years.

    --
    Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
    you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865

    Mara, Jan 11, 2009

  3. Aardvark

    PeeCee Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > I've been asked to burn a DVD movie for someone. They gave me an 8GB SD
    > card containing the video file and my intention was to plug it into my 16-
    > in-1 card reader, copy the file to a computer and then burn it to DVD.
    >
    > First off, I tried it with my main system (Mandriva 2009.0) and it wasn't
    > detected. Next I tried it on my son's Win XP laptop (after installing the
    > drivers for the card reader, just in case). As soon as I plugged the card
    > in, the desktop froze until I removed it. I haven't tried it on either of
    > my Ubuntu systems or on the macbook yet, although I tried it on my
    > daughter's XP laptop- I got the same freeze until I removed the card.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas of what's required on any of these systems to
    > read this fucking file on the card?
    >
    > If it's of any use, the 16-in-1 card reader is a Trust CR-1200.
    >

    > --
    > The month of March in this year of 2009 sees the centenary of the laying
    > of the keel of the most famous (or infamous) ocean liner of all time, RMS
    > Titanic, at Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast.
    > < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic>

    The 8GB SD is SDHC
    The card reader likely only SD.
    SD readers can't 'see' SDHC

    SD max = 4GB
    SDHC max = 32GB
    SDXC max = 2TB (Announced 2009 CES)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 11, 2009
  4. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:36:18 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > I have a 1GB card that will do that once in awhile when I insert it into
    > the built-in card reader on my XP laptop - everything just freezes. At
    > that point I either have to try re-inserting the card several times
    > until it finally works, or remove the card, shut the system down, insert
    > the card, and boot back up, which works about 75% of the time. I'm
    > pretty sure it's because that card has seen a LOT of use over the past
    > couple of years.

    This particular card is a brand spanker and the only file that has ever
    been put on it is this vid file.

    Oh well, I'll give the insert/reinsert a few times and see what it does.

    Cheers.

    Aardvark, Jan 12, 2009
  5. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:46:43 +1300, PeeCee wrote:

    > The 8GB SD is SDHC
    > The card reader likely only SD.
    > SD readers can't 'see' SDHC

    I had a feeling that the explanation would be something along those lines.

    Thanks anyway and thanks for the link.

    Aardvark, Jan 12, 2009
  6. Aardvark

    PeeCee Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:46:43 +1300, PeeCee wrote:
    >
    >> The 8GB SD is SDHC
    >> The card reader likely only SD.
    >> SD readers can't 'see' SDHC

    > I had a feeling that the explanation would be something along those lines.
    >
    > Thanks anyway and thanks for the link.
    >

    > --
    > The month of March in this year of 2009 sees the centenary of the laying
    > of the keel of the most famous (or infamous) ocean liner of all time, RMS
    > Titanic, at Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast.
    > < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic>

    Last minute thought, the $2/3/4/5 shops had a USB SD card reader (in
    Hamilton anyway) recently
    The 4 I grabbed all proved to be SDHC, might be worth looking at.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 12, 2009
  7. Aardvark

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 00:08:37 GMT, Aardvark <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:36:18 -0600, Mara wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 1GB card that will do that once in awhile when I insert it into
    >> the built-in card reader on my XP laptop - everything just freezes. At
    >> that point I either have to try re-inserting the card several times
    >> until it finally works, or remove the card, shut the system down, insert
    >> the card, and boot back up, which works about 75% of the time. I'm
    >> pretty sure it's because that card has seen a LOT of use over the past
    >> couple of years.

    >This particular card is a brand spanker and the only file that has ever
    >been put on it is this vid file.
    >
    >Oh well, I'll give the insert/reinsert a few times and see what it does.
    >
    >Cheers.

    Also, sometimes the hardware can't read cards above a certain size. For example,
    my camera can't use above a 2Gb size. I couldn't find anything about your reader
    after a quick look, though. I would have thought if it was brand new it ought to
    be capable, but you never know.

