    limited user i get a print failed message and then when i log on under admin
    it will print if a limited user tried printing....is here a way to be able to
    get all the users to print no matter what the setting is
    =?Utf-8?B?cGlncGVu?=, Jan 19, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cGlncGVu?=

    Lem Guest

    pigpen wrote:

    > i just installed a hp 6840 printer which wireless ready... i can print under
    > administrator setting for all of the users... but once i turn them to
    > limited user i get a print failed message and then when i log on under admin
    > it will print if a limited user tried printing....is here a way to be able to
    > get all the users to print no matter what the setting is

    A little more info, please:

    Do you get any error messages? If so, what (please try to copy them
    word-for-word)?

    What version of Windows and what service pack?

    If you have XP Pro, is your disk formatted as NTFS, and if so, have you changed
    any of the default permissions? If so, what?

    What application are you printing from? Can you print from Notepad as a Limited
    User? How about from printer properties "Print Test Page"?

    As a Limited User, can you access the printer's Embedded Web Server?

    What wireless hardware are you using? Do you have the most recent
    firmware/drivers?

    Are you using the wireless hardware for anything other than connecting to the
    printer (e.g., connecting to another printer or connecting to the Internet)? If
    so, does everything else work OK from a Limited User account?

    Are you letting Windows manage your wireless conection or are you using a utility
    supplied by the wireless manufacturer? If the latter, what's the name and what
    version?

    Can you print from a Limited User account if you connect the printer using the
    Ethernet cable that came in the printer box?
    Lem, Jan 19, 2006

  3. i am running xp home sp2.... i can print if i am logged in as
    administrator.... when logged in as limited user i get a "print failed" error
    message...... i can not print anythingas a limited user.... all the print
    jobs under limited user are spooled and then printed when i log in as
    admin... i belive i am formated ntfs... i even have gone as far as doing a
    total restore just to start fresh and still have the same problem...i do n ot
    know how to change permissions or even how to get into the print manager to
    change the permisions which i think is my problem......i know just enough
    about computers to be a danger to myself or my computer can't figure that one
    out yet
    thanks
    rich
    --
    none

    =?Utf-8?B?cGlncGVu?=, Jan 20, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?cGlncGVu?=

    Lem Guest

    pigpen wrote:

    > i am running xp home sp2.... i can print if i am logged in as
    > administrator.... when logged in as limited user i get a "print failed" error
    > message...... i can not print anythingas a limited user.... all the print
    > jobs under limited user are spooled and then printed when i log in as
    > admin... i belive i am formated ntfs... i even have gone as far as doing a
    > total restore just to start fresh and still have the same problem...i do n ot
    > know how to change permissions or even how to get into the print manager to
    > change the permisions which i think is my problem......i know just enough
    > about computers to be a danger to myself or my computer can't figure that one
    > out yet
    > thanks
    > rich

    When you are logged in as a limited user, can you use the wireless
    connection for anything else?

    When you bought the hp 6840, there should have been a cable included in
    the box. Did you use that cable when you set up the printer? Try
    connecting the cable again and log in as a limited user. Can you print now?

    With the network cable disconnected from the printer, and logged in as a
    limited user, can you access the printer's Embedded Web Server? If you
    don't know what that means, press the right-most button on the printer
    (it has a check mark above it). An "HP Deskjet 6800 Series Report Page"
    should print.
    Line 1 should say "Network Stats: Ready".
    Line 2 should say "Active Connection Type: Wireless".
    What is the URL shown on Line 3? Copy this on a piece of paper and then
    open a web browser on your PC and type the URL into the address box
    (alternatively, you can use the "Hostname" listed on Line 6). Do you
    get the printer's information pages?

    What does the report have on Lines 7, 8, 16, 20, and 21?
    Lem, Jan 20, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?cGlncGVu?=

    Lem Guest

    pigpen wrote:

    > i am running xp home sp2.... i can print if i am logged in as
    > administrator.... when logged in as limited user i get a "print failed" error
    > message...... i can not print anythingas a limited user.... all the print
    > jobs under limited user are spooled and then printed when i log in as
    > admin... i belive i am formated ntfs... i even have gone as far as doing a
    > total restore just to start fresh and still have the same problem...i do n ot
    > know how to change permissions or even how to get into the print manager to
    > change the permisions which i think is my problem......i know just enough
    > about computers to be a danger to myself or my computer can't figure that one
    > out yet
    > thanks
    > rich
    > --
    > none
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    > > pigpen wrote:
    > >
    > > > i just installed a hp 6840 printer which wireless ready... i can print under
    > > > administrator setting for all of the users... but once i turn them to
    > > > limited user i get a print failed message and then when i log on under admin
    > > > it will print if a limited user tried printing....is here a way to be able to
    > > > get all the users to print no matter what the setting is

    > > A little more info, please:
    > >
    > > Do you get any error messages? If so, what (please try to copy them
    > > word-for-word)?
    > >
    > > What version of Windows and what service pack?
    > >
    > > If you have XP Pro, is your disk formatted as NTFS, and if so, have you changed
    > > any of the default permissions? If so, what?
    > >
    > > What application are you printing from? Can you print from Notepad as a Limited
    > > User? How about from printer properties "Print Test Page"?
    > >
    > > As a Limited User, can you access the printer's Embedded Web Server?
    > >
    > > What wireless hardware are you using? Do you have the most recent
    > > firmware/drivers?
    > >
    > > Are you using the wireless hardware for anything other than connecting to the
    > > printer (e.g., connecting to another printer or connecting to the Internet)? If
    > > so, does everything else work OK from a Limited User account?
    > >
    > > Are you letting Windows manage your wireless conection or are you using a utility
    > > supplied by the wireless manufacturer? If the latter, what's the name and what
    > > version?
    > >
    > > Can you print from a Limited User account if you connect the printer using the
    > > Ethernet cable that came in the printer box?