    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865

    Mara, Jan 12, 2009
  8. Aardvark

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:46:43 +1300, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    >"Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> I've been asked to burn a DVD movie for someone. They gave me an 8GB SD
    >> card containing the video file and my intention was to plug it into my 16-
    >> in-1 card reader, copy the file to a computer and then burn it to DVD.
    >>
    >> First off, I tried it with my main system (Mandriva 2009.0) and it wasn't
    >> detected. Next I tried it on my son's Win XP laptop (after installing the
    >> drivers for the card reader, just in case). As soon as I plugged the card
    >> in, the desktop froze until I removed it. I haven't tried it on either of
    >> my Ubuntu systems or on the macbook yet, although I tried it on my
    >> daughter's XP laptop- I got the same freeze until I removed the card.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any ideas of what's required on any of these systems to
    >> read this fucking file on the card?
    >>
    >> If it's of any use, the 16-in-1 card reader is a Trust CR-1200.
    >>

    >> --
    >> The month of March in this year of 2009 sees the centenary of the laying
    >> of the keel of the most famous (or infamous) ocean liner of all time, RMS
    >> Titanic, at Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast.
    >> < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic>

    >The 8GB SD is SDHC
    >The card reader likely only SD.
    >SD readers can't 'see' SDHC
    >
    >SD max = 4GB
    >SDHC max = 32GB
    >SDXC max = 2TB (Announced 2009 CES)
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card
    >
    >Best
    >Paul.

    It will also depend on the software.
    All 3 of my machines will read an 8g sdhc with no problem.
    Put it in my brother's, nothin.

    Whle one of my laptops wouldn't even accept a 2g sd.

    richard, Jan 12, 2009
  9. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:52:46 -0600, Mara wrote:

    > I couldn't find anything
    > about your reader after a quick look, though. I would have thought if it
    > was brand new it ought to be capable, but you never know.

    No, no,no. you misunderstand. It's the SD card that's a brand spanker.
    The reader I've had from new about three years ago.

    Aardvark, Jan 12, 2009
  10. Aardvark

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 01:24:49 GMT, Aardvark <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:52:46 -0600, Mara wrote:
    >
    >> I couldn't find anything
    >> about your reader after a quick look, though. I would have thought if it
    >> was brand new it ought to be capable, but you never know.

    >No, no,no. you misunderstand. It's the SD card that's a brand spanker.
    >The reader I've had from new about three years ago.

    I see. Perhaps the SD card is too big for the reader's capabilities then?

    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865

    Mara, Jan 12, 2009

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC

    > If it's of any use, the 16-in-1 card reader is a Trust CR-1200.

    From the data sheet, it is not sdhc capable.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 12, 2009
  12. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:36:44 +0100, wisdomkiller & pain wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >
    >> I've been asked to burn a DVD movie for someone. They gave me an 8GB SD
    >> card containing the video file and my intention was to plug it into my
    >> 16- in-1 card reader, copy the file to a computer and then burn it to
    >> DVD.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC
    >
    >> If it's of any use, the 16-in-1 card reader is a Trust CR-1200.
    >>

    > From the data sheet, it is not sdhc capable.

    As I mentioned before, that confirms my suspicions. Time to buy a more
    recent model seventy-nine-in-one card reader, or whatever the most up-to
    date hardware for the purpose is these days.

    Thanks to all who answered my OP.

    Aardvark, Jan 13, 2009
  13. Aardvark

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 20:14:11 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >It will also depend on the software.

    What software?

    >All 3 of my machines will read an 8g sdhc with no problem.
    >Put it in my brother's, nothin.

    lol.. You sure you putting it in the right way?

    >Whle one of my laptops wouldn't even accept a 2g sd.

    Sounds like.... err .. hmm you were the one who had a SD card locked
    on write protect forever weren't you?

    Evan Platt, Jan 13, 2009
  14. Aardvark

    geordiemac

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    My reader wouldn't read my 8 gig for the longest time, finally I tried leaving the card in the reader and re-booted and it worked.

    geordiemac, Mar 21, 2011