    Rich,

    A little looking around on the microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax newsgroup suggests
    that your problem may be caused by Norton Antivirus (particularly, but perhaps not
    limited to, NAV 2002). If you have a Norton Antivirus or Internet Security product
    installed, try the following, although it will make your printing considerably slower:

    Start > Printers & Faxes, right-click the 6840 printer, and select
    Properties. In the Advanced tab, instead of the default: Spool Print
    documents so program finishes printing faster, click on Print Directly to
    Printer.

    If you have NAV 2002, I'd suggest uninstalling it and getting another a/v product. At
    the very least, it's out of date.

    You can also check the permissions on your print spool files, but this may not solve
    the problem if Norton is the cause:

    1. Boot into Safe Mode: How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe mode

    2. In Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Windows\system32\spool\ and right-click on the
    folder "printers" (depending on your installation, you may have
    c:\winnt\system32\spool\ instead).

    3. Click on "Properties" and then select the "security" tab. The top window of the
    Security tab will show various groups and perhaps individual users. When you click on
    an entry in the top window, the bottom window will show the permissions for that group
    or user. The default and minimum permissions for the ...\spool\printers\ folder are

    Name Type of Access
    ------------------ ----------------
    Creator\Owner Full Control
    Administrators Full Control
    System Full Control

    If these groups and permissions are not set this way, post back with details.

    4. Still in Safe Mode, go to Start > Printers & Faxes, then right-click on the icon
    for the 6840 printer and select the "Security" tab.

    5. There should be an "Everyone" group listed in the top window and the "Allow" column
    should show "Print" checked for this group. The Creator/Owner should be allowed to
    "Manage Documents." Post back details if different.
    Lem, Jan 20, 2006
  6. i di what you said and every one has full permissions the one thing that is
    different from what you said is goto start insafe mode printers and fax and
    right click on the printer..... i could not find the printer in safe
    mode..... under both admin accounts the windows one and the one i made
    --
    none

    =?Utf-8?B?cGlncGVu?=, Jan 20, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?cGlncGVu?=

    Lem Guest

    pigpen wrote:

> [...]

    > > Security tab will show various groups and perhaps individual users. When you click on
    > > an entry in the top window, the bottom window will show the permissions for that group
    > > or user. The default and minimum permissions for the ...\spool\printers\ folder are
    > >
    > > Name Type of Access
    > > ------------------ ----------------
    > > Creator\Owner Full Control
    > > Administrators Full Control
    > > System Full Control
    > >
    > > If these groups and permissions are not set this way, post back with details.
    > >
    > > 4. Still in Safe Mode, go to Start > Printers & Faxes, then right-click on the icon
    > > for the 6840 printer and select the "Security" tab.
    > >
    > > 5. There should be an "Everyone" group listed in the top window and the "Allow" column
    > > should show "Print" checked for this group. The Creator/Owner should be allowed to
    > > "Manage Documents." Post back details if different

    I take it from your response that you are not running any sort of Norton program.

    Trying to access the printer security tab in XP Home is a bit difficult, from what I've read
    (I don't have XP Home, so I can only pass along what others have said). The problem seems to
    be that most (all?) printer drivers are not included in the "limited set" of drivers that are
    loaded in Safe Mode.

    Try rebooting normally and logging in with one of the accounts that you created that has
    administrator privileges. Try pressing and holding the Control key while you on the
    printer's "properties".

    If that doesn't work, I hesitate to refer you to the more powerful tools available for
    messing with NTFS permissions without having first tried them out myself.

    At this point, I've about run out of ideas. The questions I asked you in earlier posts --
    several of which you haven't answered -- were attempts to narrow down the problem. That is,
    when you are logged in as a limited user, is the problem (a) that you can't communicate over
    the wireless link (b) that you can't communicate to the printer even if wired to it, or (c)
    you simply can't print, even though you can otherwise communicate with the printer?

    Assuming that as a limited user you can access the printer's Embedded Web Server via wireless
    (which I would bet that you can), and assuming that as a limited user you can't print even if
    you are connected to the printer via an ethernet cable (which I also suspect to be the case),
    the problem then has to do with printing from an XP Home limited account, rather than using
    your wireless connection.

    For further help, I suggest you post a message in the "Printing and Faxing" newsgroup
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax). Use a more descriptive subject, like Limited Account
    Can't Print. In the post, include:
    1. that you have XP Home;
    2. list the Service Pack;
    4. that you have no Norton/Symantec products installed.
    4. identify the printer;
    5. that you can use the wireless for ____ (e.g., surfing the net or sharing files) from a
    limited account
    6. that in a limited account you can access the printer's configuration utility via wireless
    but can't print;
    7. that in a limited account you can't print even if cabled to the printer;
    8. that you've checked the permissions for c:\windows\system32\spool\printers, and they seem
    to be OK;
    9. that in a limited account you have unsuccessfully tried to print from Notepad and from
    "Print a test page" on the printer's properties dialog;
    10. that you can't access the "security" tab on the printer's properties dialog because (a)
    in safe mode and logged in as the built-in Administrator, the printer doesn't appear in
    "Printer's and Faxes" and (b) in normal mode, there is no "security" tab, even if you press
    "CTRL" while clicking on "properties" in an account with administrator rights (alternatively,
    if you were able to access the "security" tab on the printer properties dialog, but the
    permissions were set OK, say that).

    Good luck. I hope you get it worked out.
    Lem, Jan 20, 2006
  8. thank you i will do that
    pigpen
    --